PDA

View Full Version : Yakovlev Yak-9D Warbird Kits.com SP-400

St. Martin
08-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Greetings all:)

I'm happy to join this new forum and share my builds with you. This is a beta build for Tom Jacoby of Warbird Kits. http://www.warbirdkits.com/ He has several "out of the norm" SP-400 sized warbirds. I have been involved with Tom on a non-professional basis. He trusts my skills and sends me kits to build and fly. If any problems arise, they are immediately remedied before release.

Instead of presenting a build thread, I will just show a segment of photos for the general idea of the kit.

Specifications:

WS 31.5"
LOA 25.5
WA 151 sq

Lazer cut parts, plans, instruction manual, waterslide decals.(must be clearcoated.

Power SP-400 6v>8cells, SP-400 7.2V>3s lipo, or brushless equivelent.

I rarely use brushed mtrs. But because of the small size of the plane, I elected to use a 7.2V SP-400 and a 3s lipo. The plane has a long nose in front of the CG. Using one of my Mega 16/15/X mtrs would add an extra ounce to the front of the plane. At present I am ready to paint the aircraft in the scheme of "White 22".

Steve

St. Martin
08-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Any questions regarding kit availability/construction can be had by contacting Tom Jacoby at his site. I can be approached on this thread or by PM for any questions regarding construction.

Steve

St. Martin
08-24-2005, 07:30 AM
This plane has been a very easy build. The only "hard part is the fillet, if you are new to building them. It could be simplified by tapering the front of the fillet to zero dimension at the LE of the wing.

I glassed the fuse and used silkspan and lacquer on the wing and tail. The fillets are pink foam and covered in silkspan and aliphatic resin.

Please excuse my messy shop room. Just not time to clean it yet. Not missing anything..:rolleyes: I have many photos of the build, so anyone needing info, I can substantiate with a pic. Thank You for viewing!

Steve

St. Martin
08-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Other than the exaust, servo's, etc..she is complete. Very good wt so far. I suspect around 15-16 oz AUW. I work nites, so I cannot finish her till next monday eve. 4 nite on, three nites off.

Steve

easytiger
10-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Always nice work, St. Martin.

St. Martin
10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi Curtis! It has about a doz flights on her. She is very fast, but slows down adequetly for landing. Here's a few poor pics from cam with no zoom.

Steve

easytiger
10-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Even WITH a zoom, it's hard to get good inflight pics of a small model...

Still, looks good.

Are you going to do his F3F, too? Looks pretty nice...

St. Martin
10-10-2005, 09:46 AM
No I don't think so. I have too much to do at the moment.

Steve

easytiger
10-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Yup. Me too. Have it filed away as a "someday" thing.

watt_the?!
10-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Other than the exaust, servo's, etc..she is complete. Very good wt so far. I suspect around 15-16 oz AUW. I work nites, so I cannot finish her till next monday eve. 4 nite on, three nites off.

Steve

very, very nice.

that firefly, did that come out as a counter rotating prop option also? ive got a CR prop here that needs a home.

Tim.

TomJacoby
10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
very, very nice.

that firefly, did that come out as a counter rotating prop option also? ive got a CR prop here that needs a home.

Tim.

The most comprehensive Firefly history that I've found is the Warpaint Series #28, and I couldn't find any mention of a counter-rotating prop in it.

How about a Westland Wyvern?

-t