PDA

View Full Version : EasyStar magnets mod

adhoc
05-09-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm thinking of adding the magnets to my EasyStar to keep the wings together. I might even just dig the magnets out of my kid's Magnetix toys! (We're hesitant to let them play with them since several kids have gotten sick and even died from swallowing them!)

I do have a few questions: if I use strong (rare earth) magnets, could they interfere with the motor, even ruin it? With the magnets in the ends of the wings, they'd be in the center of the EasyStar, not all that far from the motor. Also, how many should I use? The pictures I've seen of this mod only show two magnets, but I'm wondering if that's enough...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

adhoc
05-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Another question... do you still use the plastic spar thingy, or will the magnets hold the wings together by themselves?

Deereret
05-14-2006, 07:51 PM
The spar is for wing strength not to keep the wings together. I used 2
small strips of velcro to help keep the wings together. You just have to recess the velcro enough to grab the pieces in the other wing.
Gene
Also you can find lots of Mods here http://www.detract-online.de/www.mpx-easystar.de/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en

Graffen
05-31-2006, 10:01 AM
I did the magnet mod the other day and must say I'm really happy with it. I used four magnets (two for each wing) which I found at a local electronic spare parts dealer. The magnets are small (around 8-10mm in diameter and 5mm wide) but extremely powerful. I had trouble seperating them from each other ;-)

I basically just hollowed out a hole for each magnet, made sure the holes were aligned and glued the magnets in with regular supeglue.

Mounting the wings now gives a really satisfying "click" when they pull themselves into place. And I feel much safer doing wild loops and stuff now that I know how much force it takes to separate the wings.

/Jesper

Probedude
07-21-2006, 05:42 AM
How have the magnets been holding up? Have they pulled out of the wing?

Graffen
07-21-2006, 06:35 AM
How have the magnets been holding up? Have they pulled out of the wing?

Nope, they're still sitting right where I put them. Next mod (if not a new plane) will definitely be something to give it more speed :-)

Solid Hit
07-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Concerning interference with your motor or radio, I've been using rare earth magnets to hold on the cowling of my GWS Stearman. I'm using a Park 400 in-runner with no interference.

I also use them to hold on the top of my Sonic Liner. I have 8 magnets running on both sides of the fuselage and have no problem there either.

I get them from here: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ I've also used magnets from a dead outrunner.

adhoc
07-21-2006, 03:33 PM
.... Next mod (if not a new plane) will definitely be something to give it more speed :-)The obvious thing here is a bigger motor, but I tried a different road... shortening the wings! See this thread for details... http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8403

There's other stuff in the thread about ailerons and wingerons, you can ignore that as you like... Bottom line is that you can take two inches out of the middle of each wing and it makes it a bit faster and more nimble without ruining the flight characteristics...

Grasshopper
07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I've got rare earth magnets holding the cowl on my E-flite P-47 about 3 or 4" from the Park 450 outrunner and about 2" from the receiver and ESC. No problems so far.

Bill G
07-21-2006, 10:40 PM
I got some rare earth magnets a while ago at a swap meet. They are about 3/8" diameter, versus the little 1/4" rare earth magnets used on batt doors, etc. I'm convinced you could easily hold the wings together on an EasyStar with them.

chaz345
08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Even though rare earth magnets are incredibly strong, their magnetic field is very small. SO the chances of motor or radio interference are limited unless they are very close to something.

SkunkWorks
08-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Has anyone glued thier wings on? The magnet mod sounds great, but I can fit the plane in my car no problem with wings installed. Are there any pro's/con's to this?

WingTips24
08-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey guys I tried something that is very plentiful if you have a home depot and very strong and light weight. It calls for the use of a little lock called a Strike Roller Catch. I don't have the pics on hand but I will post a link the page that I first did mine on. I must say after I did this I would never use anything else.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5817375&highlight=strike+roller#post5817375

Watch the video on how it works! (Post 3011)

Tips

Solid Hit
08-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Excellent idea and the video show a nice clean installation.

LannyG
08-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Has anyone glued thier wings on? The magnet mod sounds great, but I can fit the plane in my car no problem with wings installed. Are there any pro's/con's to this?

I wouldn't glue them. On a good hard crash they are designed to come apart without breaking as badly as if they were glued. No reason to glue them together. They don't come apart in flight. Many sailplanes have slide on wings with no catch. Never had the wings come sliding off. If you worry and they seem loose to you; if you just stick the ends in almost boiling water they will swell up again to their old shape.