PDA

View Full Version : changing bells

tarheal63
03-19-2012, 07:22 AM
I have a question to those more knowledgeable than I. I have the drum from a 2410-9y and I am going to put the bell from a 2409-12t on to it as those are some parts that I have. What am I going to end up with??? I do notice the magnets on the bell of the 2409 are bigger than the 2410 bell, but is that the difference between these TP motors? Look forward to some great info on this.

Go Tarheels....

tarheal63
03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
No comments?

hillbille
03-19-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't think that will work WELL. It may work but all proper timing and especially spacing will be way off. One bell is nearly twice the depth of the other. How do you plan to keep the spacing correct?

As is everything - I could be completely off on my thinking. Also these motors are readily available from a myriad of sources at under $10 usual price - why bother?

If you just can't stand to throw away the parts - most are useful for other things. The bullets, bearings, shaft (as a spare emergency replacement - assuming it is or was bent in whatever event destroyed the bell), mount and even the old bell can be very useful.

The old bell has magnets inside. They are rare earth magnets (neo). To get them out of the bell just heat it with a heat gun for a minute or so and then use a pair of pliers to grab the bell and tap it on a hard surface - the magnets will pop out. Put them into a solution of acetone for an hour or so and they are clean as a whistle! Very useful for hatches or even cowls.

Hillbille

flydiver
03-19-2012, 08:25 PM
They are rare earth magnets (neo). To get them out of the bell just heat it with a heat gun for a minute or so and then use a pair of pliers to grab the bell and tap it on a hard surface - the magnets will pop out.
Hillbille

Mostly he's right. I strongly recommend against heat. At some point I suspect UNDER the glue's release point the heat could destroy the magnets.
Just soak in acetone for a good while if you end up wanting to get them out.

There is a LOT of similarity and overlap in the TP motors. Often the only difference is the way it's wound. If the bell swap FITS WELL, then you should be able to use it. If there is big air gap, the stator doesn't line up with the magnets, rubbing (obviously), or other issues then it may not be a good project. Parts are not too hard to get if that's what you need.

tarheal63
03-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys. I am going to give it a shot just to see what happens. I won't hang the survival of a plane on it, I already have a replacement motor on it's way to me. The reason I have this scenario, is I was trying to replace the shaft on my 2410 and one of the set screws stripped out, and I cannot remove it to save my life, nothing I have tried has worked and that little sucker is hanging on for dear life.

flydiver
03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Those things are often loctite set.
You know about heating the grub screw LOTS with a soldering iron point first?

tarheal63
03-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I did not know, but now I must try this. Thank you.