PDA

View Full Version : SLo-V in tree

SlO-V
08-23-2005, 01:26 AM
I started off today by reviewing the weather forecast, particularly the wind speed. The weather report was 3 MPH winds variable from the NNW. No problem right.

Just right for my second attempt to fly my SLO-V . My first RC airplane ever. The first attempt was during a very windy day and I ended up driving it into a tree.
I bought replacement parts and repaired it just waiting for a windless day like today .

I hand launched it and it took off, started climbing really good, heart was beating and thought wow, this is cool until the first gust of wind caught it and sent it toward two big pine trees that where about 100 feet tall.
I said to myself ,no problem I will just fly between them or over them.
The next gust of wind sent it into the top branches of the right pine tree that I was trying to fly it in between.
As I stood there trying to figure out how to get my airplane out of the tree, I knew then this is going to be a long learning curve. I can't seem to find a windless day on my days off to fly. and trying to find a descent place to fly is going to be a challenge.

later on , with my rod and reel in hand and a heavy weigh tied on , I managed after about fifty tries to get around the airplane and tied on some heavy trout line string and yanked it out of the tree bending the propeller but nothing else. and this was on a hot day.95 outside. but it was fun:) .

RickAvery
08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Do what you gotta do to get your plane back. Glad you got it. Now, Don't try to fly between trees as one WILL reach out and grab your plane.:D
Rick

SlO-V
08-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Rick, that was a good lesson for me and one I will not repeat. Hopefully my next day off will be windless and I will try again.
Been scouting some better field locations that will allow for some more elbow room.;)Thanks

Steve
08-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Dude...stay WAY away from trees. Turn WAY before you think you should to avoid them. Depth perception gets lower the farther away you fly. I'm an expert on this subject:o

debhicks
08-25-2005, 10:42 AM
If you keep having windy days and you just want to fly, go and get you the Aerobird Challenger. It's not a heavy wind airplane but it will fly in a nice breeze steady and true. It's heavy enough to cut through and will give you the practice you need to become a great pilot. Then you can have your slow V for the breathless days.

That's what I did. Actually we keep one in the flying trailer with us for several reasons. New interested pilots, crashed everything else or just want to fly with a little wind and the soarstar isn't fun. Out comes the aerobird.

Ours got a wild hair (nephew) and was attracted to a tree. Spent about 3 weeks up there until wind got it down for us. Our landlord found it and put it up for us. We tried everything including the fishing pole method. We have found a slingshot to be better, now. So if it ever gets the wild hair thing again, we'll be prepared.

I thought it was funny, but we do fly it and since I like thermaling it is a great glider or trainer for that too.

Tommyr
08-26-2005, 01:36 AM
I just got my Slo-V today! My first RC plane. I can't wait to try it! Glad you got your's down!

Tom

rhelfrich
08-26-2005, 04:35 AM
I agree with debbie.

Fly with an 8.4 volt battery. set cotrols to pro mode and move the pull lines to the inner most holes on the elevators

Cut a grouve in the bottom of the wing in the ridge line betwen the 1 st LE breaks on both sides. Put in a 4 mm carbon fiber tube with low temp hot glue. I know it sounds heavy, but preserve the air foil and you will have a wing that will with stand wing tip landings without folding. I have landed this way twice with success.

SlO-V
08-27-2005, 01:35 AM
Debbie, I have been looking at the Firebird commander and Aerobirds at my local hobby shop and am considering buying one for my next purchase.
Thanks for the advice.

Tommyr, congrats on your Slo-V, I can't wait to get back out to the flying field to give it another try.
Just don't get to anxious and try to fly on a windy day like I did and end up in a tree.:o

rhelfrich, I will try your suggestions, thanks.

Tommyr
08-27-2005, 01:44 AM
Debbie, I have been looking at the Firebird commander and Aerobirds at my local hobby shop and am considering buying one for my next purchase.
Thanks for the advice.

Tommyr, congrats on your Slo-V, I can't wait to get back out to the flying field to give it another try.
Just don't get to anxious and try to fly on a windy day like I did and end up in a tree.:o

rhelfrich, I will try your suggestions, thanks.

Thanks! No, I'll wait. I've been doing a TON of reading on these the past few weeks so I'm learning from others already. I will admit to firing her up in the living room a bit to make her roll forward a little. I'm 47 but feel like a little kid with a new toy!

Tom

Glacier Girl
08-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Slo-V,
A little tip, very early am and at dusk, are the two best times for low winds.
Also try a weather site like www.usairnet.com (http://www.usairnet.com) Will give you very up to date info on winds, both amounts and direction, among other things.

roofer
08-27-2005, 03:27 AM
hi i just bought a slo v and can't get it to fly. it nose dives every time! Can you help me or tell me where to turn! thanks so much I liked your tree story you shared! I just wanna fly!
thanks
roofer1967@aol.com
:D

DesertGringo
08-27-2005, 05:46 PM
I started off today by reviewing the weather forecast, particularly the wind speed. The weather report was 3 MPH winds variable from the NNW. No problem right.

Just right for my second attempt to fly my SLO-V . My first RC airplane ever. The first attempt was during a very windy day and I ended up driving it into a tree.
I bought replacement parts and repaired it just waiting for a windless day like today .

I hand launched it and it took off, started climbing really good, heart was beating and thought wow, this is cool until the first gust of wind caught it and sent it toward two big pine trees that where about 100 feet tall.
I said to myself ,no problem I will just fly between them or over them.
The next gust of wind sent it into the top branches of the right pine tree that I was trying to fly it in between.
As I stood there trying to figure out how to get my airplane out of the tree, I knew then this is going to be a long learning curve. I can't seem to find a windless day on my days off to fly. and trying to find a descent place to fly is going to be a challenge.

later on , with my rod and reel in hand and a heavy weigh tied on , I managed after about fifty tries to get around the airplane and tied on some heavy trout line string and yanked it out of the tree bending the propeller but nothing else. and this was on a hot day.95 outside. but it was fun:) . seems ya better at Fly Fishing than Flying Electric...wind is the most dominate factor..7 MPH is too much .. and trees dont help. here in the Desert we only fly at sunrise, the Thermals start soon after then all hell breaks loose thereafter . Find an area at least 300' in all directions..and always use the wind direction as your final leg. No Crosswind landings here, Amigo. =) Have fun

frvrngn
08-27-2005, 09:50 PM
hi i just bought a slo v and can't get it to fly. it nose dives every time! Can you help me or tell me where to turn! thanks so much I liked your tree story you shared! I just wanna fly!
thanks
roofer1967@aol.com

Are you hand launching or ground? Make sure with either you dont pull back too much right after takeoff. It will stall and nose plant in no time. Check your tail as well and make sure the flaps are nice and level. You can give them a bit of an "up" trim if needed. Seems obvious but make sure you have full throttle and and a fully charged pack. Top off your pack right before flight too. The Slo-V needs patience to gain altitude. I have only been flying a little while now, but I learned quickly to just let the plane do all the work. First few times, everytime I would get impatient and try and climb faster it would stall a little and I would lose all my altitude. Now I can get her up to 100+feet easily. Once up there the plane is so stable you can shut the engine off and and just glide around for quite a while.

Last but not least, listen to everybody about the wind! Do not fly if its windy! This plane just hates wind and will make your life miserable. Under 5mph is ideal, it will just float in the air. If it gets gusty, you will just spend your time trying to over correct the plane.

Glacier Girl
08-27-2005, 11:09 PM
thanks
roofer1967@aol.com

Couple of things to check,#1 make sure your batteries are FULLY charged. If not you won't have enough power to fly. Secondly, check the main wing position, You may have it too far back, which will make it very nose heavy, and very hard to get into the air.

bubbagates
08-29-2005, 08:16 PM
One thing about model planes and trees that you must remember is this.

Trees have yet to learn the difference between balsa and foam planes. That being said, all trees tend to reach out and grab models thinking they are their children or something like that and they just want them to come home. :D

Other trees are jealous of them and eat them.:eek:

Just adding a little humor, I am glad you got your planes back.

debhicks
08-29-2005, 08:26 PM
That's only because they want to become one with the tree. They didn't tell the foam airplanes that they aren't related.

I just graduated into a shock flyer. (I take my time, you see) Ikkarus. Love it. Did a little heavy wind flying. Pre-hurricane weather yesterday up here in the mountains. Love it. Although, have to admit, too much excitement wears me out.

Lipo's do well with me. I never fly them out of power. :) I don't want to show off too much. But I do want to get better and fly well for the next time I am in front of an audience at the club. The boys don't think the girl can fly:) They getting over it but it's sure a slow process. Ain't that right guys. I know some of them are lurking around.

Love it. :) See me grinning?

Back on the Slo V. The slow stick is also not a wind flyer. Those are lazy day flyers. Great to train on but if you live in a windy area not so much fun. However if and when you master your flying skills with an airplane like that in the wind, as perserverance is the key to everything, you'll be a better flyer for it. So do it even if it's stressful and experiment to test your limits. You'll get it.

stroland
08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Ive got a slow v and only got 30 flites out of the motor befor it burned up. replaced with a motor and gearbox that came out of a greatplanes yak ep great motor hardly gets warm at all