PDA

View Full Version : Tower hobbys trainer 40

teambreen
05-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Hi Guys
First off I hope this is the right place to put this also sorry about my spelling.
this past weekend I test flew a Tower hobbies trainer 40 that a Friend of mine converted over to electric and it really flew Great so I wanted to share his set up .
Motor AXI 2826/10
Prop APC 13x6.5
Battery 4440 3cell ( I do not remember the manufacture sorry )
speed control 45 amp again I can't remember who made it but if any one is interested I can find out.
we put a watt meeter on it and it is pulling 41 amps and producing 451 watts of power.
the plane weighs in at 4.9 pounds and seem to have more power than a 40 ( It seems to be more like a good 45-46). the plane will take off very quickly and clime out at at lest a 50 deg. angle . we where Abel to fly the airplane around at half throttle and it still had plenty of authority to maintain altitude and clime slowly. we flew the airplane for 18 min and still had plenty of power when we landed ( I did 3 touch and goes with it right be for landing ) . to me this made a really great trainer set up.
Mike
Here are a few pictures .

Twmaster
05-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Cool set up Mike. Tell your friend he has a winner of a plane!

Thanks for the post.

teambreen
05-26-2006, 05:35 AM
Thanks Mike I will let him know. I have been flying smaller electrics for some time now and was really surprised at how well this set up worked out I think a 40 sized electric is in my future .
Mike
By the way If you do not mind me asking what set up are you running on your slow stick?

Twmaster
05-26-2006, 05:54 AM
I don't mind ya askin' :)

SK400XT motor, TowerPro 15A (old version) ESC, 9x4.7SF APC prop and 3S 1050mA Vampower lipo.

teambreen
05-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info that sounds like a great set up.

Saint Maurice
06-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Tower hobbies trainer 40, I have one and love it. Where did you get that motor mount? Did you make it??

teambreen
06-29-2006, 07:14 AM
We started out cutting the rails off the original tower mount then we ordered a set of stand offs from http://www.espritmodel.com/ then we cut out a aluminum plate and mounted the motor to it and used the original motor mount to drill 4 holes in the aluminum plate next wee got a set off longer bolts that fit the original blind mounting nuts I think they where 10-32 ( If you are interested I can get the link of the stand offs the length and size off the bolts and the thickness of aluminum plate that we used sorry I can't remember the info but I can ask Gene the owner of the plane. I will be glad to get this info for you) then we simply put the standoffs between the aluminum plate and the original mount and bolted every thing to the fire wall. one other mod that we made that is not shown in the pictures is we added a scoop to the top of the fuse just behind the fire wall to get more air into the battery because on the first few flights the 4440 mill pack was getting a Little hotter than we liked.
I hope that helped and let me know if there is any other info i can pass along to you.
Mike

Saint Maurice
07-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Please send all the information you can find. I have 3 HiMaxx Motors that have a radial mount with stand-offs standard. Sometimes I still just have to fabricate to fit win attempting to convert from nitro to electric.
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-262.html (http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-262.html)
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26_files/hc35parts.jpg (http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26_files/hc35parts.jpg)

teambreen
07-08-2006, 04:44 AM
sorry it took me this long to reply I have been out of town all week. I will get all the info I can over the weekend and try and post it Sunday . If I can't post it Sunday I will have to post it next sat because I have to go back out of town this coming week ( I work for a model airplane company that is located about 100 miles from where I live so when I have to go down there and work. I live there for a week at the time. The price we pay to do this crazy hobby HA HA) I do not see any reason you could not use the Himax set up the only thing you will need to do is put a different nose wheel mount in because tower has theres built into the motor mount .
take care .

modeljake
08-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Teambreen,
I have the same plane but it has the factory .40 size OS LA engine. I have been flying it for a while and has seemed to be always underpowered. I have tried everything from diff props to diff size wheels. The covering is starting to peel off b/c of the exhaust. Could you tell me exactly how much did it cost you for the entire outfitting of the electric engine into TH trainer, and how big of a deal was it to change everything out? Also, what size prop do you swing on it? Thank you.

bert269
09-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey all

I got my TH .40 trainer ast week and set it up. Also with a AXi motor, but just a smaller one that Team Breen used in theirs. I used the 2820/10. I'm running it on a 60Amp CC ESC and a 4000mah 4s lipo. RTF weight is about 4.84lb. Had a very successful maiden yesterday...

I have not tested the amp draw, but it flies nicely with a 11X7 APCE prop. Enough power to fly anything from 11-16mins (depending on the lipo I used) Some of my older lipo's does not last that long. I think they are closing their livespan.

I will have to add some vents today for airflow to the ESC. It was a bit hot after a flight. Will make some holes tonight and some in the bottom back of fuse for the air to flow out.

Will post pictures of the mods I made to get it airborne.

Nice flier - very responsive.
Thanks
Bert

dumo01
09-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Was at a fly in over the weekend and won a NIB Tower Trainer 40 MKII which I am going to do an electric conversion on. Found this thread and was wondering if there was any more experience with converting this plane.

So far I am thinking of using the Head Up 4248-08:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1434/4248-dsh-08-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric/Detail

Probably has some influence that Jeff appears to have a picture of the TT 40 with that motor

Will most likely use the HURC 60 or 70 ESC with a TP 11 x 5.5 prop and a 4 s battery. Am still trying to figure out if I want to go with a 3200 battery or go bigger. I am thinking that the bigger battery might get me some needed weight up front as well as giving me longer flight times.

Has anyone done a dedicated battery hatch or did everyone just take the wings off to get the battery in and then re-seat the wing as part of the preflight?

Was also thinking about if there was a way to mount the ESC below and behind the motor, external to the fuse for cooling rather than depending on cutting cooling vents in the fuse

Any other ideas?

stevecooper
09-22-2010, 01:44 AM
4248-08 puts out 560 watts with that set-up which is Purrrrr'fect for your bird! bubsteve

wbuttry
11-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Was at a fly in over the weekend and won a NIB Tower Trainer 40 MKII which I am going to do an electric conversion on. Found this thread and was wondering if there was any more experience with converting this plane.

So far I am thinking of using the Head Up 4248-08:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1434/4248-dsh-08-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric/Detail

Probably has some influence that Jeff appears to have a picture of the TT 40 with that motor

Will most likely use the HURC 60 or 70 ESC with a TP 11 x 5.5 prop and a 4 s battery. Am still trying to figure out if I want to go with a 3200 battery or go bigger. I am thinking that the bigger battery might get me some needed weight up front as well as giving me longer flight times.

Has anyone done a dedicated battery hatch or did everyone just take the wings off to get the battery in and then re-seat the wing as part of the preflight?

Was also thinking about if there was a way to mount the ESC below and behind the motor, external to the fuse for cooling rather than depending on cutting cooling vents in the fuse

Any other ideas?
yeah jeffs motors are pretty good i been useing them for about 3 yrs now and had a few go bad but i found out u need to buy a motor a little bigger than what you need and bigger esc than normal and you wont be workin them hard and they will last for years:silly: hey put the motor on a plywood sheet and glue it to the ears of the nose and mount your motor tp the plywood mount and stick your esc behind that it will balance the plane and put your esc out in the wind

dumo01
11-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Finally got this one in the air today, absolutely perfect weather today, supposed to get rain and chilly tomorrow, so the field was packed.

Got two flights in on this one. flew very nice needed almost no trim. The motor set up has plenty of power only needed about 1/2 throttle or slightly less to cruise. Need to recharge the battery to see how much power I used for about 6-7 minute flight. I might order a 4000maH battery as a second battery, currently using a 3200.

Does a respectable loop, very responsive to aileron input up to a point but did not seem to want to carry through with a full roll. Will keep working on that, but was expecting a fun easy cruiser, not a 3D so that is fine.

Good day, sorry no video