PDA

View Full Version : Laser-Cut "Short" Kits

Sky Sharkster
05-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Manzano Laser Works, located in Tijeras, N.M. is offering an extensive line of laser-cut "Short" kits. The designs are from Pat Tritle and Peter Rake and include many WWI aircraft and a few civilian designs. The list from Pat Tritle include;
30" Pitts M-14
34" Clipped Wing Taylorcraft
30" Very Ugly Stick
22" Ultimate
36" Spacewalker
25" Fokker Dr.1

And From Peter Rake;
42" FK-24 Baboon
36" DH-6
36" and 54" SPAD XIII
36" and 54" SE 5a
42" Fokker D-VIII
36" Moska MB Bis
36" Sopwith Camel
36" AJ Sportster
38" Bristol F2B Brisfit
32" Isaac's Fury
38" WACO SRE
48" Eastbourne Monoplane
36" Fokker EIII
48" Eindekker EIII
36" Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter
37" Nieuport Monoplane
One example, the Sopwith Camel, has the following specs; 36" Wingspan, 24" Length, Weight 21 oz, Wing Area 390 sq in. Recommended power Speed 400 with Olympus 2.33:1 Gearbox, 10" x 7" Prop, 8 x 1100mAH NiMH. This is a 4 channel design with ailerons in all 4 wing panels. Price, including shipping in the U.S.; Parts Only $34.95. Parts and Plans $44.95. Plans Only $16.95.
There are threads on the "WWI Warbirds" regarding some of the Peter Rake designs. Thanks, Tim!
http://www.manzanolaser.com/id3.html
More kits, not enough time!
Ron

watt_the?!
05-15-2006, 11:58 PM
we've just setup to replicate Charlie's over here in Australia- and add some other Peter Rake types also.

see my sig.

Tim

Twmaster
05-16-2006, 12:40 AM
If they would offer Pat's Ercoupe I'd be all over that!

Thanks for the info Shark!

ForestCam
05-16-2006, 12:52 AM
How can someone put out a laser cut balsa kit for less then some foamies???:confused:

;)

Twmaster
05-16-2006, 01:05 AM
I've been told there is one good way to make a small fortune in the kit business.

Start with a large fortune.

:p

jhouvener
05-16-2006, 02:39 AM
Some very good kits in medium to larger size.

1. the Fusion by Electro flying.com-A 57 1/2" sport aerobatic. Tjis is one of the best kits that I have ever seen, Allmost all lazer kit and fits to per-
fection. www.electroflying.com (http://www.electroflying.com).

2. 80" and 40" super cub--www.adrianpage.com. I built the 80" version,
very light.

3. Allmost all of the Sig kits-The LT25 a long time favorite.

4. The great planes ultimate bipe- 43.5" wing span. Note you have to be
carefull on GP kits. Some are just too overbuilt for electric, The Easy Sport for example is way too heavy.

5. The Fleet Bipe-56" wing span.-designed strictly for electric. Sorry I lost his E-mail-look for the ad

portablevcb
05-16-2006, 03:31 AM
"I've been told there is one good way to make a small fortune in the kit business.

Start with a large fortune."

:D :D :D

Or a good paying job not related to modelling. :)

Thanks for the plug Sky.

We also have some other things in the works. I'm working on some laser cut kits based on the Earl Stahl plans, enlarged to around 50". The first to be attempted is the Hurricane. Also to be tested in this are some retracts made by us to fit in these planes (and will be included in the kits when done). Don't hold your breath, this will take me a couple of months to get sorted out. Also hope to have some retracts to fit Pat's DC6 when it is released.

charlie

Sky Sharkster
05-16-2006, 03:40 AM
Hi Charlie. Welcome to Wattflyer! Your company has some great designs, hope to see more. These are a good size for the small-scale "Park" planes we all like to build. If I can, I'd like to put in a request for a couple of my favorites, don't know if the copyrights, legalities, royalities, etc will permit it but anyway, the Kinner Sportster and Pete Bowers' Flybaby would look mighty good buzzing around the ol' airfield!
Thanks again
Ron

portablevcb
05-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Ron,

I'll pass those on to Tritle, he likes a challenge :)

And, for those who have other favorties amoung Pete's plans send him a note as well. He's converting some of his earlier pencil stuff to CAD for cutting.

charlie

buzzltyr
05-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Also hope to have some retracts to fit Pat's DC6 when it is released.

charlie

Charlie, Noooooooooooo! :D :D :D

Too late for me!

Mark

portablevcb
05-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Mark,

Not to worry. We're going to make it so they can be retrofitted. Maybe have to take the covering off the bottom of the wing and fuse to run wires.

charlie

buzzltyr
05-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks, Charlie. I'm not sure how easy a retrofit would be. The gear is pretty well hidden inside the structure, especially the nosegear. But I'll happily take a look at what you've got, when you've got them together.

Mark

intruderdave
07-29-2006, 04:10 PM
:confused:About lasercutting - can anyone recommend a good company to laser cut wing ribs? I'm planning a project with way more ribs in a tapered wing than I want to cut by hand. Any info will be appreciated

Dave

portablevcb
07-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, since I do that kind of work I can recommend myself :D

Reference for cut costs is generally $2 per sheet of 4"x24" balsa (1/32" to 3/16") for ready to cut files. This means that the parts are laid out on a 'sheet' the way you want and 'retaining tabs' are drawn in. I prefer CorelDraw or *.dwg files (Autocad 2004 or 2000). I can use .dxf but some drawing forms do not tranlsate redily. Also, to make sure you get what you draw, polyline all of your shapes.

You can email the drawings for an estimate before cutting. You retain the rights to the drawings.

Shipping for most kits within the US is $6. Overseas runs from $12 to $20 (usually).

charlie
manzano laser works
www.manzanolaser.com

Sky Sharkster
06-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I just found a full build and flying review of the Manzano Laser Works Sopwith Camel, by Jim Walker, here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606247
Some very interesting comments on C.G. issues, stall and spin tendencies and flying ability. The model reviewed is flown with a brushless upgrade.
Ron