PDA

View Full Version : Converting to WMV

Rugar
05-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a Nikon 7900 which takes video in "MOV" format. Which programs are you guys using to convert to either AVI or WMV for use on Putfile or other video hosting sites?

aviatordave
05-30-2006, 09:05 PM
If you have windows xp you can use Windows Media Encoder, free to use...just download it.

otherwise I use Pinnacle Studio 10, costs about $90 and you need a good machine to run it.

I know .mov files are prob the best quality, but alot of people just dont view them. I use a Pentax Optio s5z which makes good movies in mpeg format.

good luck - Dave

Rugar
05-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks Dave,
I will give Windows Media Encoder a shot. I tried using Rad Video Tools, but it only works half the time for some reason. But when it does work the quality of the Video seems good.

Rugar
05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Windows Media Encoder does not work with .MOV files. :(
Can anyone that's using a Nikon Camera let me know what they are using. I hate the thought of having to spend $90.00 on a program just to be able to post Vids on this site for fun. Especially since Mods cant enter the A/P contests.

Kosh
05-31-2006, 05:18 AM
It does work on the files, You need the bottom dropdown window and select "All Files" then it will show up. It also gives you a choice of encodeing at 1, 2 or 5 Mbps and 1 or 2 work fine.
Going to start a thread for "Video 101" so those that want to try will hopefully find a easy way to give it a go.

Rugar
05-31-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks Kosh. It is now working and converting right now. When I tried it earlier it said that MOV was not a supported file or something to that nature. Waiting to see how it turns out.
I downloaded the free version of Video Cleaner, and although it worked fine, the sound was really horrible on playback.

aviatordave
05-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Good deal....looking forward to some video - - - - -> this was for AP video, wasnt it? :D

Rugar
05-31-2006, 06:33 AM
It will be for A/P if I ever get around to building my Magpie A/P. That's what I got the camera for. Right now I'm just trying to get this video posting figured out.

I cant get the Windows Media Encoder to work right. When its done converting and I try to play it, its has a still picture and then immediately stops like its at the end of the video :(. Ive tried converting three times now at 5, 2, and 1 mbps and does the same thing each time :mad:.

I converted this one using the free version of Video Cleaner. The picture quality is OK if you dont go to full screen, but the sound is weird :confused:.
http://media.putfile.com/Slow-Stick-85

Kosh
05-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Impressive, I thought for sure that SS was a gonner just after takeoff. Compressing the video also compresses the sound and yours was better than most posted for both. I say try giving Windows Media Encoder another try after a fresh reboot and let it do it thing with no other apps running. At 2Mbps it will do full screen on the windows media player. There are a few that for some reason this program will just not work for and I'm not sure theres a simple way to work around it or not. Theres also the DIVX option to look into if your filesize is really large and it will come out very close to your video but in a smaller footprint.

ForestCam
05-31-2006, 07:08 AM
I've used this in the past
http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm

It worked pretty well and the best part is it's free.

Just convert you MOVs to AVI's then use Windows Movie Maker (it's already bundled with XP) to convert to WMV.

Rugar
05-31-2006, 07:19 AM
I've used this in the past
http://www.videohelp.com/mov2avi.htm

It worked pretty well and the best part is it's free.

Just convert you MOVs to AVI's then use Windows Movie Maker (it's already bundled with XP) to convert to WMV.

I have that one and it actually produces the cleanest video and audio, but it doesn't seem to work all the time. When I use it for large files, I either get errors, or the Video comes out with weird colors.

Rugar
05-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Impressive, I thought for sure that SS was a gonner just after takeoff. Compressing the video also compresses the sound and yours was better than most posted for both. I say try giving Windows Media Encoder another try after a fresh reboot and let it do it thing with no other apps running. At 2Mbps it will do full screen on the windows media player. There are a few that for some reason this program will just not work for and I'm not sure theres a simple way to work around it or not. Theres also the DIVX option to look into if your filesize is really large and it will come out very close to your video but in a smaller footprint.

Kosh,
Ive been setting WME to "File Download (computer playback)" is this how I should be doing it? Then should I use the "VBR" or the "CBR" for encoding? I guess I need to just keep trying differant settings.

The free version of Video Cleaner will only let me do 2 mins of Video.

Kosh
05-31-2006, 07:55 AM
I use the VBR but don't think you will see much difference. You can have the video at 1Mbps but the sound at 5 if thats what your after. Of course that means a larger file so on videos I dont plan on using the original soundtrack I always set to lowest to save space. I have 2 monitors running here and your video went to full screen much better than most on the second. Now come on you have to admit that its pretty cool to be able to show your own stuff the way you want it. Keep working on it and you "WILL" find a easy way to get it done.

Rugar
05-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Still cant get WME to work for me. I may just go ahead and buy the Video Cleaner program. Its $30.00 so its not to bad.

And yes it is cool being able to play around with this stuff. Was messing around with Windows Movie Maker and there is lots of things to play with for editing.

Nitro Blast
06-05-2006, 11:57 PM
My wife started making video's, and one night she clicked on some converter that cost $20. Originally I was a little miffed she bought something, but the truth is I have used it a bunch of times...

Digital Media Converter 2.5 is what she bought... and can be found free online in the right places. Works well and lets you choose many options for sizing and image quality.

Rugar
06-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I ended up paying for the Video Cleaner program. For $30.00 it works good .
I ordered my Magpie AP today. Ive had everything to put one together but the plane for awhile now, but ended up putting the components in another plane since I had it all sitting here. I dumb thumbed the plane in yesterday so now every thing is now available for a Magpie again. Figured I should hurry and get started on it before I find something else to put the gear in again ;).