PDA

View Full Version : AirfoilZ as a TRAINER??

Nitro Blast
05-30-2006, 03:33 AM
What a great day of flying in Hawaii! (well at least for some) 20+mph winds and a engine flame-out at the wrong time meant the club's trainer airplane (a 10 year old SIG Kadet 40) did'nt make it back to the runway alive.

Right in the middle of a lesson with a local 8yr old Dylan DiMarchi and the club's trainer was a goner. I immeadately stepped up with my AIRFOILZ EDGE 540! The club instructor didnt think it was a good idea to get him in the air with a 3D capable ship, so I simply turned the rates down to 30%, and the AIRFOILZ EDGE 540 performed BETTER than the clubs trainer! I wish I could have taken a photo with Dylan but he got in 3 great flights, with loops, rolls and even an immelman turn! It was Dylan's 3rd day at the flying field, with lots of simulator time, he was just getting to the point he could fly without too much assistance. The AIRFOILZ EDGE 540 was making him look like a pro! Just before he was done with flight #3, I told him to 'go upstairs 3 mistakes high', and I flipped the rates back to 125%. He was a flippin and a floppin it around just having a blast. I put the rate switches back to mild (30% on ailerons, and 40% on elevator & rudder) and the flawless AIRFOILZ EDGE 540 setteled back into trainer mode, allowing him to make some of the smoothest approach passes he had ever made.

Even in the 15~20 mph wind, he was saying that this was the best flying he had ever done. No doubt, the Airfoilz planes make PERFECT TRAINERS!

CHEAP, Light, dureable and best of all..... they can grow your skills from completely mild to extremely insane!

AIRFOILZ TRAINERS.... who would have thought!!??

He was hooked. His Dad Jim said they were going home, and getting online to order one!

AIRFOILZ Gave away two planes to the Aloha State RC Club for their Memorial Day event, here is the club's instructor pilot Richard B with the club's new AIRFOILZ EDGE 540 TRAINER !
http://img330.imageshack.us/img330/153/11525526qh.jpg

and another member Herve Lejuene with his new AIRFOILZ YAK
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4738/sedge0239rq.jpg

Herve had about 10 minutes with it, and began hovering, harrier rolling and having the best time.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/5660/sedge0184cx.jpg

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/770/sedge0219ia.jpg
SPECIAL Thanks to Paul G and AIRFOILZ for allowing me to show the local Island Boys how us AIRFOILZ PILOTS PLAY!!

qban_flyer
05-30-2006, 05:43 AM
What a novel concept! :)

Now don't anyone get any ideas about my Airfoilz YAK-54 being used as a club trainer. I need all the training I can get, so it is off limits to everyone bu ME. :eek:

Nitro Blast
05-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Qban... ya gotta give it a try.... take the rates down low, and take it for a flight.... Tell me if that isnt the best aileron trainer around !!

qban_flyer
05-30-2006, 07:13 AM
I'll try that tomorrow morning. :)

My Airfoilz YAK-54 is set up for 80 deflection (all moving surfaces) in each direction on high rates (65% expo) and 50 on low rates (50% expo). I suppose I'll bring the deflection down to around 10 with no expo and give it a whirl. It may put the Electrocuted Senior Kadet we were flying Saturday to pasture.

I'll post my results. :)

3dfoamworks
05-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Sweet! I was wondering how a beginner would fair flying a Airfoilz, now I know, let me know when the next funfly is maybe I can write off the trip as a business expense.:)

Mikeygp
05-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Here are a few videos I made with the AirfoilZ Edge and Yak!

Enjoy
Michael Yosten

Edge 540
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DXHM4ta3s

Yak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXHe_WQth4

qban_flyer
05-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, we went to the field this morning as usual on Tuesdays.

Once there I moved the clevises to the outermost hole on each control surface horn, then reduced the throws to what I considered a manageable level. I flew the Airfoilz YAK-54 and was amazed at its docility while in flight.

Came down and reduced the throws electrically further and took it up again. Three mistakes high I handed the TX to Bill who was rather reluctant to take it (he's 84 and the one who owns the Electrocuted Sr. Kadet we flew at the Sizzle last Saturday).

He was flying that YAK-54 like an expert (no 3D stuff, though) in less than 15 seconds. He found it to be "a lovely airplane in looks and in how it handled". :)

You were right Nitro, the Airfoilz are good trainers that won't be obsoleted as the pilot hones in his/her flying skills. ;)

I'll let you know of the next event in the area Paul. Many other clubs have other events planned for the next few months. Closing the official flying season with Oktoberfest. :D

airmail wf
05-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Very interesting. I'm going to try this with my SX3. I have some friends (really) that want to try my SX but they are not 3D pilots. This might help them get used to a hotter plane in stages.

Thanks Nitro and qban for the suggestions.:)

Nitro Blast
05-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Closing the official flying season with Oktoberfest. :D

Oh brother, I feel for ya. We fly 12 months a year. I'd have a fit if I couldnt get to the field for more than a couple of months!

qban_flyer
05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Oh brother, I feel for ya. We fly 12 months a year. I'd have a fit if I couldnt get to the field for more than a couple of months!Actually, it is the end of the "official" flying season. :o

We fly all year 'round. Even in snow! :eek:

stafphoto
05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Where can you buy one of these planes it looks very nice?

3dfoamworks
05-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Right here- http://3dxhobbies.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=31

http://airfoilz.com

qban_flyer
05-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Not only does it look good, it flies as good as it looks too! :)

stafphoto
05-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys I'll have to take a little looksy :D

king160woody
05-31-2006, 11:44 PM
I've flown a lot of foamies and these impressed me the most by far.. I love both my yak 54 and edge 540 from them.. Top quality planes and top flyers!! I can't wait for the next plane they make, because so far both planes are A+!! They fly so smooth and true that with low rates can be as easy as a trainer for sure.

qban_flyer
06-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Then, there is the price of admission. :)

Don't we love it when a high quality product is priced just right? :D

sh0rtlilvietb0i
06-01-2006, 04:50 AM
im just curious to what tx you guys use? im interested in obtaining one of these.. possibly a edge 540 and im really lost on what electronics i should use... thanks for you help!

qban_flyer
06-01-2006, 05:45 AM
You can get away with something as unasuming as a Hitec Optic 6 computerized TX.

I am using a Futaba 8 "Super" which has been discontinued for at least three years now. Receiver I am using on mine is the Hitec Electron 6 receiver. Servos are Hitec's HS-55s though if I had to do it over again I would use the Hitec HS-65HB servos. I am partial to Futaba and Hitec radio gear.

I am using the recommended Hacker A20-20L outrunner motor and the ESC used is the Hacker X-20. When it comes to batteries everyone has their pet product. I would strongly recommend using something in the range of a truly honest 15C to 20C continuous discharge rate. Many in RC land claims their packs are capable of achieving this level of performance, few do.

Suffice it to say that I would not use a pack that is not capable of delivering less than 18A on a continuous basis just to be on the safe side. There are a couple brands that have 11.1V packs in the 1000 to 1500mAH range that can do this extremely well.

flypaper 2
06-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Check out the Spektrum DX6. I've pretty well phased out my Futaba 9C except for helis which are to much of a hastle to reprogram. Just the satisfaction of no glitches is worth it.

king160woody
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm using a computer radio which is sweet a eclips 7 from hi tec!! It's not a real complex one but will do more than what most ppl ever use anyway. Im using hs 55's and a hacker 20 20L for a motor. Im using a Castle Creations Berg 4L receiver "the smallest/lightest" receiver i have seen yet! I'm also using a castle creations phoenix 25 esc. This set-up works really good with my edge. 17.7 ounces RTF

RCMustang
06-02-2006, 04:09 AM
qban_flyer,
I'm glad to see you got your Yak into the air. I just ordered all my parts from Airfoilz yesterday after buying the Yak at the Sizzle. I can't wait to get this baby in the air. I'll have it ready in time for County Appreciation day. Bring it out to CASA and we'll have some fun!

qban_flyer
06-02-2006, 04:20 AM
qban_flyer,
I'm glad to see you got your Yak into the air. I just ordered all my parts from Airfoilz yesterday after buying the Yak at the Sizzle. I can't wait to get this baby in the air. I'll have it ready in time for County Appreciation day. Bring it out to CASA and we'll have some fun!Been flying it for at least three weeks now. :)

I am reluctant to fly it when it is windy, though. It's so pretty I hate to ding it up on a less than a smooth landing. :o

I am not sure whether I'll attend the DCRC County Appreciation Day event later on this month. Depends on my schedule for that particular weekend. ;)

Bill S. loved flying the YAK-54 after I had tamed the throws considerably. :)

PS: We'll fly them "in formation"! :D