PDA

View Full Version : MFA Britten Norman Islander

waynezz
05-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi, I have 3/4 built a BN Islander from an old MFA kit and am trying to find out if anyone has had any experiance with one of these. I have left it sitting for over a year now as I have no idea of what combination of motors/props to use in it. I initially considered direct drive 400's with Gunther props, but wondered if I should be using geared 400's instead. It has a wingspan of around 51 inches with a foam vineered wing.
Any info would be gratefully recieved.

Boomerang
05-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally the Islander used 2 x 550 size electric motors, 6 x 3 Cox grey propellers & 8 x 1200 mAh nicad C size cells, hardly state of the art these days! I bought the 'power pack' for this model & used it in something else.

If you can keep the model as light as possible, it's a bit of a brick with the foam wing, geared 400's on eight cells should do the trick with 9x6 or 9x8 APC electric props if there's room between the fuselage & nacelles - John.

waynezz
05-15-2006, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the info. The kit didn't really have any details of power system, but I have seen an advertisement for a second model of this plane by MFA stating it had a built up wing which may have made sense in respect of lightness. I was going to use an 8 cell pack initially, but I also have some 10 cell packs and was considering trying one of those if it needed more grunt.
cheers, Wayne

jayree
07-25-2006, 10:20 PM
I have an Islander now flying. I powered it with two Phasor 14-3 motors. It flies great.I just bought an Islander BN-2 that came with instructions in Czeck which I cannot read and in addition some of the parts are missing such as the landing gear.Perhaps it is not intended to be flown off the ground. Anyone have any info on this AC?????? Jayree

waynezz
07-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Hi, is it a MFA kit? My problem is weight and only being able to use up to 7" props. I assembled it all together the other day to get an idea of the flying weight and though I never weighed it I felt it is too heavy. Does yours have foam core wings? What size props are you using? and how many cells?

jayree
07-26-2006, 04:16 AM
Mine is a kit but am not sure which one. I have had it for years and just got it down from the attic the other day to fly.The wing is covered rib type balsa . I can weigh it tomorrow if you wish. It realy flies well. The new one I am having problems with is a Islander-BN 22 Fiberglass fuselage with covered rib balsa wing(two section). 48 inch wing span and Chezk instructions.Bought it from Dymond of San Diego.I thought I was getting one of the originals based on the price but not so. Am going to call them on the phone tomorrow to see if I can't reach some sort of an agreement with them as it is really a nice plane. Of course being a novice does not help. Thanks Jerry