PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hare 28% Extra 300 LX to Electric

Tweet
08-24-2005, 04:31 AM
Thought I would take the plunge into a large scale electric. At this point I think you choose your airplane with an eye toward electric power, but that does not have to be the primary consideration. I just like the Wild Hare 28% airplanes. Good size for my transportation system (a Honda Pilot).

I've been into RC airplanes for about two years. Started with glow and thought about gas, but then got hooked on electric and haven't looked back.

I ordered the airplane today, but thought I would document my thoughts and process in this thread.

First of all hats off to those who have gone before, especially Greg Covey and his article on the 1/3 scale H9. I am going to use the same setup as he did...however my airplane will be a little lighter and I hope I won't have to push it quite as hard. Here are the basics:

Airplane--Wild Hare Extra 300LX
84" Wingspan
76" Length
Wing area 1360 square inches (very generous)
Flying weight--I estimate about 16 lbs for my setup

Power System
Motor AXI 5330/18
Prop APCE 20x10
ESC Castle Creations Phoenix 110HV
Batteries 2 Thunderpower 5S4P 8000 in series

Performance should be unlimited vertical and will hover, but not a strong pull out of the hover 3D machine. Not my bag anyway.

Accessories
Hitec 5945s for elevator and ailerons and JR 8611 for rudder

Futabe 8 channel PCM receiver (I have a Futabe 9CAP transmitter)

Ordered composite gear and wing tube, which together will save about one pound

Servo power--may go with the FMA regulator Greg used in the 33% Edge. I've been using the cheaper Ultimate BECs on smaller airplanes, but am open to opinions. Nothing else will be cheap on this airplane is my thought.

For charging I have an Astro 109. Will probably get another.

I have a Medusa power analyzer and also a cell balancer from Thunderpower.

Well, that's it for now. I have a ton of stuff on order and as it comes in I will update this thread. My LHS owner CANNOT understand why I would electrify a 28% bird, bet he is happy to sell me stuff to do it.

Mike Parsons
08-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Subscribing :)

Rugar
08-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Subscribing :)

Me too! :D

fdix
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Wow this sounds interesting ;)

Joacim
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi!
I have with a friend converted the 28% Wild Extra Special, wondefull plane, flyes great!!!

Curent setup is
Actro 60-175
26x15" APCE (Will change to TASA then Mejzlik)
Jeti advance 90
10s2p Polyquest 8000

Next i will try it with 25x12" with 12s Lipo.

feathermerchant
10-12-2005, 04:20 PM
What ever happened to this conversion?

Tweet
10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi Feathermerchant,

Still planning on doing it and have been accumulating parts. The motor and Phoenix 110HV are in. I got a motor mount from Esprit models. I have a field charging setup that will work for it. Got the CF wing tube.

Last piece to get is a way to power the Rx and was originally planning to use a UBEC but after thinking about it I think I will use a more traditional setup (separate Lipoly with regulator).

Anyway, am keen to get started, but am just finishing up an H9 Funtana 90.

feathermerchant
10-12-2005, 10:50 PM
I've been flying my 72" Wildhare Edge 540 using an HV UBEC and some huge digital servos. No problem and I don't have to charge any more batteries. Two batteries to charge per flight is enough for me.

Tweet
10-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Do you use a single UBEC? I have been using them on smaller models with good results so far. Just wondering which is more reliable: an old fashioned NiMh battery or a UBEC or is it a wash?

feathermerchant
10-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Yup single HV UBEC. After talking to Jeff who makes them I think they are as good as a flight pack. He does make a redundant system of 2 UBEC's if you're concerned. Keep in mind thet Greg Covey works for FMA so expect him to promote their products. I don't work for anybody in the hobby buisness. Closest I have come is beta testing a controller for Castle.
I'm getting more comfortable with my Edge. It does take a large field.
Looking forward to seeing your conversion.

Tweet
10-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Probably can get away with the single UBEC as my guess is this will be one of the more reliable components on the airplane. If it is as reliable as a battery pack then that seals the deal. I would probably only use a single battery pack on this airplane (just pay attention to it).

Still pretty new to RC (two years) but it does seem that no matter what precautions you take something will eventually get your airplane if you fly it enough. I lost an Accord R&R last weekend through what I think was an interference hit (I fly all PCM receivers and it went fail safe). This on an airplane I had more than 20 hours on without a hitch. Who know?

I really thought about the 120 Edge, but after seeing Greg's luck with the 33% Edge I decided a similar system could handle a 28% Wild Hare no problem.

Yes, Greg is in marketing/sales for FMA and is very up front about it. I very much appreciate his trailblazing and the personal assistance he has afforded. Heck, I am in business development at my company. I took a close look at the FMA stuff and decided it wasn't exactly what I was looking for on this airplane. I will keep an eye on their Skyvolt system though.

I am wrapping up my Funtana 90 and will then start work on the WH Extra. I figured the Funtana 90 would be a good step. The most advanced airplane I have flown to date would have to be a Sig Four Star 60 using a Saito 100. I suppose the Accord R&R was roughly equivalent to the Four Star. I have a ton of stick time on these and other smaller electrics, but realize there will be a learning curve with the larger airplanes.