PDA

View Full Version : Stolp Starlet on floats maiden flight

donjiskra
05-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Great success today. http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif The Stolp did her maiden flight with the GWS floats and performed superbly. Got up on step and acted like it was a natural thing to do, even though the original EAA Stolp never had floats installed (as far as I know). Setting the float angle with a laser really helped, no incidence adjustments were needed and the location was perfect for getting up on step.
She flew for 5 minutes with an ElectriFly 1500mah li-po battery at about 3/4 power, doing rolls and loops also. This is a really neat plane to see on water and in the air. I highly recommend it, as it is set-up motor wise from Hobby-Lobby.
Don

Don Sims
05-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Great news Don! I took the dehidral out of my wings, changed landing gear, did your battery hatch mod and fly mine a lot. They are fun little planes.

donjiskra
05-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey Don,
Thanks for your reply.
Your review on the Stolp was instrumental on my adding this neat plane to my fleet. I'm really impressed with it's performance and now that it flew so well with floats it is my exclusive dedicated water plane. I'll be bringing it to the DePue, IL event coming up in June.

What was your decision to reduce the dihedral?
Mine has it and I don't know what the effect would be without it. Glad you liked the hatch modification. It works nice and really helped getting the li-po battery far forward for better balance.

ElectriFly 1500mah Li-Po
186 watts - 16.5 amps
Weight 32 ounces
Wing loading 18.8 oz/sq.ft
76 watts per pound
9.7 minutes cruise time

Thunder Power 4200mah Li-Po
226 watts - 19 amps
Weight 38 ounces
Wing loading 22.3 oz/sq.ft
87 watts per pound
23 minutes cruise time
Battery pack had to be moved aft 2" for balance.

Here's a shot of it sitting pretty on water.

Regards and keep writing those great reviews.
Don J.