PDA

View Full Version : Warp 4 Motors

Doppelganger
08-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Anyone know if, and where Warp motor shafts can be replaced? I have two bent shafts and really don't want to purchase two new motors.:(
TIA

Steve

thejc
08-24-2005, 06:36 PM
find a friend with a small drill chuck on an arbor. chuck the motor shaft on it , hold the motor securly and turn the shaft, the lenght of the arbor will exagerate the bend. pull the arbor towards the center .normally takes 3-4 pulls to get it usable. j c smith 3418-5 delta ohio 43515

Doppelganger
08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with equipment like that. Thanks for the suggestion though.:) Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Steve

Walt Thyng
08-25-2005, 01:47 PM
I straightened a Speed 400 shaft once by putting it in my drill press. I rigged a pointer (ersatz dial indicator) and turned the chuck manually. It took severals pulls on the case, then I ran the drill up to spped to see how close I was. Used the motor until the brushes wore out after that (at least a hundred flights)
WT

Doppelganger
09-21-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks Doc.:)

zoom to doom
10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Bent the shaft last weekend appox 3mm! I tried bending the shaft by holding the motor in a vice and gripping the bent shaft in a old three jaw chuck I had lying around. This was working out fine untill the shaft broke.
It would appear that the shafts are too hard and brittle.
I purchased a length of 3mm silver tool steel from our local Engineering supplier. For $4.40 I recieved one meter of steel enough to replace many bent shafts in the future.

thejc
10-27-2005, 05:57 PM
how did you get the rotor off the shaft? how tight was it on? press fit-locktight/

zoom to doom
10-31-2005, 07:39 AM
I placed the rotor in a vice and pressed the shaft out useing a suitable socket as a spacer, it has to be deep enough to accept the shaft.
The shaft seems to be a tight interference fit. To help matters I also sprayed WD40 lube before pressing shaft out. This worked for me however when I did this before with a "Mamba" motor the magnet broke ! Bugger!!
Good luck