PDA

View Full Version : Mick Reeves Hurricane

warbird@home
05-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi gentlemen, I have built an 80" Hurricane, fitting a 20cc OS four stroke !! It has never flown. It is a good build and I have spent a lot of time with it, detailing it, retracts, pilot, cockpit ........ Now, all my other scale models are electrically powered and range from speed 400 size to AXI/ MEGA etc speed 600 size.. So I have absolutely NO experience with BIG SINGLES.

The million dollar question !! would it be feasable to convert the Hurricane to electric?..(it has not flown so is not covered in grease and muck ! ), has anyone attempted this? and if so, what motor/prop, cells would you advise................

Maybe I could sell the four stroke to off set the price....its only just run in on the bench !!!

A coupla shots during the build to give you some idea.......

Oh and landing lights and sound wou;d be nice !!!! :D :D

Thanks in advance

and happy landings to all........

modeldesigns
05-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi Warbird,

Nice looking Hurricane. I have finshed and now flying an E converted 81" Hanger 9 Thunderbolt, which is my first experience of a large electric single too.

I am very, very pleased with it and i would suspect that similar hardware would give an equally good performance in your Hurricane if you are a similar weight:

Hanger 9 81" P-47 Thunderbolt
22lb flying weight
Hacker A60-L 18 turn Outrunner motor
Thunder Power 14S3P LiPo cells
22" x 10" APC E prop
6300 rpm @ 61A, 2900W

The model carries 1-1/4lb of engine sound smulation hardaware.

Here is a link to a short video of the model flying. It was the first flight with sound 'on' but one speaker failed into the flight and the other landed damaged. I have since replaced them and following reducing the volume, all is fine...so far!

http://media.putfile.com/Pete-Nicholsons-1st-test-flight-of-his-Hangar-9-Electrified-P-47-Thunderbolt

There is a thread on EZone covering the conversion with plenty of pics and details:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499371

Hope this helps,

Pete.

warbird@home
05-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Warbird,

Nice looking Hurricane. I have finshed and now flying an E converted 81" Hanger 9 Thunderbolt, which is my first experience of a large electric single too.

I am very, very pleased with it and i would suspect that similar hardware would give an equally good performance in your Hurricane if you are a similar weight:

Hanger 9 81" P-47 Thunderbolt
22lb flying weight
Hacker A60-L 18 turn Outrunner motor
Thunder Power 14S3P LiPo cells
22" x 10" APC E prop
6300 rpm @ 61A, 2900W

The model carries 1-1/4lb of engine sound smulation hardaware.

Here is a link to a short video of the model flying. It was the first flight with sound 'on' but one speaker failed into the flight and the other landed damaged. I have since replaced them and following reducing the volume, all is fine...so far!

http://media.putfile.com/Pete-Nicholsons-1st-test-flight-of-his-Hangar-9-Electrified-P-47-Thunderbolt

There is a thread on EZone covering the conversion with plenty of pics and details:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499371

Hope this helps,

Pete.

Thanks for the heads up Pete......I have spoken to you before, again years ago !! still have the complete set of modeldesigns....great kits...my Hurricane is still flying on a speed 600 bog standard, 8 x 4 prop and 8 x 3600 NiMh's after three years, remember this???? (see attachement)

oh what fun we had on 7 cells :D
keep up the good work, you guys are the only reason I sometimes regret coming to live in Holland....!! :)

Just watched the video....lovely Jug !! ...and fine flying !! ...the sound thing is the way to go for sure.........looking forward to the rapid low fly by with two Merlins on the Mossie ! ........

All I have to do is make the motors on my Lanc start up in the proper sequence and not all together :-)

modeldesigns
05-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Warbird,

LOL, halcyon days indeed!

I would imagine it's a Tx mixing/programming problem that prevents twins (or more) being capable of being started sound and motion wise individually. With a large enough airframe and enough channels (!) it would be possible by simply duplicating the sound hardware for each of the motors...and i know someone will achieve that in the not so distant future!

Good luck with your Hurri,

Pete.

Grasshopper
05-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Hey Modeldesigns,

Awesome P-47 and the sound is unreal. Gotta love the scale roll out and take off instead of the screaming 15 foot take off.

Great Job!

Tom

CarreraGTSCS
05-22-2006, 02:50 AM
Like the Hurricane. Keep us posted on your conversion. Will be a spectacular sight.
Mike

warbird@home
05-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Like the Hurricane. Keep us posted on your conversion. Will be a spectacular sight.
Mike

Thanks for the kind word.....I will have to sell the fourstroke and some stuff.....I have the feeling that this will NOT be a cheap conversion.....but worth it....I have also been following the 'sound' simulation thread with a lot of interest....the thought of the sound of a dirty great 12 cylinder Merlin beating up the airfiled makes me shiver ! The Hurricane is actually a VERY light airframe....as the back end is scale with stringers and tissue covering !!!!!!!....anyway we'll see how it goes..........I have a Flying Styro Me262, a Rittinger me 262 and Steve Niel F104 and a 49" Mk 22 Spit to finish first.......but I will be planning...and dreaming !!

happy landings