PDA

View Full Version : Estarter Low wing!

darkside212
05-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey all,
here's my latest creation:
a low wing estarter!
I acquired a fuselage from TWmaster, and I wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it...well after about 30 secs of looking at my "parts lot" I saw my old life foam airforce glider that I had converted to an edf rc...it was underpowered so I decided to put the wings to good use!

all in all it took me about 2hrs to get it RTF mostly because the wings were just about ready to attach to the fuse.

I'm still going to paint it but I wanted to see how it flew before hand.
the contros are:
elevon
rudder

powered by the infamous TP2410-12s and a 9070 gws prop

took it out today and it flies like a dream! not aerobatic but it flies really nice.

I originally had it setup with tri landing gear w/steerable nose wheel, but the wire I used wasn't sturdy enough (I switched it to tail dragger)

darkside212
05-19-2006, 08:41 PM
btw I have the cowl....but I didnt put it on

firemanbill
05-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Now that's creativity! Nice Job Darkside. What are you going to do to the top of the fuse where the old wing hole is?

qban_flyer
05-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Say Paul,

Godd conversion you have there. Love those wheels. Should be able to ROG from tall grass easily! :eek:

Are you gonna put a camera on the opening on top? Great place for one up there.

I have an E-Starter (non started yet) and one of those jet like thingys with tail feathers and everything else I may need.

I just may put the infamous TP2410-12s I have coming from you just to have something similar. :D

Your creation sorta reminds me of a "Sorta 747" airliner. :eek: Hey all,
a low wing estarter!
I acquired a fuselage from TWmaster, and I wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it...well after about 30 secs of looking at my "parts lot" I saw my old life foam airforce glider that I had converted to an edf rc...it was underpowered so I decided to put the wings to good use!

all in all it took me about 2hrs to get it RTF mostly because the wings were just about ready to attach to the fuse.

the contros are:
elevon
rudder

powered by the infamous TP2410-12s and a 9070 gws prop

took it out today and it flies like a dream! not aerobatic but it flies really nice.

I originally had it setup with tri landing gear w/steerable nose wheel, but the wire I used wasn't sturdy enough (I switched it to tail dragger)

darkside212
05-19-2006, 09:24 PM
I made a cover out of blucor.....I haven't attached it yet...I just wanted to fly it :)

handles wind pretty good, but I had one scary moment where a tail wind wasn't helping me get out of a bank ....I think I'll have to fly it under 15 mph gusts

firemanbill
05-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Qbans got a good idea! perfect place for a camera. Of course you'd have to get your timing down. loop, snap, loop, snap...:D

Seriously though nice job, Glad it flies good for ya!

darkside212
05-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks!

darkside212
05-19-2006, 10:24 PM
I might put real ailerons on it...

qban_flyer
05-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Ailerons will definitely do the trick. :D

Twmaster
05-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Now that's just sick. I love it! :D

zappedalaskan
05-20-2006, 12:51 AM
Hi Paul,
Very creative! I have to agree with Bert, That hole is begging for a camera :) If you had a bunch of little wheels, you could make it look like a C-5 Galaxy. You might consider making up a few stick boy planes and selling a radio ready brushless combo. I'd buy one! I don't have any 1/4" foam. I have a sheet of 2 inch blu-core and some depron scraps. I have always flown helicopters due to the lack of a flying field. I have a few big glow planes, but the only grass flying field is 15 miles from here. I am disovering that I can fly a small ep plane in the same field next to my house that I fly heli's in. Long story short, I am becoming a foam fan. I seen the neighbor kid flying a slow stik up and down the street and around the yard. My three year old thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. She is getting big enough and is wanting to watch me fly, and the only heli I let her anywhere near is the blade cx. (She is convinced that it is my pet dragonfly) Anyway, just a thought.. Look how popular the SS is. If you could sell a cheap combo that someone could drop an rx in an go fly it would sell IMO (I'd have one in my next order) :)
I have one question for you guys.. Would a Formosa be a good foamy aerobatic trainer? If not, what would be? Sorry for the long post, and jumping three topics. But you guys are the ones to ask.
Thank you kindly,
Jay

qban_flyer
05-20-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi Paul,
Very creative! I have to agree with Bert, That hole is begging for a camera :) If you had a bunch of little wheels, you could make it look like a C-5 Galaxy. You might consider making up a few stick boy planes and selling a radio ready brushless combo. I'd buy one! I don't have any 1/4" foam. I have a sheet of 2 inch blu-core and some depron scraps. I have always flown helicopters due to the lack of a flying field. I have a few big glow planes, but the only grass flying field is 15 miles from here. I am disovering that I can fly a small ep plane in the same field next to my house that I fly heli's in. Long story short, I am becoming a foam fan. I seen the neighbor kid flying a slow stik up and down the street and around the yard. My three year old thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. She is getting big enough and is wanting to watch me fly, and the only heli I let her anywhere near is the blade cx. (She is convinced that it is my pet dragonfly) Anyway, just a thought.. Look how popular the SS is. If you could sell a cheap combo that someone could drop an rx in an go fly it would sell IMO (I'd have one in my next order) :)
I have one question for you guys.. Would a Formosa be a good foamy aerobatic trainer? If not, what would be? Sorry for the long post, and jumping three topics. But you guys are the ones to ask.
Thank you kindly,
Jay It is! :p

zappedalaskan
05-20-2006, 01:18 AM
I have a SS on my list, as well as a beaver. There is a pond right next to my house. I was wondering about a Formosa for an aerobatic trainer?
Thank's :)
Jay

darkside212
05-20-2006, 01:36 AM
I think it is a fun plane....flies nice--more like a real plane

As far as the formosa: I heard it wasn't that great...it might be okay with a brushless setup, but stock it is less than par.

zappedalaskan
05-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Thank you kindly for the input guys.. What is a good aerobatic foamy to learn on. I don't need a 3D plane with to much control surface, just a trainer..
Regards,
Jay

darkside212
05-20-2006, 03:10 AM
I got a low wing estarter....$200 shipped....JK

do not underestimate the skyscooter (might be space scooter now)...has ailerons and elevator...great plane ...it was my first

Doppelganger
05-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Jay, the Formosa is a great plane for aerobatics. I owned two of them. A GWS receiver killed the first one. I killed the second one with dumb thumbs. It has a very large following. I'd like to get another. It is superb for pattern flying. Just make sure you get the Formosa II. BTW Jay, did you make a list yet?

Steve

darkside212
05-20-2006, 04:19 AM
it was the original that I was talking about...I have no input on the F2:)

darkside212
05-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Well I put ailerons on it...but they are too small
I'll have to make larger ones....I'll have to program some flap mixing in to :)

qban_flyer
05-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Well I put ailerons on it...but they are too small
I'll have to make larger ones....I'll have to program some flap mixing in to :)FLAPS? What for? STOL purposes? :D

darkside212
05-23-2006, 04:37 AM
because I'm a dork and have too much free time....:)

darkside212
05-23-2006, 04:38 AM
and because I have all these knobs, dials, and switches..that I never use

qban_flyer
05-23-2006, 04:41 AM
I used to that, then I forgot what switch or knob was supposed to do what! :o

When I began to write everything down I gave up on fancy mixes, except those needed for 3D flight. :eek:

BTW, I still think that LWES (low wing e-starter) looks like a 747. :p

Petrik59
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey all,
a low wing estarter!

the contros are:
elevon
rudder