PDA

View Full Version : New Panasonic camera for AP ?

Don E
05-19-2006, 04:58 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking for another camera for RC-AP. I currently use a Pentax optio s 3.2mp. I like it and all, but I cant help but wonder if a wide angle lens wouldn't be better. To that end, I found this. Panisonic dmc-fx01k (http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=96349&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&surfModel=DMC-FX01K&catGroupId=24999&surfCategory=Lumix%AE&displayTab=S)
Is anyone using this one yet. I'm pretty sure I want one of these.

Thoughts? Comments? Sugestions?

Thanks.
Don

Kosh
05-19-2006, 06:59 AM
That camera is pretty darn nice and I cant really see any drawbacks with it other than it might need a extra battery for a full days shooting. I also like that it takes the fairly cheap SD cards that are everywhere now.
Optical Image Stabilizer, Burst Shooting Mode, Wide: F2.8/F5.6
4:3 Aspect Ratio: 3:2 Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Aspect Ratio:
I found it for much less so hunt around and see what you can find http://www.digitalmegastore.com/product/?34937&CFID=13807716&CFTOKEN=89376764

http://www2.panasonic.com/static/Content/spacer.gif

aviatordave
05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I've been eyeing this up as well. Light and compact, but does it have IR function? I've grown to like the prism switch, but putting a servo on aint no big deal. My optio s5z takes good video on mpeg format (30 min on 512 SD card @ 640 x 480 30fps) In .mov the quality is prob higher but you cant fit as much on a card (am I right?) I think I have seen this discussed in rcg......cant remember..

Don E
05-19-2006, 04:16 PM
The cheapest I had found was 280'ish, which is still plenty. I'm just curious as to the benifits of the wide angle lens. I nearly lost a plane once trying to get an 85 acre farm in one frame. With a wide angle lens one would not have to fly as high to get the same shot? ( I don't know. I'm asking.) I do like all of the other features though.

Had'nt even thought about the video. My Pentax only does 12 or 15 frames per second so I don't really use it for that. That could be nice.

Thanks,
Don

Kosh
05-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Dave, I see nothing about IR on the camera and at 640 x 480 I get about 15 min of video on a 1 gig SD card in .mov. The quality is higher but then again it has to be converted to be of any use on the net.

Don, My friend Dan just ordered the camera and it should be here next week so we will do a few tests with it and report back. As far as the wide angle lens goes your partly correct on not having to go as high as it will cover more area. I think your looking at around 30% greater area coverage if you were the same hight as your other cam. The Motion Image (16:9 Aspect Ratio) 848 x 480 is something that really appeals to me as I convert lots of my stuff to DVD so I cant wait to try that part.
If the cam is as good as it looks on paper I will pick one up for myself after a few flight tests. Being 3 onces less than my Nikon 3700 means I can use smaller planes and lighter batteries todo the same thing.

( I was in error on the cam weight and it comes in at 4.64 ounces)

aviatordave
05-21-2006, 04:27 AM
Cool, I will look forward to see how you guys like it. please be sure to let us know.

thanks, Dave

Don E
05-21-2006, 05:38 AM
Don, My friend Dan just ordered the camera and it should be here next week so we will do a few tests with it and report back...snip...
If the cam is as good as it looks on paper I will pick one up for myself after a few flight tests.
Wow! I need better friends!:D Thats cool if you get to fly it before you buy it. I've allready convinced myself I "need" one of these. I think I'm still trying to justify the cost to myself... and to my most amazing and lovely wife. ( who sometimes actually does read some of my posts) :D With any luck, I'll be picking one up too. Please do let us know how the flight tests go.

Countin' Pennies

Don

Kosh
05-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Ok, Dan got the camera today and its VERY nice. Tried just about everything but fly it today. We even tried to take some bad pics but the Optical Image Stabilizer did its job and they all turned out well. Video was as good if not better than my Nikon and 16:9 was pretty cool on the big screen. Did some closeup macro of flowers and focus, colors where right on the money. It has a programmable burst mode that should do great for AP and will also shoot continues at one per second. Theres no viewfinder but has a sharp display screen that better than most I have seen. There are just so many options to play with it will take a few weeks to try everything. I just cant think of any real faults that would keep me from buying this so I will order one this week. Sorry I cant share and photos or video at the moment but I'm sure that will happen soon enough. I would give the camera a 8 and its only because it lacks viewfinder and is a little pricey otherwise would rate higher :)

Kosh
05-27-2006, 02:38 AM
I was offered a extended warranty that mostly I pass up but for $39 and 2 years no matter what happens its covered now. After reading the disclaimers it says nothing about crashing to earth in a RC plane.:eek:
They will replace or repair (Whats Left) at no further charge. I have already had one camera die from a 2 foot impact off the couch so it seems like a no brainier to me. Knowing that your camera is covered no matter what poor choices I put it in means I can get shots I wouldn't risk otherwise and that open a whole new world to me.

Don E
05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Sweet... I also usually pass on warranties. However, knowing how the camera will be used... Good call, I'd say.

Don

aviatordave
05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I was offered a extended warranty that mostly I pass up but for $39 and 2 years no matter what happens its covered now. After reading the disclaimers it says nothing about crashing to earth in a RC plane.:eek:
They will replace or repair (Whats Left) at no further charge. I have already had one camera die from a 2 foot impact off the couch so it seems like a no brainier to me. Knowing that your camera is covered no matter what poor choices I put it in means I can get shots I wouldn't risk otherwise and that open a whole new world to me.

Hey Kosh....I was reading up on that warranty - is it just for manufacturer defects? or does it include the 'oops I dropped it' syndrome? If you have more detailed info, please post.

thanks - Dave

Kosh
05-31-2006, 05:27 AM
Dave, There are 3 different warrentys you can get. I picked the last option with gives 2 years no matter what happens.