PDA

View Full Version : First brushless...Help Please.

Grasshopper
05-15-2006, 11:26 PM
In the near future, I would like to upgrade my E-Flite P-47 from the stock brushed 480 to brushless and need some suggestions for a motor. Here's what I have already and if possible, would like to buy only a motor.

It's currently on a Spektum DX-6
Using 3S 2100 mAh 15 C Common Sense Lipos
I have a Castle Creations Phoenix 25 Brushless ESC

I've been looking at the E-Flite Park 400 or Park 450

Open to suggestions here.

Thanks for the help.

Tom

Twmaster
05-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Both of those are good motoren. The 400 will fly that nicely. The 450 will be very fast.

Grasshopper
05-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the quick response Mike. I'm not looking for really fast. I want it to have plenty of power but mainly not always have to replace the stock can motor. I also need to know what other goodies I have to get. Such as:

Can I use my stock prop?
Can I keep the spinner on it?
How do you fasten the prop to the shaft?

Just details

Grasshopper
05-15-2006, 11:53 PM
And of course another question. What's the difference between the Park 400 in runner and the Park 400 out runner?

Twmaster
05-15-2006, 11:55 PM
And of course another question. What's the difference between the Park 400 in runner and the Park 400 out runner?

One's an inny, and one's an outty silly!

Grasshopper
05-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Well I feel better about that now.

Twmaster
05-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Ok, Sorry, I just had to go there. :)

Anyhoo, the inrunner motors are usually used with a gearbox, the outrunners are typically direct drive. You should be able to use the prop that came with the P-47 although since they are cheap it's not a big deal to buy something else.

As for the spinner, I don't know. E-Flite motors come with an aluminum collet type prop adapter. This is both a small spinner and is the gadget that attaches the prop to the motor. The manual that came with your P-47 should have some good details (like drawings etc) on how that stuff goes together. If not say so and I'll see if I can scan the images from my Cessna's manual.

Grasshopper
05-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Sounds like the outrunner would be the way to go. I assume a gearbox is just one more thing to make noise and wear out right?

And on the inny and outy thing, I would have felt cheated if someone didn't use that line.

Twmaster
05-16-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm hooked on outrunners. See my gallery for what happens to E-Flite's inrunner motoren. :(

And yes. Outrunners are simple and reliable.

Sky Sharkster
05-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Hi Tom, well, first off, I agree with Mike, love my outrunners, especially AXI's. A 2212/20 sounds about right for your application, will work with the CC 25a and 3s 2100 LiPos. The E-flite's are good motors also, cost less too.
Having said that, I believe the gear-drive inrunners will be around for a while. Some experts claim they are more efficent than outrunners, although I haven't seen exact figures. The question of the geardrive itself can be looked at as either good or bad, depending on the user. Yes, they generate noise, but some flyers like a little noise (see "Real Radial sound" Thread). Yes, there's a bit more maintainence. On the other hand, they're more flexible in regard to prop size; The user can vary gear ratios to suit different props, battery input voltage and model flying styles. So, to what one person is a problem (selecting gear ratios), to another is an opportunity to try more options!
Like brushed motors, I believe inrunners, geardrives and outrunners will all find a place in electric flying. Factors like cost, complexity, options, quality, flexibility, durability, and intended use all figure in.
Good Luck!
Ron

alienx
05-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Grasshopper,

That 450 is not "too" fast in my opinion. I am only on my 3rd plane (two PZ's before it). And I am very comfortable with it. The 450 comes with a 4mm prop adapter to fit that motor shaft. The stock 10x8 prop is a 1/4" hole. The output shaft end of the prop adapter is also 1/4", so you are plug and play!! I actually have to ream the props a little with my 1/4" drill bit to get them to not bind on the shaft, but that seems to be about the norm (all my APC props are the same way). That collet adapter is the bomb. I bought two set-screw types from E-flite a while back, and they suck! They are actually just as good, but the set-screw seems to make them slightly out of center on the motor shaft. So they spin with a slight wobble. Put the collet type on and that baby looks like a jet engine spooling up on at the gate. Very nice and easy set-up. You get the motor mount in the plane box too, so you just knock off around an inch of the motor stick mount. I used a cut-off wheel on my dremel. They suggested a razor saw, but I couldn't get it in the opening in the fuse. The cut-off wheel whacked through it in about 2 seconds with only a little pressure.

Report back. You'll love it!