PDA

View Full Version : Ch 47

dge@ntelos.net
08-23-2005, 05:20 AM
HAS ANYONE MADE A "CH 47" CHINOOK electric ??

I haven't either YET but I'd like to !! Help if you can.... I'm so new to this I don't know what I need to do to control the chopper (tip the rear blade to rotate and change direction and a speed control on the forward rotor for advance or back-up)

I'm an old man and I figure these should be EZ to fly, control, and build as well as slow enough for me to keep up with :o

in Viet Nam they seemed like fuzzy bears that could lift the horizon :D

First of all I can't find a scale big enough for all the equipment & radio stuff 1/74 (9" or so) is too small and I don't see any 1/33 > 1/24 type kits

email me: dge@ntelos.net thanks ;)

ozace
08-24-2005, 10:19 AM
MS composit hava a kit. Take a look at their website.

dge@ntelos.net
08-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Cool !! ... just got back from the site Thanks !! ;)

dave

daveselby
09-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi

I have built and am flying an electric Chinook at about 1/17 scale. Currently it is an airframe only but the bodyshell will be started soon - now that I have proved it will fly.

My experience may not be a lot of use as I am a scratch builder - no kits - I normally only buy radio gear. For this one I bought the 6 blades as well, 'cos they are a new size for me.

Regards

Dave

dge@ntelos.net
09-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Cool ... so it does fly !! I guess I'll continue my quest
I was born in 1948 just a decade before you and my health issues are: 5 heart attacks, MS, diabetes & a colon that's so slow it's stopped !!!

other than that my "shop" is just a shed in the back yard in an old "Ice Cream truck" (well insulated and dry)

I'm a disabled, retired, sort-of inventor with no money and a lot of ideas 70 of 'em .... from toys to good stuff {I think}

I wanta' build the CH 47 because it should be slow & Easy to control ???

I'm using a 'park-flyer' 4X prop {great pitch} and also using the blade/rotor off of the pull-toy heli that kids have >> pull the string and the blade flies up up and away

my plan is to put a speed control on the foward rotor and pivot the base of the rear rotor shaft for swinging the CH 47 around and with the speed control pitch the heli fwd or rev ???
I figured to have an over-ride voltage booster for climbing etc.

what do ya think?

love to talk to ya, thanks for the thread !!

dave

daveselby
09-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi

I don't really understand how you plan to control your heli, but for what it's worth mine is like a conventional heli with swashplates for cyclic control, collective pitch and power control.

It has 6 Eco8-size blades, an AXI 2820/10 brushless motor and Jeti 40 controller. It runs on 8 Sanyo 2400 nicads, but these will be swapped later to Li-pos to save the weight of the body shell. Current flying weight is under 2500 gms

Control is as follows :
Power and collective pitch for rise and fall
Bank sideways, both swashes tilt in appropriate direction
Tip forwards or backwards by differential collective on front and rear
Rotate/turn by differential sideways cyclic on front and rear.

Control is extremely positive as it has no flybars to damp the movements.
I have a couple of piezo gyros on the cyclic controls and one on the rudder but the latter is less necessary than on a tail rotor heli.

I am currently able to fly it around the fruit trees in my back garden, given calm conditions. In any turbulence it is a handful but we are at an early stage of trimming.

Regards

Dave

dge@ntelos.net
09-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Thanks

"Q": what's a; 6 Eco8-size blade ?

me! dge@ntelos.net (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=1651)

pkh
09-20-2005, 08:52 PM
I think you'd better do some research into heli mechanics... learn how fixed pitch and collective pitch systems work, learn about the swash types and CCPM types, gyro stabilization of yaw axis, etc.

Using a couple of plane props and moving one shaft axis for control is not likely to produce a flyable heli...

dge@ntelos.net
09-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks pkh but I don't wanta' work at it - - I just wanta' have fun .... so I'll put you on my buddy list and keep you informed as to my progress or failure (as it were)

dave

10thumbs
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I can understand controlling both swashes; but what does the "rudder control" do ? Seems the swashes would tilt in opposit directions to turn the heli.

dge@ntelos.net
02-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I don't use any "swash" stuff ...I'm just tipping the angle of the rear prop (I've got the motor assembly attached to a servo ie: motor swings from side to side tipping the rotor fwd and rev. will be achived by reducing speed of the forward rotor)
more than this it's a "Free Flight" - -outa' control- - toy :(

dave

note: it's too cold to do much now and I've just had recent heart issues so I'm just takin' it E Z

Thanks for the thread !!

darkside212
05-05-2006, 12:41 AM
www.techmodelproducts.com

The innovator of the micro tandem heli. I have one...flies great, but I lost interest

Bill G
05-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I hear they fly the best on ch47 too.:D

(gimme a break, I actually started reading the thread, thinking it was about channel 47)

darkside212
05-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I have one...its pretty cool, but I got bored with it...can't justify $100+ for the ch47 fuse

dont know how I justified $400+ for the DF tandem....:)

Adrian
11-09-2006, 02:02 PM
I will look at the MS website when I get home tonight. i've seen it on Midland heli's website, but no real details, just two part kit total over 600 Starting to get that "Really Need" feeling:D