PDA

View Full Version : Maidened My E-flite P-47D this morning.

alienx
05-13-2006, 08:43 PM
What an incredible $79 dollar plane! It is every bit as good as everyone else has said it is. And the sick thing is that I think the landing in their video is one of the nicest I've seen. Mine was pretty much the same but with two wheels and a grass field.

Well, I tried to ROG in a parking lot adjacent to the field. The plane immediately turned left so I tried to rush the take-off and stalled into a gentle crash. It took the rear wheel of (which also came off when I first installed it and put the plane down on my living room floor). I glued it back in but the gear on the plane is virtually worthless. The wire is thin and the foam can't hold the mount. But I wanted to use it so I left it on.

I waited so long this Spring to get a good day that I wasn't going home unless it was broken too badly. Fortunately I just had to tweak the prop a little. So I went to pick up my radio and hand launch it but the neck strap clasp opened and dumped my radio on the pavement. This has happened in my house too so a locking carabiner is going on that damn thing.

It was 5:45AM so I guess this was about what I should have expected. But I still wanted to fly. So I moved to the center of the field and spooled up the Park 450 and tossed it. It almost left my hand without throwing it.

This plane is so well balanced and well behaved that I was thinking about when I could get a second one to my house while I was still trimming it out. I must say that this is only my second flight on that motor and lipo set-up. All else is on a Parkzone Cub and P51. My other brushless lipo flight was a Cessna maiden that didn't go so well. But I learned a lot on that flight and from flying my mustang. So I felt ready to test those theories on the P-47D.

What I learned was that low rates are not low at all. If my high rates are accurate on the plane, than my low rates are like 50% aileron and elevator, and maybe 65% rudder. My Cessna was like a bat chasing bugs. This P-47D is like the Cadillac of war birds. I only went so low because the low rates on the PZ Mustang are close to imperceivable (actually probably less than a 1/4").

I had plenty of throw to do a loop at just over half throttle (my first!), and an aileron roll. The roll took a lot longer than I was comfortable with though.

Well, I could ramble some more but I won't. I will say though that the greatest thing about this plane versus my RTF's is that this one will fly exactly where you point it. I saw someone make fun of another post like that someplace in these forums. But that is what it was like. It wasn't twitchy and it didn't move unless you moved it.

I have an image of one low carving pass I made from left to right in front of me, burned in my mind. I dropped in from about 60 feet and carved an nice gentle glide at about 5 feet, right past me. It struck me how stable the plane was because my eyes locked on the number 17 and the blue and white star on the side of the fuselage as it went past! Oh, one other thing. In spite of how much faster this plane felt than the mustang (probably only much faster at full throttle), I felt very comfortable flying it in the confines of a soccer field.

If you've been thinking about getting one of these, do it!

Andy

qban_flyer
05-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Sound like you have a winner there. Sure looks like one on that photo! Have fun. :)

PS: I love the E-Flite Park motors, all of them! ;)

alienx
05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Sound like you have a winner there. Sure looks like one on that photo! Have fun. :)

PS: I love the E-Flite Park motors, all of them! ;)

Thanks!

That motor is the first one recommended to me by a guy at Red Rocket Hobbies, where I bought my Cessna. I have nothing to compare it to, but I have to believe it is a very nice piece of gear. And it is intoxicating to listen to as the plane goes past you!!

qban_flyer
05-13-2006, 08:56 PM
YUP!

I love the BZZZZZ they make when they fly by. Just prop noise. :D

redgiki
05-13-2006, 09:18 PM
So you opted for no rudder mod? I don't see the telltale white line :)

Without a steerable tailwheel, the rudder is of fairly limited utility for me. I'm not sure, if I were to do it again, if I would do the rudder agan. Keeping this bird light seems to help.

And even though mine's a bit heavier than stock now (25oz AUW), it still flies very well, and does nicely in the confines of a soccer field. If I leave the gear on, though, she always wants to flip over on her back right at the end of the rollout. Irritating, but I've only broken the rudder because of this one time. These days, if I'm park-flying, I just hand-launch and take the gear off.

alienx
05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
So you opted for no rudder mod? I don't see the telltale white line :)

Without a steerable tailwheel, the rudder is of fairly limited utility for me. I'm not sure, if I were to do it again, if I would do the rudder agan. Keeping this bird light seems to help.

And even though mine's a bit heavier than stock now (25oz AUW), it still flies very well, and does nicely in the confines of a soccer field. If I leave the gear on, though, she always wants to flip over on her back right at the end of the rollout. Irritating, but I've only broken the rudder because of this one time. These days, if I'm park-flying, I just hand-launch and take the gear off.

Ah look closer! I took the time to paint the seam. Yellow and black squares in the rudder attachment seam. I hated that white line after seeing how beautiful the plane looked with its paint job.

redgiki
05-13-2006, 09:59 PM
What colors and paint brands did you use? It seems a really close match.

Doppelganger
05-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Congrats on your maiden, and your perserverance.:) I knew you'd have a blast with it. I accidentally grabbed regular CA instaed of "foam safe" and melted the foam near the stick mount hole. Now I have to figure out a way to mount the motor. Poor thing only has 1 flight. Anyway, glad you like your new Plane.

Steve

alienx
05-14-2006, 12:21 AM
What colors and paint brands did you use? It seems a really close match.

It's a Model Masters Acrylic called Blue Angels Yellow. Without the model with me it was as close as I could find from memory. You can see it is slightly different, but I was 2 feet away when I took this picture and I couldn't see the difference. It only shows up here because the flash was two feet away as well. I think a Cub yellow would be pretty good. Believe it or not, the black is Sharpie!! I was extremely happy with how it came out, and I did it with a Q-tip.

alienx
05-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Congrats on your maiden, and your perserverance.:) I knew you'd have a blast with it. I accidentally grabbed regular CA instaed of "foam safe" and melted the foam near the stick mount hole. Now I have to figure out a way to mount the motor. Poor thing only has 1 flight. Anyway, glad you like your new Plane.

Steve

Thank you very much!

I feel bad about yours. This is a delicate bird even if you don't try to hurt it. Redgiki has given me some useful protection ideas, so maybe he might be able to pitch in. I think one of the things he suggested was spackle. You may be able to thin it with some Q-cell (surfboard ding repair), or whatever the equivalent modelling stuff is. Good luck!

Doc Pete
05-14-2006, 12:35 AM
What an incredible $79 dollar plane!

Super nice pic Andy. Can't wait for you to bring it to the field.

Doc Pete
05-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Without a steerable tailwheel, the rudder is of fairly limited utility for me. These days, if I'm park-flying, I just hand-launch and take the gear off.

Yup. Scale landing gear is always a pain. FWIW, Unless you are entering a funfly that requires "ground games", I've never used a steerable tailwheel. With the main gear so far back, and a fair amount of rudder throw, it's pretty hard making straight takeoffs. In fact, it causes many a ground loop.
Pete

alienx
05-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Super nice pic Andy. Can't wait for you to bring it to the field.

Thanks! Looking forward to it. Incidentally, I took that shot in Edison Park the day I came down to check it out. It's over by the ball fields.

redgiki
05-14-2006, 01:07 AM
I accidentally grabbed regular CA instaed of "foam safe" and melted the foam near the stick mount hole. Now I have to figure out a way to mount the motor. Poor thing only has 1 flight.
I did the same thing! My fix was to go ahead and stick the motor mount stick back in, then shove some epoxy + microballoons back in the hole to secure it. Use a protractor and make sure you have about 3 degrees right, and about the same down, figure out a way to hold the stick in position while the epoxy dries, and you're golden.

I didn't stress about the engine thrust angle much, because I could correct it easily with some spacers between the plastic motor mount and the motor. 3 down, 3 right, was actually a little too much down. I added a few pieces of paper (doesn't take much on a plane this size!) as spacers between the bottom-most screw and spacer, and the angle's great now across the power band: no climb or sink at varying throttle settings.

I think I don't have quite enough right-thrust, either: when I throttle up from half throttle, I have a tendency to yaw left a bit. So I'll do the same recipe to the appropriate screw there, too. No biggie; as long as you're in the ballpark, you can get it perfect through test flights.

More excuses to fly this nice-flying plane! Who needs more?

redgiki
05-14-2006, 01:12 AM
I think one of the things he suggested was spackle....

While I'd use spackle on body and wing dings (heh, heh!), I would not use it on a stressor part like a motor mount. If the hole is too large, really the best bet is probably to create a plug for the hole and a real firewall to glue to the foam. If it's not a gaping hole, epoxy (as I mentioned a second ago) works fine to fill. You always have to add nose weight to this bird anyway, so I never stress about any weight ahead of the CG.

Grasshopper
05-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Congratulations Alien! Always good to hear about a good maiden. I'm hoping to get mine maidened in the morning. The wind has been pretty bad here the last few days but is supposed to be around 5 mph in the morning. I've added a few pics of my P-47 and some mods I did to it. I was always scratching up the cowl taking it on and off so I took some info from another thread here and added a clear plastic pull tab. I used some clear acetate, sliced a small slit in the cowl and slid it in. The acetate has a 90 degree bend and is held in with CA. I put some clear two sided tape between it and the cowl to hold it flat. It makes it much eacier to pull the cowl off without scratching it and barely shows.

As far as the battery, I again took the advise of several people on this fine forum and put a loop of velcro on it. I hot glued it to the bottom and top of the battery compartment. I don't think it will go any where.

I found some acrylic paint in the craft section at Wal-Mart for 44 cents a bottle. I used 20760 King's Gold for the yellow and 20504 black. The black needs a little clear coat so it's not quite so flat. But the yellow matched real close without any mixing.

Doppelganger
05-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.:) I'll probably fill in the hole and epoxy a piece of balsa for a firewall.

Steve

alienx
05-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Very Nice. I wasn't sure what people were describing with the velcro strap. The picture helps.

I have to get to Walmart tomorrow to get some touch-up paints. I paid like $4 bucks or so at the "LHS" in Manhattan near my job. That guy is a criminal.

Good luck on the maiden. You will love it!!

K CLOSE
05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Doppelganer- I have had similar problems with foamies in the past. I used tissue wadded in the hole that was then stiffened with foam safe C/A successfully in the past (lighter than you might think). But the best repairs I've made lately have been with Gorilla glue. Hang the 'fuse, dampen the hole and then fill about 1/3 with Gorilla. It foams up and fills the void, is very light and STRONG.
I maidened my P47 last week as well. I agree, what a great flying plane. Went on the cheap though, useing the supplied brushed motor and my Parkzone P-51 batterys for flying ( I've got a bunch). I wanted a low wing warbird for R/O/G and landing pratice, so I cut in rudder. I had to paint the white line too, and my yellow is WAY off, but two feet out you can't tell. Ditto on a tape handle, but I also suggest adding clear packing tape to the wingtips as well. Runways are VERY course sandpaper on a foam wing tip.:eek:

redgiki
05-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Runways are VERY course sandpaper on a foam wing tip.:eek:

Yeah, it's even sawn through my fiberglassing job! I hate seeing white peeking through on my green wing...

Grasshopper
05-17-2006, 07:26 PM
That's just sad. Maybe E-Flite should use green foam to mold it. I'm considering buying another one, shaving the fuse to make it a bubble top and glassing it. Do you think it could be made into a bubble top? Where would a guy find a canopy the right size?

Grasshopper
05-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey Alien,

I'm with you and already thinking about a second one and converting it to a bubble top. What motor is in yours?

Tom

redgiki
05-17-2006, 08:20 PM
That's just sad.

Eh, that's just life in windy Tooele, UT. If I'm not landing in a nasty crosswind, I get worried. I figure that at some point I'll repaint over the white, and then probably use either multiple coats of the 1/2oz fiberglass I have or some 0.75oz fiberglass and maybe even epoxy this time rather than minwax to prevent the scuffing. It's still survived far, far more rough treatment than my unglassed first wing.

qban_flyer
05-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Runways are VERY course sandpaper on a foam wing tip.:eek:Don't my planes know it. I use that hard plastic stuff RC car guys stick on the bottom of their car's chassis. I guess if it's good enough for them it has got to be fine for my planes wing tips and horizontal stab tips.

Have no clue as to what the stuff is called, though.

Grasshopper
05-17-2006, 09:40 PM
I can't stand to see my planes scratched up. I think I'm going to get my buddy to catch them when they come in for landing. I'll explain while I'm teaching him to fly that it's just part of the process. I'll just have to make sure I don't train him well enough to land so I don't have to catch his plane.

qban_flyer
05-17-2006, 10:05 PM
I can't stand to see my planes scratched up. I think I'm going to get my buddy to catch them when they come in for landing. I'll explain while I'm teaching him to fly that it's just part of the process. I'll just have to make sure I don't train him well enough to land so I don't have to catch his plane.
:D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

alienx
05-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Hey Alien,

I'm with you and already thinking about a second one and converting it to a bubble top. What motor is in yours?

Tom

I have the E-flite Park 450 BL in it. What a great motor on a 3S 2100 lipo (2200 apex lipo for me actually. But the same size).

t. edwards
05-19-2006, 03:32 AM
I thin 30 min epoxy with alchohol and "paint" the wing tips and scuff areas to "armor" them. You can color it easily by mixing in some paint also. Tom

Grasshopper
05-19-2006, 03:53 AM
Sounds like a good idea Tom. I hate to see such a beautiful bird get scuffed up.

Thanks Alien, thats the motor I've decided on for mine too.

qban_flyer
05-19-2006, 04:49 AM
I thin 30 min epoxy with alchohol and "paint" the wing tips and scuff areas to "armor" them. You can color it easily by mixing in some paint also. TomGreat tip! :)

redgiki
05-19-2006, 06:04 AM
I thin 30 min epoxy with alchohol and "paint" the wing tips and scuff areas to "armor" them.

So let's say I have some more Scotch, Vodka, and Rum. Which do you think is the best choice for mixing with the epoxy?

The AMA manual should caution against building while drunk, as well as flying. I wonder how many crashes are the result of hung-over builds?

--
Matt B.

alienx
05-19-2006, 11:13 AM
That is a great idea. Gonna have to give it a try. Personally, I would go with tequila.

PS. That Park 450 will not let you down. I just wish you could get them at a bargain price like some of the other brushless motors out there.

Grasshopper
05-19-2006, 12:24 PM
The Park 450s do seem to be a little pricey. I've even tried the Scotch, Vodka and Rum to see if it would help loosen up my wallet for one but it hasn't yet. It's the only piece I need now to convert to brushless. I think maybe Tanqueray and Tonic will be just the ticket.

Just another tid bit of information: Be carefull when working with alchohol and epoxy. The other night I melted my wing and glued my lips together.

t. edwards
05-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Actually you start with a bottle of vodka and a bottle of isopropyl...

alienx
05-19-2006, 05:46 PM
The Park 450s do seem to be a little pricey. I've even tried the Scotch, Vodka and Rum to see if it would help loosen up my wallet for one but it hasn't yet. It's the only piece I need now to convert to brushless. I think maybe Tanqueray and Tonic will be just the ticket.

Just another tid bit of information: Be carefull when working with alchohol and epoxy. The other night I melted my wing and glued my lips together.

Yea, $59 bucks or whatever is not a lot in relative terms I guess, but when you see others going for $30 or so, you have to stop and think. But the motor is the bomb. And from my two sorties on it compared to all the other heavy brushed stuff I've flown, this is night and day better. It is amazing to fly a plane that is not underpowered. With my PZ stuff, I always had to fly turns with down stick to make sure I didn't stall. Some of that is due to the plane, but a lot of it is the underpowered nature of it I'm sure. With the P47, I could do sort of climbing banking turns, kinda like a skateboard half-pipe if you know what I mean. And surprisingly, more power doesn't necessarily mean too fast!

I have the wheels and wing plates off mine now for good. I patched the mount holes with pieces of a dvd player packing foam. Then painted them and touched up all the scuffs. Then I put about 5 coats of spray-on polycrylic on it. The polycrylic doesn't seem to add any weight, but the shell feels more robust in my hand when I pick up the plane. And if nothing else, the tape I use to hold down the canopy front peels back off without pulling the paint with it like it used to.

I weighed the wheels and wing plates and I am sure i've dropped about 3oz. I think the plates where a little more than an ounce, and the wheels a little more than an ounce too. So maybe 2.5oz. That and I lost all the drag from the wheels. She's probably gonna cook now!!

qban_flyer
05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
So let's say I have some more Scotch, Vodka, and Rum. Which do you think is the best choice for mixing with the epoxy?

The AMA manual should caution against building while drunk, as well as flying. I wonder how many crashes are the result of hung-over builds?

--
Matt B.The AMA specifically forbids anyone from flying a radio controlled model within eight (8) hours of having consumed alcoholic beverages.

That safety rule does not prevent some members of the Board of Directors and the Safety Officer, as well as other members of a prominent Washington, DC radio control club from drinking at the field and flying their 30% and larger gasser models while under the influence!

Lets not forget the fact that these idiots have to drive home in that state of intoxication once they have finished partying at the flying facility. Flying facility is kindly provided and paid for by the National Capital Area Park & Planning Commision of Maryland. Park & Planning strcitly forbids alcoholic beverages within the confines of a public park, which is where that flying field is located at, a Maryland Public Park.

Last time discarded alcoholic beverage containers were found at the location by non alcoholic members was a week ago today. The BOD has been deaf to the membership's demands for this abhorrent and unsafe (not to mention illegal) practice to cease.

I am sure it will stop when someone gets killed, maimed or an adjacent private estate gets damaged by an RC model under the control of one of these drunk pilots. Not only will that moment mark the end of that club as a viable AMA entity, but may also mark the end of our hobby as well.

Matt Halton
06-27-2006, 02:24 AM
My brand new video of my P-47 down in the weeds can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYZke8K8ebg

Was a great fun flying experience,just love this model :D

Matt

crashnburn
09-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi, I'm new to electrics but not too new at flying. Been away from it for a few years, (last plane I owned was a GP Easy Sport 40), but would like to get back at it.
I love the looks of the 'Jug', however I've always built my own planes and never flown an ARF/RTF or an electric for that matter. Not that it probably makes that much of a difference, but I guess I'll find out.
Question I have is how much flying experience would you need to handle the E-flite P-47?

Grasshopper
09-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Welcome crashnburn,

The E-flight P-47 is probably my favorite plane to fly. It is a really sweet flyer even with the stock 480 motor. I switched mine to a Park 450 and 3S 2100 lipos and I love flying it. It's really kind of hard to say how much experience you need to fly it though. I started back into RC after a number of years away and I also flew .40 size sport planes.

I didn't want to take a chance on crashing a new plane so I bought a Parkzone
J3 Cub to get reaquainted. Since I didn't have anyone to fly with, I wanted something relatively slow and forgiving to start with.

A few things for it's worth: I wouldn't start with the P-47. If you can, try to find a plane that is a good beginner plane. Maybe a Slow Stick, Easy Star or I even think the new Hobbyzone Super Cub would be a good one.
We all want to start out with a good looking fast plane, but I feel it's best to take it in steps.

Second, if possible, try to find someone to help you get started again. If at the very least, let them check it all over to make sure it's ready to go and even better, let them maiden it for you and ease you back into the controls.

I guess only you can decide if your ready or not, but I can tell you that the first time I flew my J3, it was nerve racking to say the least. By the time I got oriented and got the crazy thing back in front of me I was a mess. I can guarantee I would have crashed the P-47.

Third, get reaquainted with the controls with a simulator. You can download FMS for free and although not the best out there, it will get you used to flying again.

Once you are ready, I would highly recommend the E-Flite P-47. It is a very smooth flyer with no bad habits and floats in for landings (relatively speaking for warbirds).

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's a lot of great guys here willing to help.

Tom

alienx
09-04-2006, 01:52 AM
I think grasshopper got it pretty right.

The only thing I will say is that as far as warbirds go, this is a good choice. It is a very nice flyer and rock solid in the air.

Hey, if you like to build your own, I'll tell you a good one to check out, but only if you build two and let me have one!! A guy named Jim Ryan makes a 31" jug kit with built up fuse and sheeted foam wings. I have grown extremely interested in this one and if it was closer to 36" or a little bigger, I'm sure it would be the first kit plane I would ever have purchased! I don't have a link for you, but he seems to be well known in the hobby. I think you can search for his name to find his site.

Welcome back!!

Andy

PS. I almost lost my second P47 today in wind and sun glare. I lost complete sight of it behind a tree and for a few seconds had to wait to see what would happen next. Happily, it popped back up over the tree and I saved it. What sheer panic there for a minute though. I have no idea why I am admitting this. Maybe I needed to confess!

pd1
12-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Well I just test flew my E-Flite P-47 today. I am really impressed.

My plane came out to 26 ounces, with a Dynam A22-20L motor, Dynam 25 A ESC. And a 2100 mah 3 cell lipo.
servos are (4) 9 gram tower pro's, rudder added.
receiver is a Spektrum.
stock prop.

After trimming, which just put the control surfaces back in the middle, I did some playing. Vertical rolls are no sweat as is inverted and 4 point rolls. Plane flies absolutely great.
E-Flite did a great job on this.

The Dynam motor, $35. at Blackdogrc and Dynam ESC $ 25, same place, with the Tower pro servos,6 for $50, same place.
This make an unbelievably low cost fun package.
3 vertical rolls, immediately after a takeoff run of less than 10 feet.

The power makes the plane goof proof, everything all the previous posters have said about this thing is absolutely true.
Thanks guys.

If anyone needs a stock motor, send me a message, shipping only it's yours.
Paul

Grasshopper
12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Congrats on the maiden pd. I take mine with me almost every time I go out. It's a blast to fly because it's so stable. You can almost slow it down enough to catch it on landings.

Phoenex
12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Well I just test flew my E-Flite P-47 today. I am really impressed.

My plane came out to 26 ounces, with a Dynam A22-20L motor, Dynam 25 A ESC. And a 2100 mah 3 cell lipo.
servos are (4) 9 gram tower pro's, rudder added.
receiver is a Spektrum.
stock prop.

After trimming, which just put the control surfaces back in the middle, I did some playing. Vertical rolls are no sweat as is inverted and 4 point rolls. Plane flies absolutely great.
E-Flite did a great job on this.

The Dynam motor, $35. at Blackdogrc and Dynam ESC $ 25, same place, with the Tower pro servos,6 for $50, same place.
This make an unbelievably low cost fun package.
3 vertical rolls, immediately after a takeoff run of less than 10 feet.

The power makes the plane goof proof, everything all the previous posters have said about this thing is absolutely true.
Thanks guys.

If anyone needs a stock motor, send me a message, shipping only it's yours.
Paul

Congratulations on your maiden flight! How many amps with that setup? I assume you used the included Eflite plastic stick adapter with that motor. Did you have any problems mounting the motor?

Hitch
12-04-2006, 03:18 PM
So i have a question for everyone. I cannot seem to get the plane to balance. Mine seems to be VERY tail heavy.

I have the e-flight 450 (which as CRAZY power as pointed out earlier in this thread), a CC18amp speed control, and a TP 3c2100mah lipo. I have the Lipo shoved as far forward as possible. I am not using the rudder. Even with the ENTIRE block of clay it comes with in the cowling, it still will not balance. But when I land, the front two wheels touch, then it immediatly noses over and slides to a stop on the cowling :) So that means...its too nose heavy? I cant figure it out.

I will try and take pictures tonight. Did any else have a problem balancing their P-47?

pd1
12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Phoenix, Yes I used the plasic stick adaptor. I had to file two of the holes oval to fit the motor, but other than that it was straight forward.

As for amps, I'm guilty of not checking with this prop. I had used this motor in another airplane to test, I had a larger prop on it, I assumed it would be a lower draw with the smaller prop.

I'll check before the next flight though.

pd1
12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Hitch, I added 1/2 ounce weight to the nose for ballancing. The Dynam motor I used is a little larger and heavier than the E-flite 450.

I ballance on the embossed marks on the wing, holding the plane upside down.

When you fly your plane, and the plane is trimmed for level flight, is the elevator in the middle?
If the plane is Noseheavy, you will need up trim to fly level.
If it's tail heavy you will need down trim to fly level..

If the elevator trim is correct, I would suspect the landing gear if the plane goes over on the nose.
Do the wheels roll freely?

Looking from the top of the plane, the gear legs can be bent so the wheels are just under the leading edge of the wing.

Check the trim, check the gear.
Let us know what you find.

Hitch
12-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Before flight, the elevator is in the middle. Was very careful about that. Had to give a lot of down trim to keep it level during flight. The wheels roll freely, but I will check that they are under the leading edge of the wing. Who knows, could have installed them backwards.

Thanks for the quick response.

Phoenex
12-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Before flight, the elevator is in the middle. Was very careful about that. Had to give a lot of down trim to keep it level during flight. The wheels roll freely, but I will check that they are under the leading edge of the wing. Who knows, could have installed them backwards.

Thanks for the quick response.

The nose over has been a common issue, even with the landing gear installed properly, you still need to hold the mounts on the bottom and bend the wheels forward until the wheel axles are at the leading edge when you look from the top down over the wing. The mounts into the wing are a bit weak and you may find that down the road you will have to reinforce with fiberglass to keep them into the wing.

Grasshopper
12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I use the Park 450 also and had to add 1 oz. of weight to the nose. I used the stick on wheel weights instead of the clay. I wasn't comfortable the clay would stay in place. Mine balances on the factory spots.

I would think your nose over problem is from the gear position. I didn't use the gear. I just belly it in and it slides on the grass great.

DetroitHawk
12-05-2006, 12:54 AM
ok i am thinking about getting one of these planes. I have a few questions:

Do most of you use the wheels it came with or do you prefer to remove them inorder to lighten the plane up?

I see some of you are using a brushless setup are any of you running direct or are most of you using a gear reduction?

Hitch
12-05-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm running the 450-brushed direct.

The wheels appear to be along the leading edge of the wing without bending the landing gear (see attached pictures). Ill have to play with moving the weight in the front and getting the lead weights as a huge block of clay in the front would be disastrous if it came undone.

Grasshopper
12-05-2006, 02:38 AM
ok i am thinking about getting one of these planes. I have a few questions:

Do most of you use the wheels it came with or do you prefer to remove them inorder to lighten the plane up?

I see some of you are using a brushless setup are any of you running direct or are most of you using a gear reduction?

Hello Detroit,

I started out with mine on the stock brushed set up with a 3S 2100 lipo and it really flew very well. I left the wheels off mine just because I didn't want them hanging down in flight It hand launches great. It is very predictable on launches and landings once you have it trimmed out. It's a GREAT flying plane.

I'm running the 450-brushed direct.

The wheels appear to be along the leading edge of the wing without bending the landing gear (see attached pictures). Ill have to play with moving the weight in the front and getting the lead weights as a huge block of clay in the front would be disastrous if it came undone.

Hitch, It's my understanding that it's best to have the center of the wheels in line with the leading edge of the wing for best results. Maybe someone else will add some additional comments. If you do need to bend them forward, I would take them out of the wing to avoid cracking the gear supports.

Tom

pd1
12-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Hitch, looking at your pictures, it looks like you could bend your landing gear a little more forward. I think you could get your wheels another 1/2 inch more forward.
Do what Grasshopper said, remove the gear legs first. I don't know how much strain the gear mounts can take, and I wouldn't want to weaken them unnessasarily.
Hitch, the CG is a flight adjustment, add weight untill the plane ballances on the two spots and go from there.

One more thing, did you weigh your motor?
My motor weighs 3.6 ounces.

DETROITHAWK, The motor I used was an outrunner, a direct drive motor. I chose that one because it is powerfull and more important low priced.
The E-Flite 450 talked about here is also a direct drive outrunner type as well.
I left my gear on because this time of year I can fly at a paved parking area. Maybe when I fly off grass I'll remove the gear.

pd1
12-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Congratulations on your maiden flight! How many amps with that setup? I assume you used the included Eflite plastic stick adapter with that motor. Did you have any problems mounting the motor?

Phoenix,

I haven't tested my motor and prop combination for current draw yet, but here's some numbers from the site.
10x7 apce 8010 rpm 21.7 A 36.4 oz thrust
11x7 apce 7320 rpm 24.7 A 48.5 oz thrust

Heres the website : http://64.33.154.92/blackdogrc/brushless.jsp#A22-20L

I've been using the stock 10x7 E-Flite prop, I've been flying at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, full power for only seconds at a time.
Full power goes straight up.....

My plane weighs 26 ounces and you can see the thrust capability is crazy.
I chose the motor only because it was heavy. The plane wants to be tail heavy anyway.
Also the price was right $35.00 is more than an ounce of thrust per dollar.

Phoenex
12-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Phoenix,

I haven't tested my motor and prop combination for current draw yet, but here's some numbers from the site.
10x7 apce 8010 rpm 21.7 A 36.4 oz thrust
11x7 apce 7320 rpm 24.7 A 48.5 oz thrust

Heres the website : http://64.33.154.92/blackdogrc/brushless.jsp#A22-20L

I've been using the stock 10x7 E-Flite prop, I've been flying at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, full power for only seconds at a time.
Full power goes straight up.....

My plane weighs 26 ounces and you can see the thrust capability is crazy.
I chose the motor only because it was heavy. The plane wants to be tail heavy anyway.
Also the price was right $35.00 is more than an ounce of thrust per dollar.

No need to test, unless you are curious. One reason to test of course is that with these lower cost motors they can vary quite a bit at the factory, so you might want to test anyway. Just from your flight experience the motor certainly appears like it has plenty of power for even the toughest conditions. A good fit for the plane for COG as well. I am using a quality 20mm inrunner on a gearbox swinging an 11x7E prop drawing 17 amps. I built light, no rudder or landing gear, moved the battery all the way forward and moved the ESC in the cowl. No weight added for COG, it's a tad rearward but flys great this way. Plenty of power for windy conditions and can go verticle. I must admit my questions regarding the motor is for future projects and possibly the Typhoon 3D outrunner conversion. I am not sure it's been mentioned, but I will mention it again to make sure the motor stick is super secured into the fuse otherwise it will loosen and pull out over time using these highly powered setups.

Kilo60
12-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Anyone try or have any experience with a PARKZONE 11.1 volt 2200 mah Lipo in the E-Flite p-47???

If so how's the performance/weight and especially the fit of the PARKZONE Pack compared to the Thunderpower Packs for instance.

I've got two extra PARKZONE Lipo packs that I use in my Stryker C that would be nice to use as double-duty in the E-Flite P-47. :D

Thanks!

Phoenex
12-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Anyone try or have any experience with a PARKZONE 11.1 volt 2200 mah Lipo in the E-Flite p-47???

If so how's the performance/weight and especially the fit of the PARKZONE Pack compared to the Thunderpower Packs for instance.

I've got two extra PARKZONE Lipo packs that I use in my Stryker C that would be nice to use as double-duty in the E-Flite P-47. :D

Thanks!

The packs will fit and work just fine on any of the power setups listed in the manual.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/P-47D_Manual.pdf

diablo
12-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Nice :) Where did you get it?

Kilo60
12-15-2006, 05:31 AM
The packs will fit and work just fine on any of the power setups listed in the manual.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/P-47D_Manual.pdf

Sounds Great, Thanks!

I figure the extra 100mah of the 2200mah PARKZONE lipo (as opposed to the 2100mah lipos) would not only benefit in an extra minute or two of flightime but the extra .5 oz is worth the 100 extra mah since this bird seems to need noseweight with a BL setup anyway.

Might as well have an extra 100mah up front than an idle .05 chunk of lead/clay. :D

intimidator_md
12-31-2006, 03:39 AM
It's nice to hear good news about the 450 brushless. I just put one in my L-19. The guy at my LHS said he's been very pleased with e-flite motors. Otherwise I was leaning towards a Himax motor. You are right, it does have such a nice quiet buzzzzzz when it runs, compared to brushed motors that whine. Congrats on the successful maiden. Nice looking bird too.