PDA

View Full Version : WWII German Twin-Engine Bomber Plans

Sky Sharkster
06-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I posted a link on "Scale-E-Powered Aircraft" yesterday, it's to Modelair-Tech, Tom Hunt's plan service. There's several unusual models listed, both civilian and military, and 3 of these are German WWII twin-engine Bombers or Fighter/Bombers. http://www.modelairtech.com Click "Plans" and "Early Release" These are "Sport-Scale" models.
Heinkel HE-177 Twin speed 400 (geared) Wingspan 59.5" wing area 351 square inches, plans $14.00
Arado AR-240 Fighter/Bomber, Twin speed 400's. Wingspan 51.5" Length 47" Wing area 423 square inches. Plans (2 sheets) $8.50.
Heinkel-111 German medium bomber, for 2 480's. Wingspan 55", Length 40", Wing area 510 square inches. Plans (2 sheets) $8,50.
Also listed is the YAK-6 Russian Utility twin, Aero-45 Czech Republic twin, Beech D-18/C-45 Twin.
Two motors, twice the fun!
Ron

bosher
12-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Sorry to be a total bore.... The HE177 had four engines. Two pairs of two mounted inline. That's why they always caught fire I guess..

I am busy converting my Multiplex Twinstar II into a dornier Flying boat lookalike. I want to retain the great flying characteristics but with pseudo-scale looks..

Cheers

Bob

Sky Sharkster
12-07-2006, 01:49 AM
Hello Bob, Welcome to Wattflyer! You're not being a bore at all, I try to post accurately and in this case, you're right! Sorry I didn't do my research...after reading up on the "Griffen" it seems the Germans squeezed two M/B engines into each nacelle, each pair driving one prop. So it was a 4-engined aircraft, with two props. I saw the photo of the model with 2 nacalles and 2 props and didn't check any further.
http://www.simviation.com/fsdcbainhe177.htm
Thanks for pointing it out!
Regards,
Ron

bosher
12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
You know, it always amazed me that the Germans never had a heavy bomber. I guess there was an obsession with all bombers being able to dive-bomb and a four engined machine - with necessarily longer span - would probably never have been able to do this satisfactorily.

Amazing.

Cheers

Bob

Boomerang
12-18-2006, 11:26 AM
The Heinkel 177 WAS actually designed to dive bomb as well as normal bombing, crazy for a plane approaching the size of a B-17. As a result it was built a lot stronger (and heavier) than it really needed to be with the expected loss of performance/payload. After all that it was never used as a dive bomber. I think it killed more Germans than the enemy. - John.

cyclops2
12-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Stalin also wanted a 4 engined dive bomber. Took some tough and savy designers to resist and not be shot.

Must have been some McNamara penny pinching Genes in Stalin.

1 plane does everything fair, nothing great in combat conditions.