PDA

View Full Version : Repairing wires on Eflite 480

dopey190
05-07-2013, 11:48 PM
The shaft on my 480 was loose, after tightening the screws, I noticed I had pulled the middle wire out. How do I take the magnets off so I can solder the dam wire back on? It was easy to remove the shaft and bell housing, but the magnets seem like they are in there pretty good. :confused:

flydiver
05-08-2013, 12:12 AM
480 what?
Inrunner, outrunner, brushed, brand?

dopey190
05-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Outrunner Eflite 480 brushless

kyleservicetech
05-08-2013, 12:54 AM
The shaft on my 480 was loose, after tightening the screws, I noticed I had pulled the middle wire out. How do I take the magnets off so I can solder the dam wire back on? It was easy to remove the shaft and bell housing, but the magnets seem like they are in there pretty good. :confused:

Also confused. If you've removed the bell housing, those magnets should be glued to that bell housing.

A photo would be worth 1000 words. Just a caution, trying to solder magnet wire can be a hassle, since these motors often use multiple strands, and each one must be stripped of the insulating varnish before soldering.

dopey190
05-08-2013, 12:58 AM
168765Took the shaft out and the front that spins, whats left is the magnets and the back of the motor where the mount attaches, underneath all of this is where the wires come out. I noticed the magnet wires you mention. I have a new motor on the way, but I dont want to throw this out. The wires are covered by the back of the houing and the only way to get in there is to take the magnets out. Where its circled I cant get in there to fix it.

flydiver
05-08-2013, 01:15 AM
You have 2 halves. The rotating part houses the magnets. That has nothing to do with the wire.
If you have the shaft out (which was not necessary), grab the back half that doesn't rotate (DON'T pull the wires!!) and pulll......HARD. Those magnets are STRONG and want to hold the stator (inside part with the wires) very firmly.

Look at this:
Outrunner Disassembly and Stripping (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823636)

As Denny said, stripping, cleaning, soldering, and re-insulating a bunch of fine wires is not for the meek. Eflite is pretty nasty that way.

dopey190
05-08-2013, 01:19 AM
Ok ill try it. I didnt know if anything was holdint the magnets on the back half. I had pulled the shaft out cause it was loose, and I was curious in case I had to replace it. Thanks

kyleservicetech
05-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Ok ill try it. I didnt know if anything was holdint the magnets on the back half. I had pulled the shaft out cause it was loose, and I was curious in case I had to replace it. Thanks

Don't know about your motor, but the motors I've seen those electromagnets with the magnet wire on them are pressed onto the bearing housing and back plate. It don't come apart.

Even if it did, if your lead wire broke off flush with the magnet coils, you are pretty much :censor:. Yeah, I've tried to fix coils like this in the past. Doing it is a real lesson in frustration. And that was with coils with one lead, not those multiple leads commonly used in our brushless motors.

dopey190
05-08-2013, 03:26 AM
Well I went ahead and ordered another motor. As from whats been said today, it doesnt look like it will be worth a try. Lesson learned. Thank you guys.