PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel + Cockpit Photos-FREE

Sky Sharkster
05-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Adding scale detail to a Warbird can be fun, and it really adds to the "Look" of the model, both in the air and on the ground. Sometimes a little time spent on panel lines, weathering and, of course, a pilot figure sitting in a detailed cockpit, can make a big difference.
In the "Updated Warbird Links" there are several sites that sell pilot figures listed. Instrument panels and cockpit details are another matter; One method is to buy a Squadron/Signal or Profile issue for every plane. Another is a long web search for individual aircraft details.
How about a one-stop site with hundreds of U.S. Warbird interior photos? Nice sharp B+W (some color, too) photographs. Sound good?
http://uscockpits.com/ is this site. Building a P-38 Lightning? 19 photos, models YP, LO, D, 1-LO, G (4 pics), H, L(4 pics), E-4-LO, F, G (2).
Helicopters? 23 different types, just the AH-1 Cobra has 13 photos.
Jet Fighters? 40 different aircraft. "Early" (WWII) Bombers, 20 planes. Other categories include Early Attack, Jet Attack, Early Fighters, Jet Bombers, Cargo + Tanker, Special Mission, Training, Experimental.
The only "name" credited is Gacman, whoever you are, Sir, we thank you!
Ron

warbird@home
05-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I am always struggling for cockpit details for my scale warbirds...this is a great find !!

thankyou indeed !!!

EFURCHE
02-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Where can I get instument panels I can copy and paste into publisher to make a decal.

Sky Sharkster
02-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Hello EFURCHE, Welcome to Wattflyer!
The instrument panel depends on the exact aircraft and the scale (size). For example, you might be able to get a 1/12th scale P-51D "Mustang" panel from a manufacturer of a kit in that size, since this is a popular aircraft and a common scale. But a different scale or more obscure aircraft? Online search would be the best bet.
However, SIGMfg sells scale instrument sheets (not decals) in several sizes. If you know the general shape of the instrument panel and have a photo of which instruments went where, you could make one yourself.
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig
Click on "Aircraft Accessories"
Click on "Scale Accessories"
Click on "Instruments"
The panel is constructed in layers. Back layer, a bulkhead shaped like the instrument panel. To this, glue the instruments in their correct location. Next, a clear plastic sheet, to simulate the class over the instruments. Last, a front panel, usually flat black cardboard stock or construction paper, sometimes aluminum-colored, with cutout circles to show the instruments. If you want to make it more realistic, cut "donuts" off an aluminum or plastic tube, the same diameter as the instrument, and glue over the circles, to simulate the "hoods" or inset panels some cockpit panels have.
Yes, it's a lot of work, hope you can find one ready-made!
Ron