PDA

View Full Version : 157" Sailplane

Big Oakden
05-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Anyone on Wattflyer purchase and build this plane yet (who is not on RCU?)

Am looking to find other people who have this bird and their experiences with it.

Mine is almost ready to go (waiting on servos from Tower Hobbies)

Decided to power mine with PJS5000 outrunner x 17x12 folding prop x 90 ESC x 7s1p 3700mah PolyRC battery pac (4s +3s) (all from visionhobbies.com) (thery're here in Phoenix, and very helpful in setting me up with this system)

Jason T
05-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Do you have in photos of this sailplane? Sounds awesome.

Big Oakden
05-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Jason,

go to RCUniverse, airplanes, gliders/sailplanes, and look for 157" sailplane,
There are about 190 posts on the plane.
On page 8 are the pics from my plane showing the powerplant set up , and approximate balance locations of where all materials will sit when we power her up.

if you go to ebay, and type in 157" sailplane you will gt a few items that pop up there also.

WIll post more here as I get her finished.

Big Oakden
05-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Jason,

Here's some pics of the nose portion of the plane.

Not a small outrunner, but should take me to the skies in under 10 seconds.

Top row second and third shows (tentatively) where battery packs will go. ESC to the front of the Lipo's.
#4 shows Hi power rare earth magnets to hold wing on the wing rod.
I don't think I will generate enough force to pull the wing away from the 10mm main rod, or the 3mm alignment rods front and back.

USing same magnets to hold the back of the canopy in place, and will devise a mount for the front to hold it down. may use a clip type mount with magnets to hold it tight.

Jason T
05-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Looks like a nice model. Can't wait to hear the flight report.

Big Oakden
06-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Well, Two weeks ago we went to fly it.
Brought to full power on the bench. (Could've started a tornado with the wind off of the prop).

So attach the wings, final balancing done, TIME TO FLY !!!!!!!

my thrower walks onto the runway, we bring up the power from 1/4 to one half, he starts to walk, I take it to 3/4 throttle, he cocks his arm to throw, I go to full power, his arm moves forward. POP/FIZZ?POOF!!!!!
ESC died right there on the spot, just as he was ready to launch it.

I am NOT a happy camper. We get back to the shop to test the ESC, nuthin, not even a hello chirp, just a red light...... :-(

So we tried to order another one, and they never returned our calls (for a week) So we tried another Company, "yes we sent it" meant nothing. (same as the first),they both said we will send it right out. Nothing for a week, so we lost last weekend for the chance to fly her.

In Steps Hurricane Motors/ESC. They actually shipped the ESC !!!!
So we planned on taking it with us to Golden for the Electric fun fly there this weekend.

Ran out of room, and had to leave it behind. Double :-( :-(!!!!

Oh well, there is always next weekend.

Will post pics and video after next saturday.

Dave

Big Oakden
02-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I just had my maiden voyage of this Sailplane on Friday afternoon.

After taking about 9 months to get to the point of being able to fly her (been way to busy to build the "Cart" for taking off)

There is a long (13 page) post on RCU about this Glider, so I will not try to revamp everything here.

I however will explain power system and where to see a video of the maiden takeoff.

Power system (purchased from Vision Hobbies):
PJS-5000 Motor (which will fly a 5kg (12#) plane aerobatically)
MGM 90 Expert ESC
4s & 3s 3700mah Lipo run in series.

All up weight of 10.5# with this power set up.

First "cart launch" was a little scary as it took 10 clicks of UP trim to setle her down to level flight.

Servos: Mount the Rudder behind the cockpit area, and move the elevator servo to the tail (had to as there was too much flex in the goldenrod when mounted behind the cockpit).

I also installed belly wheels in the belly, and in the bump at the tail.

If you want a LARGE electric sailplane, this one isn't bad for the money I spent off of E-Bay. ($165 landed I think) However I did go thru and make some changes to the way things were set up.

Overall, I am quite happy with the plane to this point, although the spoilers did not seem to be very effective in slowing her down. So you may elect to just seal them over with mono/ultra coat, rather than spend the $40.00 in servos that I did.

Rich at Vision posted the video saturday.

You can find it at visionhobbies.com, on the 3rd page of showcase/videos.

if anyone has any questions, e-mail me and I will be happy to answer them.

Big Oakden
02-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Here's the pics of the Outrunners I made thursday night.