PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick Tail Wheel & ESC

Armound
08-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi Slow Stick Folks. Open for suggestions on how to keep the tail wheel on. The Small plastic end cap supplied keep falling off.
What size rubber band is used to keep the wing on? And is there a book out there that can give basic knowledge on speed control set up?
Thanks

Armound:)

bsoder
08-22-2005, 10:40 PM
i bought some wire at the LHS that is the same diameter as the wire used in the front gear, then I reinforced the fron gear with it (across between the wheels, secured with solder, then nylon line and CA soak) and replaced the rear gear with just a bent piece. Tight fit on the rear mount but it went in. :) THe stock rear wire IMHO is too weak.

I buy rubber bands at wal-mart - not sure of the exact size. they're about 1/8" across, mabye 2" diameter circle, tan. they work just fine for me. I have some #64 bands as well but they put a lot more pressure on the wing, I like the narrower ones better.

Armound
08-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi BSODER, Thanks for the input a great idea. I'll pay a visit to ACE.

Regards

Armound & Anna:)

Steve
08-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Here's a tail wheel that I built. It's survived two other planes. Pretty much indestructible. As you can see, you can make it out of heavier wire because you don't have to worry about trying to fit it in the standard SS tail wheel plastic thingie. Position it where you want it...a couple or wire ties and some hot glue to hold it in place and your good.

Standard size rubber bands are #64. I use them on my SS no prob. Just stretch them out some before putting them on. Better tight than too loose IMHO.

flypaper 2
08-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Rough up the end of the tailwheel wire with sandpaper. Wrap with dental floss and a touch of CA. Won't come off unless you twist it off with a pair of pliers.

Rugar
08-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Hi Slow Stick Folks. Open for suggestions on how to keep the tail wheel on. The Small plastic end cap supplied keep falling off.

Armound:)

Use a piece of small diameter heat shrink as a retainer to hold the wheel from sliding off.

Armound
08-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Here's a tail wheel that I built. It's survived two other planes. Pretty much indestructible. As you can see, you can make it out of heavier wire because you don't have to worry about trying to fit it in the standard SS tail wheel plastic thingie. Position it where you want it...a couple or wire ties and some hot glue to hold it in place and your good.

Standard size rubber bands are #64. I use them on my SS no prob. Just stretch them out some before putting them on. Better tight than too loose IMHO.

Thanks Steve, A Grate idea. The Hobbie store in Alb. NM said they use # 64 rubber bands as well. They said to just tie 2 of them together.
Thanks again.

Armound & Anna

Armound
08-23-2005, 04:30 AM
Rough up the end of the tailwheel wire with sandpaper. Wrap with dental floss and a touch of CA. Won't come off unless you twist it off with a pair of pliers.

flypaper 2,

Thanks for your input as well, another great idea. I know I came to the Right Forum. Thanks Again.

Armound & Anna

Armound
08-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Use a piece of small diameter heat shrink as a retainer to hold the wheel from sliding off.

Rugar, Thanks for your input as well. And another grate idea. Guess I will have to build another Slow Stick to use all these Grate
ideas.

Armound & Anna

mwhitman
09-03-2005, 07:58 AM
I used CA to glue the cap to keep my tail wheel on. Then I used CA debonder on the axle of the wheel to make sure it didn't get stuck. By the way, if you replace the stock gws plastic tail wheel with a foam wheel, it seems to track much better on the ground during takeoffs and landings.

ESC setup: What specific settings question do you have? I have a Jeti Advance 08 Plus and can select battery type, motor type, brake on/off, cutoff voltage (high/low), throttle curve (linear/exponential).

Armound
09-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi mwhitman, that ia a good idea on the tail wheel using CA and plastic tail wheel with foam. ESC is a GreatPlanes C-25. I have never used an ESC. Just about ready to connect things on the SS. Then I will follow the steps in the instrution sheet. In short I am in the Learning curve. Thanks for the input.

nova801428
09-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I used the stock rubber bands and put 2 together into a knot.