PDA

View Full Version : New .25-sized "Mustang" from Hyperion

Sky Sharkster
05-13-2006, 11:55 AM
A new release from Hyperion models, a larger-scale P-51D "Mustang" is out now. It is available at;
http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_datasheets/hp/Mustang25/HP-P51-25.htm Some specs;
Wingspan 47.5" 1206mm
Length 41.4" 1052mm
Wing Area 397 Sq. In. 25.6 dm2
Flying Weight 3.2-3.6 Lbs. 145-165kg
Recommended equipment- HP-Z3025QB motor (or AXI 2826 series), 50A ESC, 3s 3300mAH LiPo, 5 servos (2 aileron, 1 retracts, 1 elevator 1 rudder), 5 channel TX.
The model features a fiberglass fuselage with balsa frame, built-up wings and includes aluminum self-locking retracts, aluminum spinner and 2 motor mounts, one for an electric outrunner and another for a .25 glow. The color schemes are blue/silver/yellow with invasion stripes, or Olive Drab.
Price? $ 199.00 from Aircraft-World. Don't know who carries these in the U.S. but I saw the kit in a local Hobby Shop for the same price. The overall construction/finish was very good and the F/G fuse was extremely light and well-made.
Always something new!
Ron

Rugar
05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Oh great :eek:, just what I need. Another plane on the wish list :D.

Doppelganger
05-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Hasn't this one been out for a while? Ive had mine for almost 3 months. There is a thread here I believe. It is a great flying plane. The retracts are suspect though. Both left and right failed on mine on the first landing. Strange because I touched down gently. First the right failed, and then the left. I tested them countless times during installation and pre-flight. They locked in both positions. Both broke in the same area. Which means design flaw. Others have had problems as well. Also, the wing does not mesh with the fuse well. Some used sponge to get a snug fit. This could be corrected already as I'm sure the later shipments were probably refined. I'm putting Robarts on mine. I love the plane. Hate the stock gear.

Steve

watt_the?!
05-13-2006, 11:23 PM
this is fantastic!!!...

a p51 mustang!!!...

Sky Sharkster
05-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Hi Steve, the Mustang may have been out for a while but I missed it; Just caught the thread on another site. I saw the post about the landing gear here, but somehow mistook it for the smaller 'Stang (a 400 size that comes with retracts and a B/L motor) so thought this one was different.
Anyhow, it's good to know it flys well (retracts excepted) and I hope this prompts more companies to market larger electric models, especially "Warbirds"
Thanks,
Ron

Doppelganger
05-14-2006, 03:47 AM
Yeah Ron, More planes this size would be great. You mistook it for the Ultrafly Mustang? Anyway, Hyperion are supposed to be coming out with a few more Warbirds of this size. Problem is, they are expensive. I could find .40 size birds cheaper, but the cost of the power system would be high. There in lies the conundrum. :(

Steve

Sky Sharkster
05-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi, Steve, yeah, I must have been in a fog, I read about the retract problem around the time I found the UltraFly Mustang and somehow they got connected in my mind. Too many Mustangs!
Anyway, I agree about the power systems; I can live with the price of a $150 motor, but then an equal-priced ESC and a couple of $200 battery packs, now your talking real money! Like they say, a million bucks doesn't go as far as it used to!
For now I'll stick with the 400 sized models and maybe sneak up to a 600-sized like the Hyperion model.
Thanks,
Ron

Doppelganger
05-14-2006, 03:02 PM
I too love the mustang. I have the .45 size Airborne Models and the Hyperion .25 size. I wanted the Ultrafly as well. I don't think I'll have many more large (.40) planes in the near future. They are very expensive to fly. :eek:

Steve

electro24
01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Hasn't this one been out for a while? Ive had mine for almost 3 months. There is a thread here I believe. It is a great flying plane. The retracts are suspect though. Both left and right failed on mine on the first landing. Strange because I touched down gently. First the right failed, and then the left. I tested them countless times during installation and pre-flight. They locked in both positions. Both broke in the same area. Which means design flaw. Others have had problems as well. Also, the wing does not mesh with the fuse well. Some used sponge to get a snug fit. This could be corrected already as I'm sure the later shipments were probably refined. I'm putting Robarts on mine. I love the plane. Hate the stock gear.

Steve
hi , can I have info regarding your robart landing gear as the one given on the hyperion kit look fragiles , including the small screw which are used to fixed the rectract mechanism on the wing

Gohmer
01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Stock landing gear works fine on mine. I just try it after landing and bend it back to fit if necessary. On a hard landing something has to give. If you beef up the struts and mount it'll tear the whole thing out of the wing. Retracts on this size airplane need a smooth surface and a good pilot.