PDA

View Full Version : Eam 62" C-130

firemanbill
05-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Not exactly a warbird but Military none the less.

I have had this bird for a while now waiting to improve my skills enough to tackle the build and fly. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend to take her out for the maiden.

Here it is out of the box and the first few build photos

She has a 62" span running 4 permax 280's

firemanbill
05-03-2006, 01:57 AM
The build was relativaly starightforward, a lot of shaping of the stryrofoam. The shop vac came in real handy.

The nose is vacu formed plastic with remainder being pretty dense styro, good quality. the wing had 2 balsa braces that pretty much ran the witdh of the wing. I replaced them with cf for strength. Wing is three pieces.

firemanbill
05-03-2006, 03:06 AM
More photos of the wing and motor assemblies

firemanbill
05-03-2006, 03:10 AM
And the finished product... Hopefully We'll get some good weather and I can get her up this weekend!

Sky Sharkster
05-03-2006, 03:36 AM
Hi Firemanbill, nice job on the "Herc"! Hope the flight goes well.
Good Luck!
Ron

Doppelganger
05-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Holy Cow! What a beast!!:eek: It's beautiful! Gimme a link for the website where you purchased it. That thing doesn't need flaps? Or will you use flapperons?

Steve

crxmanpat
05-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Ah, the surprise is finally revealed! Very nice build Bill. Can't wait for the maiden report. I have not talked to anyone who has flown the EAM model, but I can tell you, with that much wing area, she will slow down real nice for landing. You only need to keep a touch of power on and you will grease it every time.

The only thing I didn't like about this kit is the vacu-formed nose section. I know they couldn't do a true scale herc because of those idiot lawyers at Lockheed, but I think they could have done a little better. Oh well, once it's airborne, you won't notice anyway.

Great job Bill!

Doppelganger
05-03-2006, 04:38 AM
Never mind, I found the site.

Steve

Twmaster
05-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Not a Warbird? HUH??

One word. Spectre

:D

Nice looking plane Bill.

crxmanpat
05-03-2006, 04:43 AM
And a couple more:

Compass Call (like my avatar)
Cobra Ball

Twmaster
05-03-2006, 04:47 AM
And a couple more:

Compass Call (like my avatar)
Cobra Ball

Roger that. I was however just sticking to simple one word names ;)

The Herky Bird is a warrior. A darned fine one at that.

crxmanpat
05-03-2006, 05:02 AM
Roger, wilco, over and out!

firemanbill
05-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys... I was thinking of making an AC 130 out of it eventually. It wouldn't be to hard to stick a few guns out the side of it eh? When I was stationed at Eglin we could see one of the ranges thu guys at Hurlburt Field would use for there firing range. We'd sit out back at night and watch those things fire:eek: What a sight that was... I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that!

More detailing once I get it all trimmed up and flying right.

I am going to use a flaperon setup on it with my new dx6.

Nice site they have too Steve. I love that B-17 they have. Out of my price range though

I'll do some runs tonight and get the power report and post it.

Doppelganger
05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, we wait with bated breath for the flight report!

Steve

firemanbill
05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah me too...

you know me, I have to practice holding my breath for a while to get the nerve up:D

firemanbill
05-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Well we managed to get out this afternoon. This weekend is our Annual air show and all three of the kids had either baseball or soaftball games but we managed to get her out this evening after dinner.

WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

She flies like..... well like... a C-130. The first attempt at takeoff didn't go so well due to dummy me not thinking about needing more room to take off a 2 1/2 pound airplane:eek: No problems though just had to go get it out of the grass and get to the other end of the runway.

I am runnning a common sense 11.1 v 1650 mah pulling 16.8 amps and putting 166 watts with a cc Griffin 55 amp controller and the gws 5030 props. She had more than ample power to pull up at about a 30% climb. I did not use the flaps as the current setup uses a single aileron servo. I will probably stay with that sense ther was no need for flaps at all. The turns were all nice and gentle and the flight could not have been more perfect.

Ended up taking it up three times total trying to get photos and video. I'll get the video up when I figure out how to do it since I have no idea how to get it from tape to hard drive! I really need a new camera as well. Kelly took some photos but most of them are really blurry. Our $70 Office Depot camera needs to go bye bye...

On the last flight I did lose a prop. But typical of a C-130 there were no issues with bringing it in.

All in all three flights, three greased landings and one lost prop. well not really lost, we found it and it is back on now.

This is a really cool bird! I gotta find a bigger field now:D :D :D

lshadow2005
05-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Where did you get the kit
I sure would like to build one-flew many hours in Nam on those work horses
Please send any info
thanks
bob

firemanbill
05-07-2006, 02:04 AM
bob,

It is one cool bird... I spent many an hour on them as well, primarily in the desert during the first gulf war.

This one comes from a place in Texas called electric aero modeling.

http://www.eam.net

Enjoy
Bill

Bill G
05-07-2006, 04:52 AM
WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

You gotta love it when something flies well the first time. I remember flying a slow stick with ease the first time. My response was similar, with at least as much excitement. This was after having no success with some Wattage piece of crap, which I'm too embarrassed to even name.

Twmaster
05-07-2006, 04:54 AM
Aw c'mon Bill. Tell us!

As for the Herky Bird I just got the GWS model. Can't decide whether to fly it as a 4 engine or 2, or to go Air Force or Coastie.

Darned decisions!

crxmanpat
05-07-2006, 08:04 AM
Congratulations Bill, well done! I told you it would be a gentle flyer. And no need for flaperons. I hope you can get some video posted.

Aw c'mon Bill. Tell us!

As for the Herky Bird I just got the GWS model. Can't decide whether to fly it as a 4 engine or 2, or to go Air Force or Coastie.

Darned decisions!

My 2 cents: 4 motors and Spectre Gunship!!! There are already too many Coasties and Fat Alberts. We need some variety!

firemanbill
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I sure am having fun with this bird.

Am back at work today doing the Air Show thing here on base so probably won't have a chance to get it back out for a few days.

Now that I have the Spektrum I've got that extra couple of channels so I'm trying to think of a way to open the rear hatch, (it does open on this model) Plenty of room to put some paratroopers in the back to drop out:D

warbird@home
05-08-2006, 05:43 PM
It warms the heart to hear stories like that !! I used to fly a Hercules from Innovative Aviation in Belgium, very similar construction.....had to carve out my nose though :-) lost it due to some fool firing up on the same frequency....GREAT presence in the air !!!!!!! Nice one .......:-):D :D :D

firemanbill
05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks Warbird. Sorry to hear about losing yours. Like I mentioned I've got the spektrum now so I shouldn't that worry.

I'll have to say it flew so well that this was my first maiden wher I was actually able to breathe while I was flying:D I usually get so nervous I forget to breathe...

Hopefully I will have some video to post by tomorrow, a fella I work with at the FD is converting my video so I can post it.

Bill

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 01:25 AM
OK here it is... A buddy of mine edited the video and put music to it. I'd rather hear the motors buzzing overhead but he did a great job. I'll get better video this weekend with better lighting.

http://media.putfile.com/EAM-RC-C-130-maiden-Flight

Bill

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the video Bill. Man, that is a great looking plane! It looks like it flies well too.

Steve

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Steve I can't believe how well it flies!

That's the first time I've ever been able to breath during a maiden!:D

I was shaking for about the first 30 seconds and then I thought, hey this is cool!

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 02:05 AM
I did a maiden today myself. It can sometimes be terrifying!:eek: It does help a lot when you get it up high and realize you have a winner. I think a maiden is the most exciting part of the hobby......maybe.;)

Steve

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 03:22 AM
I think a maiden is the most exciting part of the hobby......maybe.;)

Steve

I agree! It really gets my adreneline going I can tell ya:D It is such a rush to see something you've worked so hard on take off and fly like that.

We didn't put the part in the video of me and my son high fiving each other and me smiling like a cheshire cat when it was done! Maybe we should have...

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 03:37 AM
It touched me to see you and your son playing together. And you could see how much he enjoys flying, and being with his pop. All good stuff.:)

Steve

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Yup:D I've said it before... that's what it's all about! And the wife was out with us taping it! Makes it even better.

What did you maiden today?

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 03:49 AM
What did you maiden today?

I'm glad you asked.:D I maidened my Great Planes Combat Corsair. I had a friend toss it for me. She flew real nice. Just a little too docile for me. I'm going to have to find more power somehow.:eek: Or perhaps I should leave well enough alone!:)

Steve

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Cool, I love the corsair as well. Saw a real one this past weekend at our Air Show here at Langley. That is one mean looking bird.

You can always use more power ohh ohhh ohhhh! (tim allen grunt):D

Glad to hear it went well.

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 03:55 AM
Thanks Bill. BTW, Tim Allen is my hero!:D

Steve

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Tim Allen should be every mans Hero!:D :D :D LOL

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 03:58 AM
^^LOL!^^

Steve

Grasshopper
05-11-2006, 04:00 AM
Great video Bill! Looked like a really smooth flight. I have to agree that the best part was seeing you and your son doing this together. My Dad and I used to build plastic, rubber powered and control line together. After a stroke and being 77 years old now, he's no longer able to do it anymore. Trust me when I say this....Your son will remember these times forever! I know I do and I can't wait for my 3 1/2 year old son to start flying with me.

Keep up the great work as a pilot and Father!

qban_flyer
05-11-2006, 05:03 AM
My kinda bird, Warbird, that is! :D

Lovely job Bill! :)

almsy
05-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Firemanbill, nice flight! Great job on the video too. Just wanted to mention about an observation I have with my Spektrum. My slow stick went into the field last week during the forth time I took it up with the new radio, acted like I lost radio control of it so doing a range check I found with the antenna straight and pointing at the plane from 100ft, I didn't have control, but upon turning the antenna up 90 degrees, control was fine from that distance. I've read the weakest signal is when the antenna is pointed at the plane in all radios. Have you had experience with this issue before? Just wondering. I am flying mine with the antenna bent up from this point on. I'd hate to see you lose signal to that fine bird. Looked like you had your antenna straight in the video. Anyone else have information to add here concerning the Spektrum and the antenna direction?
Only broke the prop on my SS as it was stuck nose down in the plowed field, quite a site.
Once again, great looking plane!
My

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks Qban and Almsy, and welcome to WF Almsy!

Good observation on the radio, I hadn't thought of that, that was the maiden for the radio as well! I did not have any problems with it but I'll heed your advice and do that in the future:D

qban_flyer
05-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I believe those in the know refer to that area of radiation directly above the tip of the whip antenna as the "Cone Of Silence" where its radiation is at its weakest. :o

This RF's "Cone Of Silence" has nothing to do with the Maffia's "Code Of Silence",the "Omerta", and it is not as dangerous to one's life either.:D

crxmanpat
05-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Bill,

Very well done! I told you this thing would float. Nice video, thanks for sharing. I hope to get some of my GWS 130 this weekend and will post it up.

And about the radio, yes, keep the antenna on the radio angled at least 45*, and try to have the Rx antennae at 90* from each other whenever possible.

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah I got the reciever antennas at a 90 to each other. Plenty of room inside that bird for that! And I will do the tx angled from now on as well.

That's what I love about this place, you learn so much from everyones inputs.

Good luck with yours this weekend. Would love to see it as well!

Thanks again

crxmanpat
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
I've got plenty of flights on mine already, just never got any good video. Hopefully, that will happen Saturday. And some of the Cessna too, which I will put in my "Ode to..." thread.

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Bill, try not to land upside down. I hear that can be detrimental to your planes overall health. I just wanted to give some good info too!:D

Steve

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM
too late:eek:

I could have used that advice a while back...LOL

almsy
05-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Firemanbill, I did a little more searching today on the antenna orientation issue for the Spektrum and found a link to this site http://www.bergent.net/antenna_field_test.html
an article by Peter Berg (of Berg receiver fame). I have to give credit for the link to hilgert for that. Hilgert has also done field testing on the DX6 here with different antenna angles http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452817&pp=15

From Peter Berg's article, 45degree setting might be the way to go on the antenna.

I'm not sure if I lost signal to my SS, but it definately didn't seem to respond to my input. Maybe just a newbee stall and spin?:D I was out only maybe 400ft. and it just winged over and spiraled into the dirt, but I certainly could not get the control surfaces to move during the ground range check from 100 ft with the antenna pointed at the plane, but they did by just moving the antenna up.
Thanks to the welcome to WF's!

Grasshopper
05-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Since you guys are on the DX-6 subject, how critical is it that the receiver antenna are at 90 degrees to each other? I just installed my DX6 in my P-47 (hoping to maiden this weekend) and I wasn't able to get them completely at a 90. One is pointed straight back towards the tail and the other runs out towards the wing inside the fuse but then has to curve around a little under the canopy. I do like not having wires trailing out the back though.

Tom

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't think its critical GH,

It probably reduces range somewhat if they are not perfect but I'm putting my Ultmate bipe together with it and the way it sits up in canopy area I can only have both antennas come straight back. I did some checks with the button pushed on the back and was still over 100 yards away and everything was working fine, rotated the plane to all all kinds of angles and did not have any issues.

Grasshopper
05-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Cool! I'm ready to fly then. I'll certainly range check it first but with the weather we've been having, I'm having no problem with the signal reaching all the way to my work bench because that's as far as my planes are getting right now.

crxmanpat
05-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Tom,

If I remember what I had read correctly, then I don't think the 90* is critical. I have a friend with a SS Rx on his Slow Stick, and the wires are at 180*. I think the 90* is so that it will ensure the optimum receiving capability. His Stick has been hundreds of feet away, and he has had no problems.

Doppelganger
05-11-2006, 11:41 PM
too late:eek:

I could have used that advice a while back...LOL

Dang! I'm so sorry to hear that.:) I'll try do be qucker next time.;)

Steve

crxmanpat
05-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Speaking of landing upside down, I have actually done that twice with my GWS 130 :eek: Both were unintentional of course :rolleyes:

The first time, not sure what happend. Was on a takeoff roll, rotated, and it promptly did a left wingover. Wound up flipping completely over just before touching the ground. Might have had something to do with me launching downwind :o

The second time, I had accidentally put a 3S lipo in the plane instead of the 2S. Hit WOT, and it jumped! Wound up pulling off a prop on the roll (on the left side) and it flipped as soon as it went airborne due to the unbalanced thrust.

Both times, no damage! I think I was extremely lucky both times.

firemanbill
05-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Do the props just push on on the gws one? Mine do and I'm thinking of putting those small collets on it instead.

crxmanpat
05-12-2006, 12:41 AM
The GWS ones come with a prop shaft, and they are real PITAs. They slide over the motor shaft, and lock down with tiny little hex set screws. The heads of these strip very easily.

On yours, you could probably get away with using something similar as I'm sure your motor shafts are larger than these tiny EDP-50s I have. If you have 2mm or larger shafts, then all you need to do is find the appropriate sized prop shafts. GWS makes them for 1mm, 2mm and 3mm. I have a hard time finding ones for the 3mm shaft.

I will see if I can find pics to illustrate what I'm talking about.

firemanbill
05-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Mine are 2mm shafts so I should be able to find some. It'll beat pushing them on with the rubber spinner.

That's really the only cheesy part of this kit.

crxmanpat
05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Not sure of the exact GWS part number, but it ends in 002. (001 is 1mm, 002 is 2mm, etc). I have one in my box. I'll take a pic tonight and post it.

firemanbill
05-12-2006, 12:59 AM
cool, Thanks Pat:D

crxmanpat
05-12-2006, 04:40 AM
OK, here it is. This is the 2mm adapter (don't let the size of the pic fool you, this is very close up). The only problem you may have is that your prop will probably stick out further than you like with this on there and won't look too scale. I wish I could find one in 3mm for my Cessna.

firemanbill
05-15-2006, 10:02 PM
I am flying mine with the antenna bent up from this point on. I'd hate to see you lose signal to that fine bird. Looked like you had your antenna straight in the video. Anyone else have information to add here concerning the Spektrum and the antenna direction?

My

OK I've got a question... I was flying Saturday with the antenna at a 45* angle. Everything worked great. 3 flights on the ulimate Bipe and 2 on the 130.

Yesterday was too windy and rainy and today is more of the same, wind wise anyway. So I've had time to ponder...:rolleyes:

We talked about angling the antenna so it's not pointing at the plane, that cone of silence stuff qban was talking about... well while it's on the ground and the antenna is at a 45 it's not pointed at it. BUT... I happened to notice while I was flying it seemed like my antenna was pointed right at my aircraft the majority of the time. If it had been straight it would have been at a 45 to the A/C.

So I guess my question is does it really matter?:confused: Maybe I'm looking at it too hard. I haven't had any problems with the spektrum with it straight, at a 45 or at a 90, ie straight up.

color me curious... or confused... one of the two. Bottom line is i don't want to lose that A/C either!

Bill

almsy
05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Firemanbill, I'm with you there. I wonder if I think too much about the antenna direction at times myself. I have never read anywhere, where someone states that the radio is anything other than bulletproof. I've read of no issues anywhere and I've been looking. I do know I tried a range check on the ground with my antenna pointing at the plane from around 100ft and could not get the control surfaces to move until I rotated the antenna to were it wasn't pointing at the plane. I don't know if my SS went in due to loss of signal, but it acted like I couldn't control it, but I can't really say. I may have been me. It was not all that high and somewhat windy. The manual doesn't address it at all about the antenna. I wonder why they designed it that way if you don't need to concern yourself about where it's pointing? I've been looking for an answer myself since the question came to my mind and I can't find one. Reviews report flying to a point they can hardly see the aircraft without any problems. Sorry if I caused undue concern with you and that wonderful AC you have.

crxmanpat
05-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Bill,

To be quite honest, I don't think the 2.4ghz stuff has a "cone of silence" like the standard 72mhz systems. If I recall correctly, a thread on another site talking about these radios actually said something like the signal is stronger straight out of the antenna. I could be wrong, but like you said, no problems so far.

I was so hoping some of the radio manufacturers were going to make an announcement about their own spread spectrum systems at the RCX a few weekends ago. But from what I heard, all they sais was "we're working on it". Oh well. May have to come up with my own system for my XP8103.

qban_flyer
05-15-2006, 11:38 PM
I have flown the DX6 with the antenna in all positions and directions. I have yet to experience any glitches with it, so worry not and keep on flying. :)

I have yet to be stricken by the dreaded Cone of Silence since I've been flying. And that goes as far back as I would care to remember. Suffice to say that some of my radios were the reed type. :eek:

firemanbill
05-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Well there ya have it!:D I think it matters not!

I have tried it every whichaway (yes that's a word here in the south:D ) and I haven't had any problems at all with it. As a matter of fact sometimes I think something is wrong cauce my planes fly straight a lot longer. I have to bum the control to make sure it's still working.

That part I can get used to!:D

Happy flying everyone!
Bill

Doppelganger
05-16-2006, 01:21 AM
So, whats it like to have a plane fly straight? I bet that would look cool. :D

Steve

firemanbill
05-16-2006, 01:26 AM
So, whats it like to have a plane fly straight? I bet that would look cool. :D

Steve

Steve it like to scared the bejeezus (yes that's a word here in the south:D ) out of me the first time it happened. I thought for sure I was getting ready to crash!:eek: Once i got used to it and realized I wasn't going to crash it was pretty cool!

Bill

Doppelganger
05-16-2006, 01:57 AM
^^LOL^^ I wanna be like you when I grow up Bill!:D

Steve

firemanbill
05-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Well thank ya Steve... ummm... I think...:rolleyes:

qban_flyer
05-16-2006, 02:55 AM
Well there ya have it!:D I think it matters not!

I have tried it every whichaway (yes that's a word here in the south:D ) and I haven't had any problems at all with it. As a matter of fact sometimes I think something is wrong cauce my planes fly straight a lot longer. I have to bum the control to make sure it's still working.

That part I can get used to!:D

Happy flying everyone!
BillThis one I know! :D

qban_flyer
05-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Steve it like to scared the bejeezus (yes that's a word here in the south:D ) out of me the first time it happened. I thought for sure I was getting ready to crash!:eek: Once i got used to it and realized I wasn't going to crash it was pretty cool!

BillThis other one I heard in Louisiana a few times, though it never stuck as whichaway did. :D

firemanbill
05-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Well dadgummit Qban at least I know you can understand me!:D

qban_flyer
05-16-2006, 03:09 AM
Well dadgummit Qban at least I know you can understand me!:DHAR, HAR, HAR. :D :D :D

Grasshopper
05-16-2006, 04:43 AM
All Yall is startin ta worry me.

qban_flyer
05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
GOLLEEEH! Grass. We's just having us some fun here! :rolleyes:

eamrc
05-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Great Job Firemanbill !! I love to see people have success with our kits, it makes it all worth it in a way :)

firemanbill
05-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks EAMRC, I thought that was you buy the user name... Yes indeed and good kit. Have loved every minute of it!

I'll have to admit that my evenings have been somewhat boring here lately.:( That bird flies so well I'm not tearing anything up! All I have to do when I get home is charge batteries...:D

Now if I can just save up enough for the B-17:eek: That is one fine looking bird!

Just got in from my sons baseball game, we won 3-2 and he hit a 2 run homer!!! So now we are getting ready to head out and fly the 130.

firemanbill
05-28-2006, 02:26 AM
Went out yesterday between storms with my newest friend Nate, one of our countries finest US Army Soldiers!

Had a great time doing some flying together, Had some great flights and some not so great ones but we both got in a good hour flight time if not more!

The C-130 flew great as usual... at first anyway:( I did not make the mod yet with the prop adapters... I takeoff no problem and climb out real nice, making a nice circuit around the parade ground at Ft Eustis. I notice something come off and figure well there goes that prop again so I start to bring it around to put her down when I see the same thing again, so now two are gone. I power up a bit more and turn straight back for a direct in approach and #3 flies off, with #4 right behind it:eek:

I found out my C-130 glides pretty well:D , I didn't make it back to the asphalt strip to land but it set down beautifully right in the middle of the parade ground!

Guess where I went this morning?! Unfortunately the LHS only had 2 prop adapters that fit my motors so they ordered the other 2 for me. (along with some other items I needed:o for other little mishaps) Will be back in the air in no time.:D

Doppelganger
05-28-2006, 04:46 AM
Since you landed it safely, I'll have to say that is just hilarious.:D
Very good job bringing her down!

Steve

firemanbill
05-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Yeah we thought it was quite funny too Steve!:D Alls well that ends well.

Morale here is when you know somethings wrong and you know how to fix it don't put it off til later. A good case of being to eager to fly!

It'll be right before the next flight though...

Bill

eamrc
07-31-2006, 03:12 AM
A couple of changes to the kit, it will be getting a new nose and radome as well as a set of drop tanks :D It will aslo be available now without the power set since so many people change it any way :D

firemanbill
07-31-2006, 03:46 AM
How much to pick up the nose cone and tanks.

By the way you guys did a heck of a job designing this kit! I have really enjoyed flying it. it is a pretty tough bird too! A couple of weeks back I had it up and caught one heck of a thermal/gust/microburst... whatever you want to call it. The wing flexed like a hawk taking flight but she came right back and none the worse for the wear. Skiman and Phil can tell you how big of a sweep the wing made! We were all amazed it held together.

Still having a ball with it.:D :D :D

eamrc
07-31-2006, 04:44 AM
I should know next week, damn I am going to have to build myself a fresh one :D

crxmanpat
07-31-2006, 06:37 AM
That looks MUCH better! A lot closer to scale now than the previous nose. I know that you can't match scale due to the Lockheed issue, but this revision certainly will go a long way towards selling more kits. Good job.

Turbojoe
08-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Yes, Yes, YES!!! Finally a proper nose. The ugly "A" model nose was the only thing keeping me from getting this kit for the longest time. It is definitely next on my list after I finish some other projects. Buying a set of four, four blade Varioprops is gonna put a serious hurt on the bank account but a C-130's just gotta have 4 blades!

Joe

firemanbill
08-01-2006, 03:36 AM
I should know next week, damn I am going to have to build myself a fresh one :D

let me know as soon as you find out, heck, go ahead and put me down for a set if you can sell it seperate from the kit.

eamrc
08-21-2006, 01:31 AM
New nose set now available:

Includes:
Nose Piece
Radome
2 drop tanks
Shipping Priority Mail to Lower 48

$23.00

Paypal to: eamrc@aol.com

firemanbill
08-21-2006, 03:02 AM
New nose set now available:

Includes:
Nose Piece
Radome
2 drop tanks
Shipping Priority Mail to Lower 48

$23.00

Paypal to: eamrc@aol.com

Just sent you the money for mine!

firemanbill
08-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Got mine in today guys. I have to say it looks much better than the first version! I am looking forward to getting it installed!

Thanks for taking the time to do it!

salmonpinko
08-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I have found some works on the retracts for GWS. Might be useful when working on the EAM C-130.

alienx
08-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Very Nice work!!

firemanbill
08-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes indeed! very nice work Salmonpinko and welcome to WF by the way!

Nice lookin Herc... Did you build that retract setup yourself or is is a kit available somewhere?

salmonpinko
08-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Yes indeed! very nice work Salmonpinko and welcome to WF by the way!

Nice lookin Herc... Did you build that retract setup yourself or is is a kit available somewhere?

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortuately, I'm not the owner of this plane. I like to share some of the ideas I have seen on the net. BTW, his is another good site about this plane.

http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/squadron.htm

I'm saving for the EAM kit. From the pics, it seems to me that the retracts could be scratch built. The workable door is really sweet. It allows small toy troopers to airborne. That's the beauty of this plane.;)

I like to ask if anyone knows the scale of this plane. I'm looking for scale decals of the insignia and wordings. It would be nice if I can buy decal sheets with painting instructions for this EAM kit, saving me lots of time.:D There are many planes to model after, so I can foresee myself buying another C-130.:rolleyes:

firemanbill
08-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm not real sure how to figure out scale but a full size 130 has about a 162 ft wingspan and the EAM model is 5 ft.

maybe somebody else can chime in with an approximate scale.

firemanbill
08-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Well I got my new nose in a couple of days ago and got it on tonight.

IT DIDN'T FIT!

But I fixed that. A little sanding on the fuse and it went on. Here is how it looks. A nice mod!

salmonpinko
08-29-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm not real sure how to figure out scale but a full size 130 has about a 162 ft wingspan and the EAM model is 5 ft.

maybe somebody else can chime in with an approximate scale.

Ok..:rolleyes: I take 162 ft over 5 ft which gives me 32.4
I can say the model scale is about 1/32.
Thanks!:)

salmonpinko
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Well I got my new nose in a couple of days ago and got it on tonight.

IT DIDN'T FIT!

But I fixed that. A little sanding on the fuse and it went on. Here is how it looks. A nice mod!

Good job! The new nose looks authentic now. There should have been a better fit though. Maybe the vaccum form nose is made smaller for a reason. Could the seam line be flushed with some helping of epoxy putty?

firemanbill
08-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that or some lightweight spackle to smooth it out and make it look more even but form 3 feet away it get's to looking a lot better and it flies well enough the way it is so... :rolleyes:

alienx
08-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Could you split the cowl and add a small extension of glass at the bottom?

Nice looking plane though!!

lennyshotgun
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Firemanbill
Would 4 esskay 400's be too much motor?

firemanbill
08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Good question Lenny...

I'd say it would be ok, and then some... the 280's that I got with it are more than enough though. Plus you only have to have one esc that way.

I would llike to see how one does with a brushless setup but I am happy with what I have.:D

salmonpinko
09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Firemanbill, has it gone maiden yet?

firemanbill
09-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Firemanbill, has it gone maiden yet?

Oh yes! Yes indeed. New nose and all. She is really a great flier. Had flown it a couple of time with the new nose on but this past weekend was great.

Ask all the folks who attended Hodges Hobbies Fly in last weekend! Got 5 (I think) Really good flights in while there. I had a lot of good compliments on her. From her slow lumbering takeoff, just like the real thing, to how realistic she looks in the air, to the very scale appearing landings.

A very nice bird indeed and with the new nose even better!

One tip though, don;t try to takeoff in short wet grass... The last morning of the fly in I wanted to get one more flight in but the grass grew from friday evening when they cut it to sunday morning I guess and the wetness from the dew just made all those little clippings get up in my whell wells and bog it down enough that she didn't want to take off.

When I get the video from tape to computer I'll post it. She reall looks good in the air.

vax6335
09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Bill, what size are the wheels? I would love to get one of these for a first multi engined project, but we don't have a paved runway at my field. And all the old fools there are against one for some dumb reason, so it looks like we won't get one for quite awhile. Also, how does the size compare to a GWS C-130?

firemanbill
09-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Bill, what size are the wheels? I would love to get one of these for a first multi engined project, but we don't have a paved runway at my field. And all the old fools there are against one for some dumb reason, so it looks like we won't get one for quite awhile. Also, how does the size compare to a GWS C-130?

4.5" on the mains x 4 and 3.5" on the nose wheel x 2.

And its bigger than the GWS model by a long shot. 44" span on the gws model and 62' on this one.

It does fine in the grass as long as it's not wet. I also just noticed this morning that one of my elevators had come loose form the linkage. That may have happen on that 12 hour drive home as I don't reacll seeing that the last morning I tried to fly it. It may have been though and that may have bee what kept it from lifting off.

I would highly recommend it for you. It is a very stable easy flying plane, it handles the wind quite well also.

salmonpinko
09-29-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm glad to you have success in this plane. I'm eager to watch your new video.

FlightMedic
10-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Hey Bill awesome job and great video. I'm completing my .60 scale P51 "Marie" electric conversion with retracts soon and can't wait to fly her. I'm thinking about building a 160 Transall and wondering how the multiengine thing works with electrics.

Mike

firemanbill
10-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Thanks Mike. I love the P-51 as well. I have the GWS model and it flies really well also. I would love to build one of the bigger ones as well with retracts and all! I bet yours is sweet!

My 130 has brushed motors so setting it up was really easy. The motors are all wired up parallel and run on one Castle Creations Griffin 55 amp controller. With a 3s lipo I ended up pulling around 4.5 amps per motor. Since I maidened it back in may I have not had a single issue with the motors. I would have to say it is a very reliable setup. She is just as strong today as she was on day one.

FlightMedic
10-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Sounds great although i'm a total brushless fan now......lol. I will post some pics of "Marie" when she is done. I've done some ground handling practice with a small battery and she handles great on the ground although i've heard some bad things about weak landing gear. I'm hooked on the .60 size and larger. Would love to find a F-82 Twin Mustang to build. I have a GWS Corsair with a Eflite outrunner that flies awesome but needed something bigger. Thanks for the info.

Mike

firemanbill
10-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah I'm all brushless now as well except for the 130. the thought of 4 esc's and the wiring of all that kind of kept me from upgrading it that way.

She works fine this wway though so I figure I'll keep it that way til the motors burn out and then I might go the brushless route with it.

I'll have to save a lot of pennies for that though:eek:

salmonpinko
10-05-2006, 11:41 AM
It would save the brush motor if only there are parts avaliable to replace the worn brushes. I'm wondering if there are any serviceable brush motors in the market.:rolleyes:

C130 Load
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Bill,,
Do you still fly this C130?
I most definitely will get one of these when I learn to fly again. I was a Load on one from 83-95.
I have read the whole thread and I really like what I see and what you and others did with this EAM kit.
What paint did you use on it?
Thanks
Ed

firemanbill
01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Ed, Thanks for the comments. Yes I still fly her. She is in the shop for new brushes in the motors currently but she'll be back out in the spring.

For paint I used the Testors water based acrylics, diluted 50/50 with water and airbrushed on with my Badger gun.

I don;t know if I put these links in before but here is a couple of onboard videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b7t5R4A5p0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knyPvOkQvVI

I retired from the USAF myself. I still work on Langley AFB , just civil service now.

C130 Load
01-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I retired from the USAF myself. I still work on Langley AFB , just civil service now.

I didn't retire it was my "Part Time" job but it sure didn't feel like it I was flying all the time back then. Between active and reserve I had 13 1/2 years and then BRAC happened.:mad:
I couldn't leave my regular job so I had to just give it up.:(

How does the foam take to sanding?

BTW I did see those videos earlier today. Very nice the second one reminds me of looking out the paratroop door window which I did a lot.:D

firemanbill
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
funny how that BRAC stuff works huh? Just doesn't make sense sometimes...:(

It sands pretty easily. shaping the nacelles and the wheel wells and such was pretty easy.

I am considering redoing the whole thing, she has quite a few field dents as well as hangar rash that need filling. A company called wow planes has a 2 part foam surface sealer that looks very promising to harden her up without adding much weight at all.

http://www.wowplanes.com/index.php?cPath=46

I have their B-25 that is waiting to be built that I plan on using that stuff on as well.

Same guy that designed my C-130 designed that B-25 as well

C130 Load
01-27-2009, 12:23 AM
funny how that BRAC stuff works huh? Just doesn't make sense sometimes...:(
Yeah I really liked flying but Chicago Politics prevailed. Daley wanted that side of O'Hare.:mad:

I am considering redoing the whole thing, she has quite a few field dents as well as hangar rash that need filling. A company called wow planes has a 2 part foam surface sealer that looks very promising to harden her up without adding much weight at all.

http://www.wowplanes.com/index.php?cPath=46
I called the guy at WOW and he said they redesigned the product to make it easier. I asked him about the bad reviews on his site and he said they were trying to put it over paint which wont work.
He also said to seal it first with micro lite Spackle or the like and that you could use a product called Durhams Water Putty which you can buy at hardware stores.
http://www.waterputty.com/pages/view.htm

I have their B-25 that is waiting to be built that I plan on using that stuff on as well.

Same guy that designed my C-130 designed that B-25 as well
Can't wait to see that. There's a guy that lives near me that was pilot on one of those during WW2:)

firemanbill
01-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah if you use the product right it works well.

The guy that designed mine, Keith Sparks, wrote a book on building with foam. His website is

http://www.parkflyerplastics.com/

Get his book! Man he makes some awesome stuff, and he'll show you how to do everything he does.

whatala
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi all,
I just found this site about the EAM C-130.
I am building this bird right now.
You guys still fly yours?
Jason

firemanbill
01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi all,
I just found this site about the EAM C-130.
I am building this bird right now.
You guys still fly yours?
Jason

Hey Jason welcome to WattFlyer!

I do not fly my 130 anymore. I flat wore that thing out. Man it was a fun plane. Good luck with yours and I hope you stay with us. Post some pics and let's see her fly!:cool::D

whatala
01-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Bill,
Sure I will. Man, alot of work, especially sanding part.
I will post some pics along with the build process.
Jason

whatala
02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Hi all,
Here what I have done so far. I got the main wheels, elevators, rudder, the wing assembly, painted with gloss white, added balsa ailerons for more floating. The instruction to attach the wing to the body is not very solid to me. How did you all did that? The instruction shows to glue a balsa to body and drill holes, and kit provided 2 plastic screws to use. To me, it may be very weak. I still get the nose landing gear install, nose assembly, wing to body... Hope to finish soon if time allows:)

firemanbill
02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Man it's been so long I really don't remember how I did my wing attachment. I'll pull it out of the attic tonight and look. I'll take a few pics for you... if it's still there. I'm pretty sure it still is.

Yours is looking great!

LowThudd
02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I was looking into the GWS kit, but I think I will step up to this instead! Great looking plane!

firemanbill
02-07-2013, 08:01 PM
There is a lot more building to this one than the GWS. It is more on the Kit side than an ARF for sure. Well worth the effort though.

whatala
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I have the GWS built 3 or 4 years, still flying great.
But, I lile this one much better. Mre time to build though:)

road king 97
02-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Hi all,
Here what I have done so far. I got the main wheels, elevators, rudder, the wing assembly, painted with gloss white, added balsa ailerons for more floating. The instruction to attach the wing to the body is not very solid to me. How did you all did that? The instruction shows to glue a balsa to body and drill holes, and kit provided 2 plastic screws to use. To me, it may be very weak. I still get the nose landing gear install, nose assembly, wing to body... Hope to finish soon if time allows:)Who makes the kit ? I think park flyers pastics has one but not sure if this is it or not. joe

whatala
02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Joe,
www.eam.net sells the kit.
I don't think it is the same kit. Part plastic one is bigger I think.
GWS one is pretty good too, but is is small.

road king 97
02-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Joe,
www.eam.net (http://www.eam.net) sells the kit.
I don't think it is the same kit. Part plastic one is bigger I think.
GWS one is pretty good too, but is is small.Yes i remember that company now it was having a fire sale about 4 or 5 years ago. Thanks joe

whatala
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Man it's been so long I really don't remember how I did my wing attachment. I'll pull it out of the attic tonight and look. I'll take a few pics for you... if it's still there. I'm pretty sure it still is.

Yours is looking great!
Hi firemanbill,
Have you had any chance to take pictures of how the wing attach to the body yet? I have couple of ideas copy from other planes, but would like to see how you did it.
Thanks
Jason

firemanbill
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi firemanbill,
Have you had any chance to take pictures of how the wing attach to the body yet? I have couple of ideas copy from other planes, but would like to see how you did it.
Thanks
Jason

I did not get a chance last night. I'll see if I can tonight.

whatala
02-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi,
Thanks in advance firemanbill.
Jason

whatala
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
I get some more work done for the nose gear. I did not use the one from the plane kit. I use one of the nose servo that I have and I made the double wheels as scale.

road king 97
02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Thats the same nose wheel set up from hobby king i was looking at for my scratch built canard iam building now. I bought a 1/2 A size nose wheel set up from bubro and the set screw sucks. I have a wire bender and i think i can build one like yours fairly easy because i did not think the hobby king nose wheel was long enough for mine. joe

whatala
02-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Got the nose paint and glued. Now, almost there, still need to figure out how to install the wing to the body.

whatala
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
I figured out how to install the wing to the fuselage. It fits well after.

firemanbill
02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Hey that looks good, Sorry I haven't gotten any pics yet. Work has been nuts this week, I haven't gotten home before 7 or 8 any night this week! I am so glad it's Friday!!!

whatala
02-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I finally finished her. Will be maidened this morning.
Here are some more pictures.
Wish me luck please:)

whatala
02-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Hi,
Maiden was successful with only 3 trim clicks to the left.
I flew 3 more batteries after that.
I used 2S 1600 Mah, after 5 min each, I still have 40% left in the pack.
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChnR10FYVM

dahawk
02-19-2013, 03:38 AM
whatala,

Nice maiden. Sounded like you had an edf buzzing by.Plane looks and flies great !

-Hawk