PDA

View Full Version : 68" Waco SRE

tim hooper
05-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi All,

Just managed to persuade Mrs H to pose with the latest project! :)

68" span, scratchbuilt. AXI 4120/18, 14x8.5 APC and either 16xGP3300 or 5S 1P Li-po's.

Hoping for 8lb AUW.

The model was inspired by the sweet flying characteristics of the little 40" Peter Rake-designed Waco I built a couple of years ago.

tim

mmmdowning
05-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Very nice.

zappedalaskan
05-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Very nice work Tim.
It looks like a very nice balance of strength and weight. Almost a shame to cover such a nice looking airframe. Please post pics when you get it covered. The last two pictures looks like a momma Waco with a little one under her wing :)
Best regards,
Jay

tim hooper
06-03-2006, 09:49 AM
The big Waco had its maiden flight yesterday afternoon! Very sunny, but with a blustery breeze that made life very interesting for the 6 minute flight.

The rudder is fiercely powerful, and saw the model slewing back and forth across the strip on the 20 yard take-off run, but it rapidly accelerated and then headed skywards at about 30 until I could dial in a hefty dose of downtrim. Once levelled out it became obvious that the Waco really is going to fly well once I've sorted out the tail settings a tad.

The rest of the flight was spent doing 1/3 throttle passes for my camera-equipped mate, Bob, before fluking a real greaser of a landing and taxying back to the pits.

The specs;
AUW 8 lb
Wing area 950 "
Wing loading 20oz/ft
Power loading 78 watts/lb

I'm going to add a little more downthrust to the motor, reduce the elevator downtrim and tame the rudder before I fly it again.

The plan will be submitted to Traplet for publication.

tim :D

BradT
06-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Luverly model, Tim, and a nice size, too. I saw one of the small ones built from Peter's plans fly at our field today, and must say that I prefer models a little larger, like yours. I'll watch for the plans to be published.
Brad.

qban_flyer
06-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Superb!

tim hooper
06-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Thank you, lads!

The second flight took place today, and model was a lot better behaved!

I'm going to try to host the video of the maiden flight, so I'll get back....

tim :)

Bill G
07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
The big Waco had its maiden flight yesterday afternoon! Very sunny, but with a blustery breeze that made life very interesting for the 6 minute flight.

The rudder is fiercely powerful, and saw the model slewing back and forth across the strip on the 20 yard take-off run, but it rapidly accelerated and then headed skywards at about 30 until I could dial in a hefty dose of downtrim.
tim :D

...and you must have had an expression on your face just like on your avatar:eek: .
That one always gets me. You're trying to hold it down, you know better than to drop throttle with a new plane that you're unfamiliar with, and work the trim lever at the same time. Just maidened a little plane like that yesterday. A real climber.

I had the Dumas kit Waco box in my hand about 5 times at the HS yesterday. Nice plane. Almost got it, will probably happen soon.

tim hooper
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
I'll watch for the plans to be published.
Brad.

Brad,

QEFI is publishing the plans as part of the Traplet range.

They're splitting the article into a two-parter, so the actual construction details follow in the September issue.

BradT
08-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Wonderful, Tim, my local Chapters bookstore reserves a copy of Q&E FI for me every month, and calls when it comes in, so I won't miss this one!
Brad.

GTO@2
08-18-2006, 12:17 AM
That's the best bipe I have ever seen!

Don Sims
08-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Beautiful plane and model Tim!! I just can't figure out what a nice lady like the Mrs. is doing with a guy like you!! ;)

tim hooper
08-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Thank you gentlemen!

The big Waco has appeared at a couple of UK fly-ins now, and really makes an impression on people.

tim :cool:

Robbie d
09-03-2006, 04:12 AM
Tim, read the review, very nice looking, It seems people are no longer scared when it comes to the larger end of electric models.
Unfortunately they require storage space (which i'm a little short of) so my Pilot models Tiger moth stays in pieces :(

Twmaster
09-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Tim I don't know how I missed this post but all I can say is simply gorgeous! The in flight photos are quite realistic looking.

Now if I can just find QEFI here in Maryland, USA. My LHS used to carry it. They now tell me they can't get it anymore. :(

tim hooper
09-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Mike,

You can get the plans from Traplet;

https://sslrelay.com/s84068217.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154334fe7c8940e/shopdata/index.shopscript

The plans aren't listed on their site yet, but ask for MW3235 ($23.50 +p&p).

For a detailed build thread, try here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474942

Twmaster
09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Hi again Tim,

While that is magnificent I was more interested in getting the magazine regularly moreso than the plans. However I see Traplet House will happily allow me to subscribe so the next spare $70 I have will order up a subscription.

imodel
09-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Tim,

Are the plans a 2-part pullout? Or do you have to purchase the fullsize through Traplet? Wonderful design!

Cheers!

tim hooper
09-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Tim,

Are the plans a 2-part pullout? Or do you have to purchase the fullsize through Traplet? Wonderful design!

Cheers!

It's too big for a pull-out - even a two-parter!

Sorry, you'll need to buy the plan from Traplet themselves. In fact, I'm still waiting for my own copy........;)

imodel
09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
That's what I figured. One could always hope though!

Cheers!