PDA

View Full Version : Super Scorpion from the Ben Buckle plan.

tim hooper
05-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Mornin' all!

I've just made up a new flight pack for my Super Scorpion which hasn't flown for a year or so. The old 2000 nicads have died away, so I've made up a 12-cell pack of 3500 NiMhs for this season.

Built from the BB plan, the model features laminted outlines for wings, tailplane and fin and is covered in cream Litespan with crimson Solarfilm trim.

Up front an Astro 15G turns an 11x7 prop. Even at 4Żlb the big Scorp ROGs with ease and then flies on a whisper of power.

The wings were built on a piece of plywood which was pre-twisted in order to promote washout. There's no trace of a tip stall.

The tailplane is detachable for storage which means that the rudder is controlled by internal closed loops acting on a modified servo arm in the tail. A spigot on the bottom of the rudder locates in this arm when the fin is attached.

Just thought I'd share.......:)

tim

Sky Sharkster
05-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Tim, Great job on the Scorpion! Love that shot of the framework, that should inspire some building projects. Thanks for posting the photos!
Ron

tim hooper
05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Ron,

Thanks for the interest! :)

I took the big Scorp to the field this afternoon despite the murky drizzle, and gave it a go. Bearing in mind this was the first discharge of the new battery, I was delighted to get 4 ROG flights from a single charge.

The model behaved as well as ever, so I'm looking forward to campaigning it again this year.

tim