PDA

View Full Version : Flap mixes

Major Bladebraker
05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Does anyone use the elev-flap mix with a flap mix in addition on their single-wing shock flyers? Thanks!

Major Bladebraker
05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Oops! I guess iIdidn't get any responses because maybe my question didn't make sense? Let me try again: 1) does anyone use the flap mix on their programmable transmitters with their shockflyers (single wing)? 2) does anyone use the elevator-flap mix in addition (elevator coordinated with flaps). It seems to me that flying around with say 10% down flaps would trap some air under the flat wing and make it a little more stable. Thanks!!:D

Twmaster
05-23-2006, 03:35 AM
This question might get more looks/replies if you post to the 3D section.

darkside212
05-23-2006, 04:36 AM
try it and let us know.....

Azarr
05-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Does anyone use the elev-flap mix with a flap mix in addition on their single-wing shock flyers? Thanks!

I do it quite often on larger foamies. In my opinion, on the shock flyers, the additional aileron servo and linkage would add too much weight.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com (http://www.ecubedrc.com)

darkside212
05-23-2006, 04:15 PM
you're probably right Azarr

Major Bladebraker
06-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Sorry to take so long to respond!! Things have been busy and it took a while to finish the plane. I'm happy to report that the flaperon mix works extremely well on my 40" shockflyer! A constant 10% flap makes the plane quite docile especially in landings during which it glides with power off for quite some time (well, maybe 4-5 seconds). I've got two 3.6 gram servos on the wings and this works well. I made the plane a little heavy to withstand crashes (EPP motor mount, fiberglass tape on the fuse): 18 ozs but this does not seem to deter performance much (I use it strictly as a sport plane as I have no clue how to hover nor would I try it with this airplane). Anyway, just wanted to get back to folks in case they were still curious!

midoco
06-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Flaps... This will make it float, but may induce a pitching moment. It would probably be best to also mix in about 4% down elevator with down flaps. However; This will make it change trim with airspeed. If it's trimmed for slow speed and you accelerate with the flaps down it will probably pitch down. The other side of the coin is raising your flaps (spoilers). It will make your plane rock solid in harriers/elevators.

Mixing... Up elevator mixed to down flaps and down elevator mixed to up flaps will tighten your loops considerable... looks really cool, but it will not glide worth a darn. Hovering might be easier, but that varies from plane to plane. I find that knife edge is a bit easier as well. Don't attempt a low tail slide with this mix... bad things. It also screws up snap rolls most of the time.

Up elevator/up flaps yields rock steady harriers/elevators and wicked waterfalls. Don't attempt a low tail slide with this mix... bad things. It also screws up snap rolls most of the time.

Hope this helps,
Mike

darkside212
06-16-2006, 04:03 PM
I just put flaps on my lifefoam glider conversion. Man is it cool! really makes it float!

timocharis
06-16-2006, 05:55 PM
I've got a superstar with two lightweight aileron servos. Have flaperons and elevator mix.

Frankly, I don't often use it, and usually fly the plane with the flaps/mixing off. The flaps make it unstable and less neutral, so I almost never use them. The flaperons are kind of fun for tight inside/outside maneuvers, but not really worth it.

I'm thinking of pulling the servos (they're really nice) for other duties and dropping in a single.

Dave

redgiki
06-18-2006, 08:11 AM
On my Great Planes Patriot 40 (glow, sorry if it's off-topic), flaperons don't change my neutral flight in the slightest. They slow it down considerably, however, and dramatically reduce my aileron sensitivity. So much so that I'm thinking of finding a way to tie in my amount of aileron throw with my flaps: the more flap, the more aileron throw.

It really helps me slow her down for a landing, though. The bird's energy retention is unreal, even with flaps down.

On my ParkZone Typhoon, I have my flaperons trimmed to be used as either flaps or spoilers. What's interesting about this bird is that the flaps/spoilers cause the plane to respond in the opposite direction from what you'd expect: spoilers make it pitch nose-up, while flaps make it pitch nose-down. Flaps really, really don't help landing speed at all on that bird, either, they just make her fly sluggishly and prone to tip-stalls.

I think the key on flap mixes is to realize that every plane handles it differently, and you're just going to have to experiment to find what best suits your bird.

darkside212
06-20-2006, 02:08 AM
I agree....I was getting tip stalls on my glider conversion when I was fiddling with the CG..... but when it was nose heavy it flew nicely with them