PDA

View Full Version : Crashed planes! Just how many?

Thunder500
06-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Probably a good thread to start with. Just how many planes have you crashed since you started with the hobby? Since I started flying 5 years ago I pranged 3 Pico J3s, a GWS zero and spitfire. J3s are easy to repair so before finally discarding, i must have crashed it several times before deciding to buy a new one. The zero and spitfire was another thing. I must have crashed it 4 times for each but since repair is possible even if its a major crash its do all possible so it can fly again. Oh! I pranged my formosa once doing a low level while looking at something else.

Rugar
06-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Moving thread to the "Crash Forum".

Don Sims
06-02-2006, 12:30 PM
How many have I crashed? Almost all of them. I can't think of any planes that I haven't had an unscheduled or hard landing with! :eek:

firemanbill
06-02-2006, 01:17 PM
At least your honset Don! Same here when it comes to that.

Just when I think I've got one all figured out one of my thumbs go stupid on me:eek: My brain tells it one thing but it gwants to do the opposite of that for some reason.

In my hangar the only uncrashed plane is an unflown plane, and I don't have any of those at the moment.

But seriously I have only totalled, (and I hope I don't jinx myself saying this), one airplane. all the other mishaps were repairable.

Mike Parsons
06-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Every plane has an expiration date ;)

I would have to borrow some fingers and toes to count mine up :)

firemanbill
06-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Every plane has an expiration date ;)

I would have to borrow some fingers and toes to count mine up :)

Very true Mike. Now if we only knew what that date was...:D

giflyrc
06-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Even my unflown planes have been pre-crashed one way or another from knocking them off the bench to having a four foot flouresent fall and smash one to smithereens!

Roger aka GIFLYRC

TManiaci
06-02-2006, 08:02 PM
My planes don't survive all the handling before I crash them most of the time. Here is my last destructive effort...:rolleyes:

My son took my SUV to fetch us some lunch, toolbox rolled over on my Charger RC Temecula Yak. :(

firemanbill
06-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Ouch Tman! you gotta hate it when that happens.

I had just finished my Mini Funtana and was building up the courage to fly it when for some unknown reason it decided to take a plunge to the floor from the workbench.

Had to replace the firewall, stick mount, cowl. :o

After that though I was ready to fly, not having to worry about busting a virgin plane!

crxmanpat
06-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, like everyone else, I have crashed all of my flyable planes at least once, with one exception, my new GWS Tiger Moth. But, given enough time I'm sure it'll go in eventually.

I have only had one unrepairable crash, when my Super Cub flew away and landed in water and sat for 12 hours before I could retrieve it.

NUTS
06-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Where do I start? Well how about today! Re-Kitted my Mini Katana this am. Radio set on the wrong plane. Now what do I put this motor in?

Best Regards
Nuts

yamakawazuki
06-02-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm so bad, I've even crashed my aero ace.

firemanbill
06-02-2006, 10:16 PM
yeah and... Heck I crash my aero ace on purpose:eek: I have actually tried to tear that thing up but I can't... lol:D

airmail wf
06-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Not only a ton of my planes but add one transmitter. While trying to catch my Unbreakable SX3 plane I dropped my very breakable Tracker II radio. Got lucky on this one, fell into tall grass.:rolleyes: 3D flying, You got to love it. :D

Tinlid
06-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I cry before i go to the field then i don't have to worry about when i get home!!!:(

Rugar
06-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Very true Mike. Now if we only knew what that date was...:D

Just look on your calendar. It will magically appear right after the crash! :D

TManiaci
06-03-2006, 12:27 AM
My buddy, owns the LHS, always says:

"It's only a part number!"

firemanbill
06-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Just look on your calendar. It will magically appear right after the crash! :D

So very very true... of course then again I have flown a few of them well past the expiration date:eek:

thomdoe
06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
I love it when they just come in nice once. K

Cowboy
06-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Ya ever notice how its always the new one that ya crash. Then it seems like you fly forever, till some tree or fencepost jumps up and snags it out of the sky!.................... If ya don't crash you don't fly on the edge much!;)

firemanbill
06-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Yes I have Cowboy! It seems like within the first few flights I always tear something up then it flies great after the fix.

I think it is because I breathe when I fly once the plane has a few dings in it!:eek:

thomdoe
06-03-2006, 04:00 AM
There was a thread some time ago, in I think it was Bill G said watch out for the " famous this is the last flight " how many planes have I lost to this? Too many, Too many more to come. Isn't RC flight GREAT ???

firemanbill
06-03-2006, 04:30 AM
There was a thread some time ago, in I think it was Bill G said watch out for the " famous this is the last flight " how many planes have I lost to this? Too many, Too many more to come. Isn't RC flight GREAT ???

YUP! done that too!

crxmanpat
06-03-2006, 05:17 AM
It seems like within the first few flights I always tear something up then it flies great after the fix.
Like the Cessna, eh Bill? :p

Crash Test Dummy
06-03-2006, 05:46 AM
I think I have crashed all of them at one time or another. Oh well Sh*t happens. Without crashes we would never discover all the cool fixes and upgrades to make our planes better. So, I guess.....I like crashing??? Just look at my name!:p It's kinda like it's my job to crash [test dummy]!

CTD

dinsour
06-03-2006, 05:49 AM
I am not going to list all my prangs here. Maybe just one of the more seriouse one. It was stupid but then again I was young.

Did you ever try to stunt a racing plane?/ I dfid. The moter was mine and the plane was a friend of mines. It was all aluminum, about 10" wing span. Had a 39 engine in it , but was only rated for 29.
Well I got bored real quick going around in a circle, so I tried a loop...
She pulled up quite well, put never pulled out.
My friend wouldn't talk to me for months.

Any day you learn something new, is a day that is not wasted

thomdoe
06-03-2006, 06:08 AM
CTD Very funny. Keith

thomdoe
06-03-2006, 06:11 AM
CDT, did you see my video ? Keith

Crash Test Dummy
06-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Yes!! It really looks like a great flyer!! It lands like silk!! Are they still producing them? I thought I heard they stopped making them. PM me so we don't clog up this thread.

CTD

firemanbill
06-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Like the Cessna, eh Bill? :p

Yes indeed Pat... A very fine example of one that I had to crash about 10 times before it began to fly well:D

K CLOSE
06-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Stuffed the P-38 on it's maiden. Took a radio hit and spirialed straight into the dirt from about 5 stories up. I know its morbid, but I'm relieved to see I'm not alone in getting frustrated from time to time. Misery loves company I guess. Stuffed every plane I own at one point or another. I just cant throw some of them away- I gut them and let my wife eventually toss 'em when she thinks I'm not looking. Less guilt that way.;)

50+AirYears
06-05-2006, 04:15 AM
I currently have 18 about to crash R/C jobs. I have been building and flying since 1948. I have built at least 110 R/C planes since 1962, Giving about 92 that have met their natural fate. If I try to think of how many planes total, including CL and FF, that have done that, my head starts hurting and my eyes get wet.

thomdoe
06-05-2006, 04:41 AM
50+airyears, are the eyes wet from laughter ?? My crashes always make me LOL. Keith

50+AirYears
06-05-2006, 03:03 PM
When an individual "Incident" occurs, it's "Wet with Laughter", because it's ussually some dumb thing I do. Only about 4 "Incidents" in those years are directly traceable to interference or something else probably beyond my control. When I think back to how many total "Incidents" and "Re-kittings" over those years, and how much money and building time was invested, it's not necessarily laughter causing the wet eyes. I console myself by thinking that each "Incident" provides me either with the learning experience of hopefully avoiding future occurrences (HAW!!), learning new repair and rebuilding skills, or having room to build another entirely new replacement.

thomdoe
06-06-2006, 01:02 AM
50, I tried that one on myself for some time. Then my friends told me JUST GIVE IT UP you just like to crash. Keith

DFKROFT
06-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Sorry no pictures. But I did my big cub with a Saito FA 90t engine in it. Somehow the engine made it. The firewall suffered the brunt of the crash, along with the cowling and part on the nose.
The other one was a foamy. One of them ARF's a Censna I think it was supposed to be a 180. anyway it 'was' a taildrager. From the distance I seen, all I could see was a big ball of white dust in the grass.
Dave

kensp
06-06-2006, 04:24 PM
For me its not how many planes have I crashed. Its how many times have I crashed and repaired each plane.

My Zero holds the record of 5 major, bring home in a plastic bag, crashes. My E-Starter has not been crashed when I have been flying it, but it fell off its wall hanger and broke the wing and rudder. Nowdays I always take a plastic bag when I go flying.

Ken

Superbee
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
My wife asked me when I got back in the hobby after being gone for 30 years, "You have one airplane, Why do you want to get another?" So far I have had six in the air for a total of three minutes. 2 1`/2 minutes were on a cheapo two motor two channel glider with a 17 inch wing span. She "crashed" my Aerobird Extreme taking it out to the car for me. Wiped out the empannage on the screen door. Her comment,"OOPPPPS"
Oh Well.

SBE
06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Can't count how many. Started building when I was 7
and had to keep going ever since just to have something
flyable. Only models I haven't crashed have been the
fly-away free flight ones. (Yes it does happen even with
a D.T.)

Any arrival with the model in one piece is a landing, the
more common ones are arrivals!

dicknadine
06-06-2006, 09:57 PM
heck, I learned back the 1940's that crashing is part of the hobby, lets see what size firecracker shud we put in this model. it seemed that that 10 cent kit burned just as good as the 50 center. summer time was, build at least one model a day. dick

SBE
06-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Ah! those were the days, we painted
with dope............ not sniffed it.
But there was a war on, materials
were hard to come by and expensive.

50+AirYears
06-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Don't forget dyeing balsa red while cutting printwood out with split double-edge Gillette Blue Blades: Some kits coming with a small tube of cement that you pierced the nozzle with a straight pin, maybe with one or two bottles of Comet dope: Building Strombecker models with their envelope of casien glue and some kind of sanding sealer that you mixed with water: Cleveland kits that had die cut formers, but you had to glue a small strip of sandpaper to the edge of a wood strip and sand in the notches for the stringers: Being able to tie a couple planes and a field box to your bike and be at a field far enough from anybody that you could fly with an unmuffled engine all day long. But then, a $1.50 plane kit could cost everything you could save from a couple weeks of paper route or whatever other paying job you could land: Radio control required that you get an amatuer liscense and probably build your own radio and actuators: Even if you had a good paying job, a good engine could require several weeks of saving enough money: Radios ate batteries and required constant tuning and adjustment: Until about 1947 or 48, engines ran on a mix of white gasoline and oil, and were VERY finicky: Electric power wasn't even a dream, more a matter of science fiction! The only thing that hasn't changed is that there are still only two types of planes: Those that have already crashed, and those that are getting ready to!

Rugar
06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I can just see it 50 years from now.

Back in 2006 we had to bolt on the wings and install power systems in our ARTF planes. That was back in the old days when all we had were Brush-less Motors with ESC's that were programmed on one of those old Computer things. Those Lipo batteries didn't put hardly any power and run time compared to the stuff we use now ;). :D

TManiaci
06-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Boy, you guys are making me feel old! I'm not 50 (yet), but some of that stuff sounds way too familiar.

tortadon
06-12-2006, 08:19 AM
I am new to the art of flying but feel very pro minded when it comes to crashing. One question has come up that maybe you all can help with and it is this. Am I getting better or is it because with all the regluing and tape that my plane now bounces better?

firemanbill
06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
I am new to the art of flying but feel very pro minded when it comes to crashing. One question has come up that maybe you all can help with and it is this. Am I getting better or is it because with all the regluing and tape that my plane now bounces better?

he he he... Probably a bit of both there bud!:D

Welcome to the fine art of foam and balsa repair! You'l be amazed the things you come up with. You'll soon be looking at tape wherever you go wondering... will that work better than brand A or B???

My wife recently had a follow up visit with her doc and while we were waiting I saw this really cool looking white cloth tape sitting on the counter... When he was done I ask him if I could have it! My wife hung her head. I knew I was in trouble then...:D but I got the tape!

50+AirYears
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Grasshopper, all things in life must live in balance! The answer to the question of better bouncing which you must accept is all of the above!

Solcat
06-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Define "crash". Is it an unscheduled landing but still flyable? Broken prop? Minor repairs? Rebuildable. Or useless heap of garbage with a few salvagable parts?

thomdoe
06-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I didn't CRASH !! I just wasn't looking.

aircruiser
06-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Well, I just got into the sport, but I used to and sometimes still do fly my air hogs aero ace and it's seen more trees then charlie brown's kite.

aircruiser
06-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Well, I just got into the sport, but I used to and sometimes still do fly my air hogs aero ace and it's seen more trees then charlie brown's kite.

Thunder500
06-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Define "crash". Is it an unscheduled landing but still flyable? Broken prop? Minor repairs? Rebuildable. Or useless heap of garbage with a few salvagable parts?I would define crash in this thread as both from repairable to total loss. But the real point of this thread is its not a sin to crash especially for newbies. Even veterans do crash one point in time or another. Keep em flying guys!

Tinlid
06-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Define "crash". Is it an unscheduled landing but still flyable? Broken prop? Minor repairs? Rebuildable. Or useless heap of garbage with a few salvagable parts?
Anything between standing there blinking with open mouth saying " #@%&*#@"!!!!!!!! to phew i can easly fix that well maybe :)

Kat
01-06-2007, 02:28 AM
If your trying to kil an aero aceFORGET IT!!!!!They are inpossible to break. My jet got runover by a two ton truck!! five Seconds later its fixed .

peterkron
01-06-2007, 07:33 AM
hmm i have totaled 3 planes flyzone skypilot(wing strut wasint attachted and wingfolded in the air , gws pizza(wing collapsed in a blender "DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH PIZZA") and just recently the mini slinger cracked in midair because i was going about 60 with bl and a 4 cell battery and drove sraight into the ground and i almost cried

SBE
01-06-2007, 06:09 PM
You can total anything if you
realy want to and try hard enough.

Airhead
01-07-2007, 08:19 AM
I've come to the conclusion that I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous.
I will probably actually have a landing some day. Oh, on the landing gear!;)

JRich
01-08-2007, 05:00 AM
Crashed my Gee-bee once and then the motor mount came loose on another flight and took out the front-end of it :) I did land it though, hehe. My most recent crash was with my Yak-54. Damn wind gusts up on landing and I pop my elevator off.

50+AirYears
01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
You CAN destoy ANY plane. I was introduced to the people at the Duraplane booth at the Toledo show one year as someone who destroyed TWO Duraplanes.

EpoweredRc
01-10-2007, 03:40 PM
well what is a crash. when we flew balsa glow engine planes a crash was when you hit the ground at a high rate of speed or riped to the trees or something like this.. With these smaller foam airplanes i dont really call landing int he bushes while learing to hover a "crash "

I have pranged up my foam airplanes and my first one i done so so much I finally retired it and built another one. but really to crash to have pieces of a plane I have only ever "crashed " one plane since 1989. I lost the elevator while inverted on my sweet stick 40 size and it went in throgh the pine trees. that was my only real crash, we all do stupid landings and stuff from time to time..

50+AirYears
01-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Best one I ever had was a Quickie 500. Engine screaming, set up for a high speed pass, probably doing about 140, lost elevator, left parts hanging and around in three trees. Engine was hanging by the throttle cable about 4' above the ground in the third one, radio and three servos hanging by antenna and battery cable in the second.

Aubie
01-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I went through about 10 planes in one month a few years back. Bought a new computer radio on channel 39 due to no one else being on that frequency and then the carnage began. We checked the electronics after each crash and everything checked ok. I changed frequencys and everything was fine. When the club finally got a frequency scanner channel 39 lit up constantly:eek: . The hardets one's to bear were watching my new gas engined stinger fly off never to be found and my sudukoi go nose in from about 400' up. We had to dig the quadra engine out of the ground with a shovel.:( The rest of the plane fit in a small walmart bag. The LHS owner alwasy smiled really big when I walked through the door that month.

intimidator_md
01-12-2007, 10:54 PM
If by "crash" you mean destroyed, then only 6. And 1 was deliberate. Otherwise, I'd say 10. I've damaged 4 others either on landings or takeoff when I was a newb. I remember doing my first solo takeoff with a nitro Big Stik. I was so focused on the plane and building up airspeed that I didn't pay attention to how much asphalt I ate up and ran off the runway into the grass and hit a tree. I felt like such a dink. Cracked the wing and went home. The coolest was one I retired this old Sig Rascal I had. Never was a fan of that plane, but I got it for my 18th b-day. Had my fun with it. Took it to my cousins farm, and we flew it and shot at it with the pellet gun. We had to go through a whole gallon of fuel before she bought the farm (yes it is a pun) That plane had many holes in it but kept flying. I think the kicker was when a shot took out the receiver. After salvaging what we could there were many dents and dings in the servos and engine. The receiver was split into 3 pieces and some chunks were missing. I think that's what caused it to go in. Man that was fun. And hard to hit.

WRX Dave
01-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Eaglet 50: First crash due to elevator control rod failure destroyed fuselage. Second crash due to dumb thumbs destroyed everything.

.60-size Extra 300s: First crash due to reversed ailerons broke wing in half, able to repair. Second crash due to deadstick base-final turn spin destroyed everything.

Lazy Tiger: Clipped wing on small tree trunk on landing while flying at way too small of a field. Broke section of leading edge spar.

F-27: Broken nose after inverted spin due to hitting LVC while in an inverted climb. Easy repair. Foam is great stuff when you crash.

Patriot 40: Minor crash due to accelerated stall after wind gust blew it off the runway on landing. Ripped off firewall and everything forward of it.

Blade CP-Pro: Numerous broken/dinged rotor blated.

The only planes I haven't crashed are my homemade .049 foamy and my new E-flite Extra 260. I haven't flown them much either.

Twizter68
01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Hmmmm....lesse....1 E-Starter-unrepairable; 1 Formosa- unrepairable; 1 Stryker..coulda fixed it, but had new fuse anyway..; 1 funjet, fixed and ready to checkfly; 1 MUS, built new bottom, ready to fly...

Superbee
01-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Crashing just seems to be part of the sport

RC_FOR_ME
02-18-2007, 05:43 AM
I have never crashed a single plane. Maybe its because I only fly them here on my Arizona ocean front property.

Balil
02-18-2007, 06:35 AM
how many planes have i crashed? hmmmm lets think about this one, p-51 pts from hangar-9, world models t-34 mentor, hz super cub numerous times, 1st profile yak-54 until it was trash, blade cp pro, blade cx2 *tonight*, pitts s-2a, and several scratch built planes from my own imagination. "thats not flying! ITS FALLING WITH STYLE!"

SBE
02-18-2007, 05:19 PM
I have never crashed nuthing!
Sometimes something interferes with my signals,
controlls or setup etc.
But ME crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

redgiki
02-19-2007, 01:27 AM
I crashed three airplanes today: my three working ones!
* Magic Fun-Fly: Elevator clevis pin broke during a pull-out, Figure-9 right onto the runway. Total loss of airplane, looks like I can salvage the servos and replace the crankshaft on the engine, but my receiver looks like it had a piece of plywood shoved through it. I'm sad.
* ParkZone Typhoon: Aileron hinges are pretty weak in stock form. I had not flown this in some time, and two hinges broken in flight. I landed and fixed them with some hinge tape. Took it up again, and then stalled it into the ground. Total pilot error, but foam is easy to fix. Casualties: One fuselage snapped in two, the aileron I didn't fix broke off.
* ParkZone F-27C Stryker: Had wrong program on my Tx. Smashed onto the runway. Fixed in about 15 minutes with a good deal of hot glue, but the servo stripped gears. Grounded it for the day.

One total rekit, two damaged airplanes, and one humbled pilot. I had gone a full year since my last real crash and hundreds of flights. Looks like I've been saving up or something! One pilot error, one failure to properly complete pre-flight checklist, one in-flight failure to destruction...

(Note: I don't count broken props, scuffs, hangar rash, and tweaked landing gear "crashes"... they're just part of flying, particularly with the low-quality ARF/RTF stuff I prefer to fly. A crash is a real uncontrolled contact with the ground!)

Grasshopper
02-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Wow Red. Sorry to hear that. Glad to see you posting though. Haven't seen you around much lately.

firemanbill
02-19-2007, 02:14 AM
dang Red! Tough day! Keep your chin up though... at least you got to fly!

k-vette
02-20-2007, 06:35 AM
I don't really want to think about this but... I started flying less than 2 years ago and I didn't know anyone who flew RC planes, which means I learned the hard way. Crashes include a firebird xl (first plane, never flew for long) pico stick, pico stick f, gws corsair, gws p-51, great planes flightflex ucando 3d, homemade flying saucer, profile p-38, about 5 other homemade contraptions, 3d profile pitts, a couple of hobby-lobby yak 55's, ultra stick .60 (landing gear broke off, first from a giant hunk of dirt in the runway, then from an engine failure--fixed and flying), istar pattern plane (still flying), nikitis rebel 3d (replaced and still going strong!), I'm sure I've had some minor crashes with the slowstick, i had another crash today due to the esc cutting off in my p-51 (still determining the problem), that's all I can think of at the moment...:eek:

airmail wf
02-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Dang k-vette thats alot of planes. But thats' the way to do it,just jump right in. Pretty soon you will be wonder how you crashed all those planes.:eek: This is easy.:D

k-vette
02-21-2007, 06:55 AM
I don't really wonder how I crashed all of those, I wanted to learn to fly, and I did! I know some people get discouraged after one or two crashes, that's nothing. Fortunately that doesn't happen anymore for me. I only crash if something goes wrong with the plane. (I hope I didn't jinx myself) Now flying crazy 3d, pattern, warbirds, (still haven't got the helicopter down, i forgot that on the list!) as far as planes go I feel confident flying amost anything now. It's weird, people that have been flying for years sometimes ask me to trim out their planes, and I regularly use a buddy box, and I have all the controls!:eek:

50+AirYears
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Intellectually, too many. Practically, not enough. I recently realized I have run out of room to store flyable planes, and repair of hangar rash is taking up more and more time I could better spend building and flying.

JWilliams
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
A bunch of little ones and 1-2 larger crashes with my sky fly, but it handles them handsomly. Building my second plane now.

My brother learned to fly on a gas trainer a few years back and finally got a hang of things on this third flight. Flight one resulted in a destroyed plane and had to be replaced. Flight two resulted in the plane being carried downwind out of his control/sight and had to be replaced. Flight three on his third plane he got the hang of it.

Airhead
02-23-2007, 03:56 AM
I have become a MASTER of the left bank spiral into the ground from various altitudes...I'm really good at this you know...

Llike Airmail said a few posts ago I also can't wait until I look back and say, "this is easy!!!!!";)

cyclops2
02-23-2007, 11:53 PM
A lot.

Crash ? None.

Since I converted all 3 surfaces to full airfoils.:)

Thunder500
02-26-2007, 08:23 AM
I haven't had a crash in almost a year now and guess what, just did my NOMAD scale and hit an electric post. I was shocked coz the plane was not responding on ailerons and decided to fly by itself. It was my fifth flight on that plane and was proud of it coz its made out of balsa with twin brush 400 motors to power it. BUT NEVER DESPAIR! Guess I have to rebuild it.

50+AirYears
02-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Crashed (and rebuilt) one model 3 times last year. Worst was when the M****coat hinges failed at about 200' altitude. Also totalled 3 ff hand launched gliders.

SBE
02-26-2007, 10:43 PM
Just learn to trim the f/f
H.L.G.sand develope a
consistent throw!!

50+AirYears
02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
It's funny how you can spend decades developing a style for tossing HLGs, and how long it takes to get the form back after even a minor stroke. I wasn't able to compete in 2006, but on the last day of January this year, about a sunny 8*f, I lost one of my gliders in a thermal. Still a bit unsteady on hitting my plant foot yet, but I shall return!

Of course, at 63, I am surprised the shoulder can still take it. I'm trying to learn how to trim a catapault glider now. Nordik TLGs are (almost) a thing of the past for me.

Hipshot
04-26-2007, 04:14 AM
Fly, crash, repair. Seems to be a routine with me. :rolleyes: I've crashed everything I own. :cool:

Taught myself to fly on scratch built foamies. I quickly named it the flying gluestick. ;)

Now I got a clue and a fleet of balsa and foam. EVERYTHING has been repaired! Ya think i'd learn? :p

Been flying my MUS in 20 to 30 MPH winds win 40 MPH gusts What fun! not one crash. Vertical landings! :D

Took six planes out on a beautiful day at the field . CRASHED every single one of them!

Weather does NOT have an effect! Expiration dates do! :eek:

Remember.. building is fun... but repairing is an ART form! I'm a GOD! :D

50+AirYears
04-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Most spectacular crash I ever saw was a Byron F-16, powered by a VERY expensive imported special purpose .91 ducted fan engine. Was it an OPI? Plane lost elevator while starting a pull-out from a dive for a low altitude high-speed pass. Owner salvaged one useable servo and a wheel. 5 years later, you could still find the crater. Actually raised a dust cloud about 2 feet high from dry hard packed clay. Owner was in a kind of state of shock for a while.

It was the first ducted fan plane anybody saw able to take off from our grass field.

Mad Joe
05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, the skyfly has had about 5 wing replacements before I got smart and started putting CF rods in the leading edge, or I just stopped sucking so bad. Then I crashed my new E-flite Mini Edge because some stupid problem with the ailerons I have yet to figure out. But I did come off better than my buddy, cratered his edge from 60' up on the maiden...

Im just glad real pilots have better flight records than all of us. :)

crxmanpat
05-02-2007, 11:56 PM
I crashed my GWS Zero weekend before last. It was a shame too. I've had that plane for a year now, and this was its first ever crash. I have flown this almost as much as I've flown my Slow Sticks. It was a great little flyer, speedy too.

The crash was fatal, and the electronics have already been "donated" to another kit. It would be more trouble to rebuild than to just get another slope glider and start over. Which I will do one day, but I have way too many other kits to get built first.

But I can't bring myself to throw away the pieces yet.

firemanbill
05-03-2007, 12:05 AM
well as most of you already know I lost my Airliner at SEFF. What a way to go out though!:)

A real shame too... I sure did like that one.

crxmanpat
05-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Ah, Bill. That's a real shame. What happened?

firemanbill
05-03-2007, 12:21 AM
I really don't know Pat. Fate I reckon... I won that bird at hodges hobbies last fall and she flew great until I got her back down there. She was really putting on a show and then just trurned and pile drove herself into the dirt off the end of the field. She was home and she was going to stay there!

Hey I crashed in about the same spot that Quiqui Simonzini did though so hey... I can crash with the best of 'em!:silly:

All the electronics and motors are good though so I am going to get another one. I'm really not out anything since I won that bird last fall.

crxmanpat
05-03-2007, 12:50 AM
I wonder if that's a bad spot for RF. Are you FM or spread spectrum?

firemanbill
05-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Oh it was a bad spot allright!

Several went down in the same location, spektrum 6, 7 and FM. I'm on a dx6, the only problem I had was that one time though

Mostly in the first two days. Some were clear radio falilures and others not so much... I think it had something to do with the big farm water pivot thingy off to that side of the field, when it rotated out of the way by friday most of the weird stuff stopped happening on that end.

Don Sims
05-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Bill look at the carnage shots when I post em. The pilots had a tom of short antennas on the radios when I filmed the aftermath.

firemanbill
05-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Oh I know Don. I saw 2 for sure that went down out in that dirt that were 72mhz too though...

I'm really torn on what to do radio wise with this big Waco now...

50+AirYears
05-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Bill, at both fields my club has had, there have been reflection problems with heavy equipment of some sort close to the edge of our flying area. Both appeared to be related to the booms of power shovels, and went away when the shovels did. And interestingly, at our current field, people on 42 FM were hit, and I had no trouble with my 42 AM. I have also seen people have trouble with ground range checks when walking along the line of parked cars or even a metal fence we've had, and have the problem go away just by moving a couple feet away from the metal masses.

I suppose somebody with a radio background could give a nice lecture about the effects of an out of phase reflection and relative strength and things like that.

After over 40 years in RC, I am of the personal opinion that the majority of "I've been hit!" really means something like "My stick got hit wrong by my thumb!" or "I got hit by forgetting to check my reciever battery!"

Personal opinion formed by years of flying and observation. I've been hit maybe 5 or 6 times in all those years since going to the 72 mHz band, and in almost all instances it's been somebody on the field turning on.

redgiki
05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I watched an experienced pilot say "I've been hit, oh I've been hit, I've lost all control" when it was clear to me that he was going too slow on his turn to final and tip-stalled his bird into the ground. It's kind of funny thinking about it. It's important to me that I own my wrecks somehow :)

OK, OK, I haven't posted on this thread since my fateful day wrecking three birds in one day. Here's my total list of rekits since I started flying in 2004:

* Two Stryker Bs, rebuilt each several times. I do stuff with my Stryker I don't do with anything else. All pilot error, my first year flying.
* One Stryker C. I was doing a fast, low turn when my buddy said "look out!" and I glanced out of the corner of my eye to see his wing heading for my head. I ducked and heard a "whump" out in the field from my Stryker going in, and my buddy's wing missed my head by inches. Easy fix, just some glue and a new nose cone, along with steaming the wing. Flies perfectly now, a year later.
* One ParkZone J3 Cub. Rebuilt three times. All pilot error, first year flying.
* Modeltech Magic Fun-Fly, total loss, even most of the electronics were trashed. Builder error was responsible, I used a sub-par clevis on the elevator and it snapped.
* Align T-Rex 450XL, multiple times. I've spent 3x the value of the bird in replacement parts on six crashes :) Mostly pilot error, but some mechanical problems have taken her down. I've only had one wreck bad enough to trash the frame, the rest have been broken blades, snapped this-or-that. Helis are a challenge, I'm too daring too close to the ground, and I forget that I'm not on the simulator and can't press the reset switch.
* Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 helicopter. Lockout due to trying to use the Modeltech Magic receiver which was damaged in the crash above. Easy rebuild, just a half-dozen parts, using a new AR7000 receiver now!
* Great Planes Patriot 40. Tore off most of the monokote on the top of one wing due to high weeds. Flew the whole tank (because this bird is a BEAST to land when it's nose-heavy and full of fuel!), but remarked "boy, she's rolling hard to the right today". Didn't see the fact that I had no top covering on most of a wing until she was back down. Knew it was damaged, didn't know how bad. Bird's repaired, but it's so porky that I've retired it to a corner of my garage to await electrification one day.
* Utah Flyers Wild Wing. Flew it until it was so hammered from so many crashes that one day I said "this really doesn't fly well anymore" and retired it to the garbage bin. I have another wing core and a hotter motor to do it all over again. I flew this bird at least 3 times every day that the weather cooperated for two years. Doing the math, that's somewhere around 1000 flights before I retired it! Tough bird, went through a lot together.
* ParkZone Typhoon. I was on 72MHz still back then, turned the bird on before I turned on the transmitter. It went full-throttle into a fence. Repaired, still flying.
* Kyosho Concept 30 helicopter. Tail exploded in flight. Landed safely with no further damage, but this bird may be permanently grounded because it is so hard to find parts for this 15-year-old heli, and what few are available are ridiculously expensive.

50+AirYears
05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
This thread aroused my curiosity. Since I have lately made up an inventory list of my models, kits, supplies and etc, I also included, to the best of my memory, a historical listing of flyable model airplanes I have built since 1948, including how many of them made it to flying stage. I decided to review the numbers. Love EXCEL!

Built; 118 RC, CL 111, FF 111. Reached termination of natural lifespan in active service; (Crashed in flight) 63 RC, 84 CL, and 78 FF. Of course, some of the FF were flyaways in thermals, so it can only be surmised they no longer exist. The difference between number built and number terminated naturally includes those I never completed, and those which I currently have available.

crxmanpat
05-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Bill,

Do you have any other 72mHz radios still? There is a company putting out a module system that converts FM radios to 2.4GHz. If the FM radio has a module, they most likely have a drop in replacement. If the radio only has a trainer port, then you can use their generic module through the port.

You can check them out here:

www.xtremepowersystems.net

Saucerguy2
05-03-2007, 07:50 PM
It would be absolutely impossible to count the number of times I crashed, the number would be staggering if I tallied it up. I'm self taught and typically have at least one new experiemental plane with very little to go on since it's never been built and designed before which adds to the equasion, this is why I usually bring 2 or 3 at a time. Added to this, two of my favorite fields, now one is an x favorite, are next to some housing complexes and they are fighting back trying to jam the airwaves which makes it next to impossible to fly unless you catch them off guard.

Since I'm a builder, there is technically never a plane that I cannot fix, the dilema is to put time into fixing something or building something new and the latter usually wins out unless I'm down to only 1 or 2 planes that are completely ready to take out again. There are some that are proven hopeless cases due to design flaws I don't mess with any more at all as well.

The only time I get upset over a crash is due to radio interference, the rest of the time I know it can fly again and laugh it off. One of my latest creations I crashed 20 of the 20 times I tried to launch it "ballpark figure", mainly due to not putting enough consideration into how to hand launch it, but in the end, that x park I was talking about got in the way upon finally getting it off of the ground. I added landing gear since the hand launch was not working with the configuration at all, I just got frustrated and yanked the gear, I'll try again at another spot that has pavement and less interference which will give it a better chance but I gotta wait for the field to dry out.

Photo shows the latest original design, the few seconds I did have it airborn, it's showing me it's going to be extreemly agile so hopefully I have the COG finally dialed in, will see this summer, it should be a blast to fly.

firemanbill
05-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Bill,

Do you have any other 72mHz radios still? There is a company putting out a module system that converts FM radios to 2.4GHz. If the FM radio has a module, they most likely have a drop in replacement. If the radio only has a trainer port, then you can use their generic module through the port.

You can check them out here:

www.xtremepowersystems.net (http://www.xtremepowersystems.net)

I've seen those Tom and they look cool. The only 72mhz radios I have though is an old Hitec Laser 4, not really worth the effort for that.

I like the looks of that new JR 9303... don't like the price much but I sure like the radio!::o

crxmanpat
05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I've seen those Tom and they look cool.

Tom? Methinks old age is catching up with you. :D

firemanbill
05-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Tom? Methinks old age is catching up with you. :D

oooops! :red: I must be getting old!:roll: I was going to blame it on the time but it weas mid afternoon huh?? sorry bud!:silly:

I've got so much on my mind trying to figure out what batteries to get for that big new monster of mine my brain is shorting out!

crxmanpat
05-04-2007, 06:23 AM
No worries Bill! I got a bunch of soldering done tonight that needed catching up on. Finally getting my old GWS C-130 back in the air again (same one as in avatar). Plus I'm converting all my Deans Micros to Ultras.

John Boy
07-28-2007, 12:19 AM
I’m kinda of new to this, but I crashed a my super cub about ten times before I got the hang of it. Nothing that glue and tape could not fix. Went through 2 cowlings and one prop. And five struts. But I got the hang of it.

So I replaced the tail cause it was sort of bent. Plane was flying perfect as I turned into final. Misjudged the tree and gently landed the plane at the very top. Still waiting for it to break apart and fall so I can get my receiver back.

Tinman
07-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi John,

Been there and done that! Those Super Cubs never seem to die hu?

Mine is prety much Gorillia glue and packing tape.....

Airhead
07-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi Guys,

My Super Cub doesn't have a scratch on it.....yet.;-) Thats cause I've been moving and stuff.... you know that stuff...new curtain rods, putting together bookcases etc etc etc ......
Well, sorry to be that far off topic... I really do know better..:Q

Biplane Murphy
07-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Crashes?.......Too many to count!!!

21 planes....2 never crashed....8 still fly......one sold
12 totally DESTROYED!!!!!

6 more in progress of assembly or building.

Murph..........

stinkweed007
07-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I have crashed every plane I have owned... my most heartbreaking wreck was Lady Bierstadt (my FSK P-38)

my most sensational crash was my 540 Edges... I mean my Hype Edge 540. she went up... I banked.. she banked.. I straightened... she kept banking.. a crash from 6 ft with hardly any speed... she broke in more pieces than I could pick up in one trip..

Wing Dragon is still my crash hero.. she cracks.. she flies.. she does Hail Mary well diggers... she flies.. she hunts trees like a predator... she flies.. you get the idea..

dotyj
07-29-2007, 07:25 AM
I have wrecked every r/c airplane and helicopter I've owned.

Two r/c planes destroyed on take off.

One r/c plane took miner damage during it's first flight with a lipo. This plane had never successfully flown before Friday and I've had it for four years.

One r/c plane that I've crashed repeatedly with no damage, a Parkzone Cessna 210. Pick it up and try again. :)

If I finish my Prairie Bird 50, I plan to crash it too. Today I discovered my 20amp esc isn't big enough to handle the draw from my Groupner 550 motor. Sigh.

Five r/c helicopters all crashed. No total losses just time repairing. That's five helicopters in all.

Adrian
07-29-2007, 11:21 AM
I've been flying helis for almost a year & a half now, I've lost count of the number of times I've put it in the floor! Heli dumb thumbin is an art in itself:ws:. As to aircraft I recently "lost" my glider as I was coming in to land, just got it turned around back towards me at about 6M's off the deck, when the ESC died, glider straight into about 1M of water on our flooded part of our field (we've had the wettest summer on record for over 300years), a real WTF! moment.
In negotiation with LHS about a replacement free of charge because I'd only flown it less than 3hrs-but with only 20mins on the motor. MMMM let me think an ESC with a life of 20mins of work not exactly "fit for purpose"
Just about to build E-flite Piper Cub, lets see how long it takes me to break it.

slevy
07-30-2007, 01:26 AM
What glue have you found works the best for the foam fuselage of the Super Cub? thanks

brnyrbbl
07-30-2007, 02:00 AM
What glue have you found works the best for the foam fuselage of the Super Cub? thanks
For quick repairs, foam safe CA and or tape. For strong no hurry repairs, 30 minute epoxy or Gorilla Glue.

efinkg
08-18-2007, 12:11 AM
All of them! Actually, the only plane I have flown that has never been crashed is a Electrifly Corsair. All the rest have been crashed anywhere between a hard landing that breaks the prop, to a complete rekitting(of a ARF no less).

Davidpal92
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I've crash all the planes I've ever had (had 4 planes) most of them were repairable but the biggest crash I've ever had was with an ex-friends flip 3d gas powered plane. that was the first and last gas powered plane i will ever fly. anyway the flip 3d was total matchwood, as it was a private RC party we had a bonfire so we took the innards out and burned the plane that night. -R.I.P- (not)

tramp8754
08-21-2007, 06:45 PM
last two crashes

Davidpal92
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM
ooooooooo first one looks nasty

MikeMc
08-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Too many to count in the last 20+ years. Only one I've never crashed is my Ultrafly SU-27 but I'm sure its only a matter of time.

Spencer J
08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
I have been pretty much crash clean until earlier this spring when I slammed my #3 slow stick somewhere else in my subbarb ...I had a 4oz $400 camera on board, and even though it was heavily loaded with the big battery and all, it was probably my fault. I saw a hawk, and decided to go after it but when I kicked up the throttle, I was probably going way too fast (Very hard to tell speed when it is 500+yards away, allot of times when I was flying at altitude the wings would flutter...some up-elevator and low throttle would help that) and it went into a spin. I tried to correct it and I thought I had it under control, but I was just too low and about 3 seconds after the spin it disappeared under the tree line. I tried some up-elevator, but after 15 seconds of shock it was evident it was gone. It is possible the wings ripped off before it hit the ground, I don't know. But that has been the last I have seen the plane, and the camera. I bet that plane is in more than a few places at once today.

Not only was my best $400 camera on it (At the time) but I had it outfitted with a big lipo and brushless power system with 13" prop. On top of that I had the good Hitec servos/receiver in it (I wasn't into the towerpro stuff at the time)

tramp8754
08-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Link to Soar Jet crash video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKJgcXCqo0

Yes, it flew again after this.