PDA

View Full Version : effects of sustained full power + heat?

walter3
08-14-2012, 03:01 AM
trying to educate myself on what to expect from a electric motor. i have the ultra micro t-28 and it seems that the tiny brushed motor is dying from back to back full power flights of 6 minutes. is this abuse? is this too much for the motor to deal with on hot summer days. i am on motor number 2 and it just started to act up again. getting about 20 flights before problems. starting to make noises in flight then just stop. sounds kinda like friction noise. can get it going but only for short periods. getting worse. i have 8 batteries at the field and run them through back to back with minimal down time. am i killing the motor from over use? can someone tell me how i can prolong the life of the motor? rest period between flights? how long? less than full power during the 6 minutes? sorry for the questions as im new but love this plane to death. literally i guess. :oops: very appreciative of any and all advise from those in the know. thanks alot, walt. :rolleyes:

JetPlaneFlyer
08-14-2012, 07:31 AM
I think it'a usually the brushes in the 'old fashioned' brushed motor that cause the trouble. Best way to cure it is to get a brushless conversion... that will also give you a healthy power boost meaning you wont need to fly flat out all the time.

dahawk
08-14-2012, 11:55 AM
+1 on Jet's advice. You should be able to find a very affordable BL motor/esc combo for this plane. Probably a thread discussion on it somewhere. Maybe on RCG. Might even give you a chance to bump up the KV now that you're proficient flying it. If you do make an upgrade, recheck the thrust angle and the cg. Chances are that a BL conversion might be bit lighter in the nose than the stock geared brushed motor. Just thinking out load.

walter3
08-14-2012, 01:46 PM
thank you so much. i have a new motor hopefully on the way. ill keep you posted.

flydiver
08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Don't the micros use a proprietary 'brick' with ESC+RX? Maybe special servos or connectors also? Obviously I don't own one but my Horizon heli is this way. This makes a so-called simple brushless upgrade a serious challenge and maybe a dubious economy.

This is one of those Horizon 'gottchas'.

JetPlaneFlyer
08-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Brushless conversion is reasonably straightforward, I did it on my own PZ SU-26. There are several threads covering it.