PDA

View Full Version : Goldberg Eagle: wet to dry

RogerQ
05-29-2006, 02:44 AM
I was given an Eagle that had been started from the kit: the guy who started it used a full 2 oz bottle of Ca just on the wing. So, I spent a couple of weeks cleaning up the mess, and getting the wing to look like a wing.
Then, I got started on the fuse, tail feathers etc. During all this, I thought, and thought about what engine to put in it: I finally settled on an Enya 46 four stroke. When I mounted it on the plywood mount plate, a brilliant idea hit me right between the eyes: Why not make the plane one that could fly wet, or dry. I had the wet Enya, and I just happen to have to Astro Cobalt geared 25,s that I have set aside for a Great Planes DC-3 that I am going to finish one day. These motors are new, need to be broken in, so.....I cut out another plywood motor mount, used some "plumbers tape" to make the engine mount for the Astro 25s. Fit like a glove. So, I can go both way. I have two sets of NMH 8 cell, 2100 batteries. Heavy, Heavy. So, I started saving, and next week will order a two cell 2300 mAh Li-Poly battery. Oh yes, I am buying two , of the two cell, and will run them in series, through an 80 amp Astro speed control, or a 45 amp Astro speed control I will do this all to break those electric motors in and have them running at their best when I put them in the DC-3. And, I save over 2.5 lbs of weight. I can't wait to get the li-poly's. I have an Astro 109 battery charger.
later, I will buy 2 more of the Li-poly's and use the 4 sets in the DC-3. I am so excited about both projects, but as I said, I have saved enough to buy the first 2 sets of batteries, so onward, and upward.
Any comments would be appreciated. I thinnk it all fits together, we shall see. Roger Q.

Dereck
05-30-2006, 02:44 AM
If you want long life and happiness for your Astro 25, keep it down to 30A max and use that sparingly. I ran one on 20 x 2000 SCR nicads for a while at 30A and it didn't mind. Much more, and you will be tempted to use it, and you'll kill the brushes / commutator.

While you're at it, get yourself a Sig Kadet Senior kit - the BIY not the BARF ready made. There's tons around on converting them and they are much lighter than most for an 80" model, plus there's enough room inside for a party and the dance band :)

D

RogerQ
05-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Dereck: thanks for the note:about the 30 amps. I am aware of that, but quite honestly had forgotten. I have had a sig Kadet Senior: and you are right, there is a ton of room in the fuse. Roger

qban_flyer
05-30-2006, 05:51 AM
I agree on the Kadet Sr. kit as a nice conversion too.

I flew one owned by B. Savage at the CASA Spring Sizzle last Saturday. What a marvelous flying machine. Very aristocratic looking on the ground. Majestic in flight. :)