PDA

View Full Version : Ultra stick .60

k-vette
05-09-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm thinking about converting my .60 sized ultra stick over to electric power. There's lots of room up front, so balance shouldn't be too difficult. I know it will be pricey for a plane this size, but I want to do it for a reasonable price. I was thinking about the BP (towerpro) 3520-7 motor and their 60 amp esc. The big packs are on sale right now on commonsenserc. This should be up to 700 watts on this plane, but I'm wondering what kind of performace I can expect, and if a 4s or 5s would be better. Any input on this setup would be helpful, I'd like to get this project going soon.:)

ragbag
05-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking about converting my .60 sized ultra stick over to electric power. There's lots of room up front, so balance shouldn't be too difficult. I know it will be pricey for a plane this size, but I want to do it for a reasonable price. I was thinking about the BP (towerpro) 3520-7 motor and their 60 amp esc. The big packs are on sale right now on commonsenserc. This should be up to 700 watts on this plane, but I'm wondering what kind of performace I can expect, and if a 4s or 5s would be better. Any input on this setup would be helpful, I'd like to get this project going soon.:)

Here is the site of the grandfather of the electric ultras.

http://www.gwmp.net/

The first time I saw Gary Wright fly his elecric ultra he was flying in a 100' square, first time I saw a plane that size hanging on a prop. That was four or five years ago.
Go to the SEFF forum and look at the pictures of the ultra with the Eflite 100 on it.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11124&d=1146972380

This is a Mike Parsons photo.

EDit
The reason I knew this was on the site is that I saw it at SEFF and have an ultra and am thinking of the Eflite also, knowing Gary likes Hacker's.

k-vette
05-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Eflite is coming out with some cool motors. The 160 sounds cool.:eek: If I was going all out on this I'd probably use the eflite 60. However, the towerpro motor should fly it just fine, for half the price. I hope it will work with the motor mounted directly on the nose like the eflite 100 is on that stick, it would simplify things a bit.

k-vette
05-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Well I've order the motor and speed controller, along with a UBEC. I still need to order batteries, but am undecided about 4s or 5s. It really depends on the esc. It's the towerpro 60amp one, but apparently some have burnt up on 5 cells. However, that may have been because they used the BEC. I don't know whether to go for 4s and be safe, or go 5s with the UBEC (which would be a better setup overall).:confused:

Crash Test Dummy
05-14-2006, 05:55 AM
That would be a nice flyer. I have a Mini Ultra Stick and love it. Next I'll do a 25 size US when E-Flight releases their new one. Good luck and enjoy.

CTD

Big Oakden
05-26-2006, 08:45 PM
K-Vette,
Just posted this on another so, thought I would put it here for you too:

Ultra Stick 60 (clear yellow one)
Visionhobbies.com
PJS-5000
Motortron 90 ESC
(2) Poly RC 3700's (1 each 4s & 3s)
Will give you about 12-15lbs thrust.

AUW on mine with a tower 75 is about 7 lbs.
This will give you a 2:1 power to weight ratio :-)
Am going to power one with this power set up by the end of the year.
Have powerplant/ESC/Batteries in my 157" Sailplane.
The ESC is programable up to 3 models, so if you put it where you can get to it, you only need to hook it up to your computer and reprogram it (change from model #1 to #2)
You are looking at about $600 + Frt.

Ask for Rich or Jerry, and tell them that Dave Sent you.

I know it sounds a little crazy, but there is nothing like being able to hover, and fly two 6-8 minute flights having a blast.

darkside212
05-28-2006, 12:26 AM
you definitely need to use an external bec with 5 cells....the TP3AUBEC is pretty nice/easy to use

I've heard pretty good things about the 3520-7