PDA

View Full Version : Help with Dare F9 Panther Kit

mmontella
05-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Just purchased a Dare F9 Panther Kit and am looking for any build threads or building advice for this kit. Does anyone know of any?
Thanks,
Mark

Sky Sharkster
05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Mark, Welcome to the Warbird Forum! I guess there's not many of the "Panther" builders here, but there are several flying with electric ducted Fans. Those aren't the Dare kits, there's at least one fibreglass fuselage model D/F version available.
As far as the Dare kit, do you intend to make it a "Prop" jet? If so, it would need a motor equivilent to the glow size indicated, a 1/2A. That would be (roughly)a speed 400 with direct drive or maybe a 300-400 brushless.
I've built other Dare kits, they are "stick + Tissue" construction, would need some strengthening in the fuselage around the motor, perhaps sheet the fuselage with 1/16" balsa over the stringers. Also the wings might need some beef like an extra spar or "D" tube leading edge. I think if the RTF weight was under (about) 16 ounces it would be OK.
Sounds like a fun project but quite a bit of work!
Good Luck
Ron

mmontella
05-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Ron,

Thanks for the input. The kit is designed to have a prop in the nose and I will most likely build it that way. I plan on using a brushless probably an AXI 2212. Given that it is a belly lander, I am considering glassing it with 0.5 oz glass to give it a little more strength. I should be able to keep the weight down by soaking up excess epoxy during the covering process. Not too much info on the Dare Panther out there, but from what I have seen, it should look and fly nice when it is complete. Any other words of wisdome that you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Sky Sharkster
05-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi Mark, if you're going to make it a prop with no landing gear, the 'glass on the bottom sounds good. You might also add a couple of "glider skids", hard plastic tail-skid type "hard points" on the lowest point of the wing/fuse joint, this will take a beating even with a soft landing.
The early jets had a fairly long nose so when you get it framed up, be prepared to move the battery WAY back, maybe over the wing to get the C.G. right. I think if you put the battery in the conventional place (behind the motor) it will be nose-heavy.
The elevator 1/2 way up on the rudder may require a curved (think they're called "Flex-rods") pushrod or the servo near the elevator. Gliders with "T" tails sometimes use the flex tube instead of a hard pushrod, they're easy to find in hobby shops.
The AXI 2212 sounds like plenty of power, should be a hot flyer!
Good Luck!
Ron