PDA

View Full Version : wing loading question

titan74
08-23-2005, 12:04 PM
what is the relevance of wing load on the overall weight of the aircraft?..

can I replace more powerful motor to compensate increase in aircraft weight?

Hokan
08-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi Titan.Wing loading is the total wieght of your plane divided by the # of sq. inches.It just tells you how much wieght each square inch has to carry.You can compensate for eccessive wieght with a larger motor but your takeoff,landing and stall speeds will all be higher.Depending on how much addrenaline you like...thats not a bad thing !! Good luck.

titan74
08-26-2005, 07:38 AM
got it. thnx for the reply.

flypaper 2
08-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Titan:
When you put in a bigger motor many times you need a bigger batt. to feed the extra amps the bigger motor draws. Things snowball. Better to lighten up the plane if you can and maybe go to a more efficient motor of the same weight. Light flies better.

titan74
08-27-2005, 12:39 PM
flypaper2:
So this is where brushless motors and lipoly batteries comes in. powerful yet light.. right?.. just an assumption..

I am currently modifying a COX F4 phanthom.. it has 28" wingspan, 25"lenght.. i dont know the other details.. it uses ducted fan motor system its approx. 2.3" in diameter. I can no longer search any more detail about the motor.. i think this product is quite old and no longer sold in most hobby shops. It currently uses 7.2v 300mah nimh batt pack

My plan is to replace the motor with gws 2540x6 ducted fan with em300h motor and a 8.4v batt pack. hope it punches more power

titan74
08-27-2005, 12:47 PM
guys do you think its better to use the setup for the ultrafly pusher plane e.g. BAE hawk with the falcon 400 motor than using another ducted fan?

flypaper 2
08-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Titan:
looking for the power system you mentioned in the GWS Expert website but couldn't find it. Just looking for thrust, weight etc. Better power if you could use brushless and lipo 11 volt batt.

Hokan
08-28-2005, 12:05 AM
flypaper2:
So this is where brushless motors and lipoly batteries comes in. powerful yet light.. right?.. just an assumption..

I am currently modifying a COX F4 phanthom.. it has 28" wingspan, 25"lenght.. i dont know the other details.. it uses ducted fan motor system its approx. 2.3" in diameter. I can no longer search any more detail about the motor.. i think this product is quite old and no longer sold in most hobby shops. It currently uses 7.2v 300mah nimh batt pack

My plan is to replace the motor with gws 2540x6 ducted fan with em300h motor and a 8.4v batt pack. hope it punches more power
I'm not familiar with ducted fan units.Please post again when you've flown it.I'd like to hear how it works ! Hopefully some jet guys will respond ! See ya. Hokan

titan74
08-29-2005, 02:26 PM
just burned my batt pack.. will post result soon.. by the way there's thread for ducted fans, you might want to check...