PDA

View Full Version : Cox Wings

RW650
08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Everybody,
Anybody have experience with the new "Cox Wings" foamfliers?

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006200

Looks like they could be fun, especially for only $20.00. They make several warbirds in the $20 range.
I saw thier ad in the new issue of FLY RC.
RW

FinnFlyer
08-22-2005, 04:23 PM
I am also anxiously waiting for the little Cox warbirds. The cox website says that they are not available yet. If anyone finds a source, could you please post it. Thanks, Brian.

ForestCam
08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I am also anxiously waiting for the little Cox warbirds. The cox website says that they are not available yet. If anyone finds a source, could you please post it. Thanks, Brian.

http://www.quicktechhobby.com/Airplane/airplanes/QTH%20PARK%20FLYERS.htm
$10 more then on the Cox site but they seem to be available.

ForestCam
08-23-2005, 02:17 AM
BTW I fired this off to coxmodels.:D

Hello,

I was wondering if you could tell me when the Cox Wings Micro P-51 Mustang ARF item number 006202 will be back in stock and available to order. I am very interested in purchasing one or more of these kits and know several other people who are also interested in this item.

If you would like I could do a review of this item when I am able to order one and post my findings at www.wattflyer.com (http://www.wattflyer.com/)

Thank you very much for your time,

Dan Brown

shark1016
09-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Hopefully they come out soon becuase they look really good and I want to try them out. If anyone has a true release date for them please post it becuase all we have is the site that has them for $29.99 and on the Cox site it says $20 but they are all out of stock.

Reddog
09-13-2005, 06:23 AM
Hi Everybody,
Anybody have experience with the new "Cox Wings" foamfliers?

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006200

Looks like they could be fun, especially for only $20.00. They make several warbirds in the $20 range.
I saw thier ad in the new issue of FLY RC.
RW

This place shows them out of stock, now. I ordered one from Cox about three weeks ago, and was told I would get it in September. It's not here yet!
Dick

RW650
09-13-2005, 02:45 PM
I sent an email to cox a week ago. They said that the planes should be arriving to hobby shops in mid September. I can't wait to get one!
If you get yours first, let us know what you think about it.
Thanks!

Reddog
09-13-2005, 07:03 PM
I'll do it!

trey3670
09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
gotta get one!

Reddog
09-20-2005, 12:50 AM
I sent an inquiry about my order to Cox, and here is their answer. "They are expected to arrive in Mid October. There have been some shipping delays due to some ports being closed." Dick

shark1016
10-06-2005, 03:23 AM
I e-mailed them again and they said that it would be available on the first and second week of November considering where you are located. Delayed Again :( gotta wait some more but hopefully this wait is like they say worth the wait.

Reddog
10-06-2005, 04:29 AM
I'll call them tomorrow. If that's true, I'm going to cancel. Anyway, I just spent $195yesterday for a BL motor and electronics to put in the stick version of Thayer's Daddy-O that I'm building!Dick

Poof, Landed!
10-07-2005, 07:15 AM
I too wanted to try out Cox War Birds, but as many others have seen they keep telling me they'll be in...... So I picked up an ME109 and a Spitefire from Hobbico Fly Zone EP FF planes, about the same dimensions as the Cox models. Then accessed Fly Zones' website to down load their FF to R/C Conversion. Ouch, I hope the Cox planes are easier to carve out the fuse to allow for their suggested batteries (8 NiMH 2/3 AA) beside the reciever. I'll end up shaping a paper clip, heating it, and carefully removing the internal form where the Batts/charge jack/on-off switch PC board was mounted. Next, getting the motor out for the up grade to a 180, (you've got to be kidding) while maintaining the same right and down thrust and not destroying the nose.:confused:
Months ago I gave up on using a hobby knife on foam while trying to cut the control surfaces loose on a GWS A-10 Warthog. Started using double edged blades from my Balsa Planner, no more ripped or compressed edges. However, it's a bit dangerous so I break them in half length wise, next I should get one of those rubber finger tip covers for mail handling. Even the backs of those blades can hurt.:eek:
Well, I now have three projects going, the ME109, Spitefire, and the U-2 conversion. So don't count on me to be announcing outcomes soon. I hope the Cox War Birds are in next month, I won't pay the extra $10 for the same thing somewhere else. I wanted three of them, I can wait.
I'll watch for more postings.:cool:

NitroCharged
10-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Nicad??!! Lipo's not an option for power?

Poof, Landed!
10-08-2005, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't go the Nicad way due to more weight, but the only reason I didn't want to go lipos was the lack of weight needed to balance out the weight of the motor upgrade. But possibily your thoughts on the matter are more related to the amounts of current and voltage required to give the 180 enough consistant power (voltage and duration). Let me know, I'm doing the first one or two w/ the NiMH packs, and the jury is still out on the Lipos though 7.4v seems too low and 11.1v seems too high. What next, a 10amp voltage regulator? Maybe.:cool:

Pyrock
10-09-2005, 02:35 AM
So has anyone picked up one of these Cox warbirds yet? Do they use rudder and elevator only or do they use elevator and aelerons?

WWI Ace
10-09-2005, 02:45 AM
You guys be sure and leave a P-47 for me to buy!!

Pyrock
10-09-2005, 02:58 AM
Sure...as long as you leave me the P-51

Reddog
10-09-2005, 04:05 AM
They're not available until next month, maybe! I cancelled my order. I first placed my order in August!:(
I figured it up, put $75 to $100 worth of equipment in a $20 foamer? And wait indefinitely for delivery of that $20 plane? Not me!
Dick

Pyrock
10-09-2005, 06:13 AM
They're not available until next month, maybe! I cancelled my order. I first placed my order in August!:(
I figured it up, put $75 to $100 worth of equipment in a $20 foamer? And wait indefinitely for delivery of that $20 plane? Not me!
Dick

It's not that bad if you already have all the goodies just waiting for something go to into. Afterall, when you think about it, most fuses are pretty cheap anyway. I currently fly a profile F22 that's worth around $5 but flies like it's worth $100. It's my favorite plane to fly and my other planes include a Styker, Projeti, and an Aerocat all brushless.

shark1016
10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
So has anyone picked up one of these Cox warbirds yet? Do they use rudder and elevator only or do they use elevator and aelerons?

It is rudder and elevator It doesn't say anything else.

Poof, Landed!
11-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Just got off the Cox web site, all their warbirds are finally in stock. Is it me or were their fuses' sold in two halves before ( that's new to me, that'll make it so much easier)?:cool:

Edoc
11-10-2005, 01:50 PM
LHS got them in on Monday. They look great. I bought 2, the Spitfire and Corsair. But, it will be a couple weeks before I get to them.

First impressions:
Tiny. Wing loading may make this plane to fast for most indoor flying.
Very nice paint with smooth surface.
Fuse is hollow, 2 halves, and will be easy to work with.
Balsa fairing under the wings where plastic snaps will let the wing snap into the fuse, but is the heaviest part of the plane and possible site for lightening.
May not balance with Li power.

Maybe with servos mounted forward, lithium batteries, I can build these really light. Sure would like to zoom around in a 1BB court size gym.

Tim

Poof, Landed!
11-11-2005, 02:20 AM
I can't wait to get two and see just how much easier it will be to build with 2 fuse halves instead of cutting into a whole one. Tim, I'm dusting of my CG machine in wait :), online ordering. So what's the Corsair's listed CG? Later, Tom.

E-Challenged
11-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Watched a mini Corsair fly a couple of days ago. Verrrrry nice. Comes with a small motor and two props. The one I saw was flying on a two-cell lipo pack ( 340mah) on stock motor and prop. You supply battery and micro receiver and two micro servos. They fly somewhat fast and yet stable on rudder and elevator and throttle even with a little breeze. They will loop from level flight, do barrel rolls, and could "pylon race" each other. They look like medium sized plastic display models but fly much better than you might expect. The undercambered wings contibute to good flying manners on rudder/elevator. Cox is shipping all four of them from their website, i.e. P51, P40, P47 and F4U for $20 apiece plus shipping. The skies will be full of them!:)

GallopingGhost
11-14-2005, 03:45 AM
I just recieved a P51 and a Corsair kit direct from Cox. Very nice kits for the money. It will be a couple of weeks before I get one going. If they flew as well as they look its going to be a steal at $20.00.

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 12:53 AM
I too wanted to try out Cox War Birds, but as many others have seen they keep telling me they'll be in...... So I picked up an ME109 and a Spitefire from Hobbico Fly Zone EP FF planes, about the same dimensions as the Cox models.

I just got my Cox Corsair and Warhawk. Nifty looking little birdies. After opening up and examining them something gave me a deja-vu feeling. Then it clicked. These are the same planes as the Fly-Zone planes mentioned above. Same fuse, same props/motors, same tools etc. I confirmed this at my LHS today by comparing the Fly-Zone planes on his shelf to the Warhawk I bought.

I may start hacking on my Warhawk this evening. Then again maybe beer will be had instead! :cool:

bambam
12-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Does anybody have any video? I bought 2 but am stuck in Alaska till the end of the week and can't put one together yet.

Bill G
04-12-2006, 03:28 AM
Well its not a cox wings, but basically the same thing. Just flew my FlyZone ME109 conversion today, for the 2nd time. The first time was a year ago, when it flew pretty well, but was too windy, and ended up in the FASTEST PIROEHTTE tailspin ever seen. No damage, but put hung on the strings to collect dust.
Finally took it out today in the wetland behind the house. Its actually a large open area, but I've only flown there several times in years, since it can be a mud walk to retrieve planes. FLEW THE HECK OUT OF IT TODAY. Actually flew pretty well. Very stable, but definitely needs elevator coordinated turns. It's a bit wild and responsive, but actually not that difficult to control.
You do have to keep it moving fast for good control, when your control surfaces are microscopic. Perfect no wind day too. Got it going a bit slow on landing, and nose dived the last 20 feet into the mud. I got greedy trying to land it close too me, since I didn't want to walk into the wetter ground. Had to take the spinner apart to get all the soft mud out, otherwise no damage thanks to the mud. Definitely will be experimenting with this plane some more now. Picured with GWS ME109.
Setup:
Direct drive 180 motor with GWS 5043 prop and Maxx Prod adapter.
Motor set at stock downthrust (a little less may be beneficial)
Cirrus 4.4 servos at rear of compartment
GWS pico rec
Castle Pixie7 esc
Electrifly 2s-350 lipo, located 1/2" behind LE
Slight hogging out of wing saddle foam required for batt fit.
Batt wire connected through on/off switch