PDA

View Full Version : Need bullets for my P-47

Grasshopper
06-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Well my Park 450 outrunner arrived in the mail this morning. Feeling pretty good about this one since I got it for $41 off e-bay still in the box. I'm putting it in my E-Flite P-47. I thought I had everything here to convert it from a brushed set up but just found out I'm short one female bullet connector. What a Bummer! I was really looking forward to getting it put in tonight and hoped to try it out tomorrow. Unfortunately both local hobby shops are closed tomorrow so I'll have to wait till Monday to get the connectors.

Oh well. At least I got to fly all my planes this morning in beautiful weather.

Life is Good!

firemanbill
06-04-2006, 02:26 AM
don't ya hate it when that happens.:(

I feel for you. I've got 6. Too bad I can't give one to you...

and it does sound like you got a deal on that one!

Twmaster
06-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Solder the one lead missing the bullet to the lead from the ESC. Cover in heat shrink or tape.

Go fly.

Then later when you can get the parts unsolder, install connector, fly some more.

:D

firemanbill
06-04-2006, 02:43 AM
now there is a heck of an idea... how simple yet Brilliant!

Grasshopper
06-04-2006, 04:07 AM
Great idea Mike. However, I just found an old brushed motor with two on it so I should be good to go. Now if I can just get away from some of the Honey Dos tomorrow I might make it happen. Thanks for the input.

Yeah Bill, it was a good deal. I was just about to spring $65 for a new one and lucked out on this one. This is my first brushless motor so I'm really anxious to see the difference.

Tom

firemanbill
06-04-2006, 04:17 AM
This is my first brushless motor so I'm really anxious to see the difference.

Tom

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! you are going to be so thrilled! There is no turning back now... lol

Brushless is kind of like the aero ace deal. One is not enough:eek: :eek: :eek:

after you fly it you'll know what I mean!;)

Twmaster
06-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Uh-oh. He's a' gonna be ruined boss!

:D

Glad you got that problem sorted out GH.

Glacier Girl
06-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Oh my, another one taking that first tentitive step into the "Dark Side"

You'll never be able to go back.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

alienx
06-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Ha, now you never have to wonder if your motor is STILL making full power (or how many flights it actually will last!!).

Grasshopper
06-05-2006, 08:41 PM
I can't wait. I'm gonna try yo work on it tonight. Got the yard mowed last night so hopefully I'll have a clear schedule.

Old Fart
06-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Should run outstanding on the Park 450, I have a "borrowed" P47 (buddy was bored with it) that's running on a 2808-980 Himax

Grasshopper
06-05-2006, 09:33 PM
They fly great don't they?

Old Fart
06-05-2006, 09:38 PM
This one's been pretty abused (he bought it when they first came out), I'm still working on trim issues (likes to dive, but CG is correct)

I need a warbird to fly until I can rebuild my GP Combat Corsair :)

jonnyjetprop
06-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Anybody else having problems with the motor stick coming loose? Preflighted my e-flight 450 powered P-47 and noticed that the stick had come loose. It looks like the foam around the stick was being compressed. When I get home, I'll pull the stick out and fill the gap with thickened epoxy.

John

redgiki
06-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Anybody else having problems with the motor stick coming loose?

This is a common problem, and should have been mentioned in an insert which came with your ARF. I bought mine just a week after release, and it included an insert which cautioned that the motor stick and aileron hinges needed to be tugged firmly to determine if they were mounted securely.

Though both passed the test, within a few weeks they failed it and I had to break out the epoxy :)

Since making those repairs, it hasn't come loose again. Even though I cracked the plastic motor mount on a nose-over!

jonnyjetprop
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
My was OK when I built it, but it must have worked loose over time.

John

Grasshopper
06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Mine was fine when I built it too. I even put some medium CA around it when I built it just for insurance. I noticed last weekend after flying 6 packs through it that it was loose. I mean almost falling out loose. I couldn't believe it didn't pull out in flight and down she goes! I got lucky. When I got home, I took it all the way out and epoxied it back in.

Twmaster
06-08-2006, 02:07 AM
So Grasshappah!

Didja fly that brushless 'Jug yet?

Grasshopper
06-08-2006, 03:32 AM
Hello Mike,

I've got the Park 450 and ESC installed. I wasn't sure about my amp draw though. According to my watt meter, it was drawing an average of 16.8 amps with the highest reading of 17.2 off 3 different battery packs. It was suggested this might be a little on the high side and to change from my E-flite stock 10x8 prop to an APC 9x7.5 or 9x6. I went to the LHS at noon and got an APC 10x5 and 9x6 as that's all they had in stock close to the suggested sizes. I put both of them on the plane a while ago and the 10x5 pulled 12.7 amps at WOT and the 9x6 pulled 12.0 amps. I'm just not sure how these will fly the jug since it came out with a 10x8. I was also a little concerned about going to a smaller diameter prop because of the large cowl. Wadda ya think?

Tom

Twmaster
06-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Well 12 amps at 11.1V is 133W. If the Jug isn't more than 17 or 18 ounces I'd bet it will fly quite well.

What's the little beastie weigh? (the AUW I mean.)

Grasshopper
06-08-2006, 03:50 AM
I'll go out and weigh it in a little bit. I still have to add the nose weight to get the CG correct.

Grasshopper
06-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Ok, with the entire block of clay added to the nose to get it balanced, the AUW is 25 oz. Does anyone know how to make sure the clay stays put? It doesn't say anything about it in the instructions other than to add the weight as necessary.

Twmaster
06-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Does the clay feel like it will stay there? Never heard of gluing clay in! ;)

One dumb question. Did you move as much of the battery and other stuff as far forward as you could?

At 25 ounces you are still at about 85W per pound. She should fly!

Grasshopper
06-08-2006, 04:55 AM
The batteries are all the way forward. As far as the receiver and ESC, they're in the same place they were with the brushed set up. There's not really a lot of space to move them forward and leave room for the battery to be pulled out. The clay just seems like a dorky way to add weight. I just can't see how it will stay in place. I may see if I can find some of the stick on wheel weights at a tire shop and trim them to the same weight. I wouldn't think they would take up as much space as the clay.

redgiki
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
A little bit of packing tape overtop the clay holds it down fine.

I tried running my Jug on a 9x7, and performance was anemic. That big cowl blocked all but about 1 inch of prop on the edges. Go with bigger props -- maybe even 11", as I'm running now -- and less thrust.

My Jug flies superbly on an 11x5. The 10x8 is just too fast for the bird (after flying dozens and dozens of flights on one!) with the Park 450. Lots of flutter in control surfaces, and she doesn't need the speed.

I just broke my last 11x5, though (darn tall-grass landings), so I'm back on the 10x8. It really cooks, and flies it fine.

Grasshopper
06-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks Red, I'm off today and tomorrow so I think I'll spend some quality time at the LHS and pick up some additional props. If I can't find the stick on wheel weights, I'll tape the clay down. Did you put the clay in the plastic cowl or in the nose of the fuselage?

redgiki
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
In the nose of the fuse... I didn't find a good way to attach it to the cowl.

Be sure to set it back a half-inch or so from the front of the foam, as the cowl actually protrudes past the foam when it's seated.

Grasshopper
06-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks Red,

I stopped by Wal-Mart tire center this morning and they gave me some of the stick on wheel weights. They worked great. They come in little 1 oz. sticks but have break points every 1/4 oz. Each section has "1/4 oz" stamped in it and they already have two sided foam tape on them. All you have to do is break off how ever many 1/4 oz pieces you need and stick them on. If you want less tha 1/4 oz you can cut them in half with a pair of side cutters. Mine is all balanced and heading to the field for its Brushless maiden after dinner. The weather is perfect! Keep your fingers crossed! I ended up with the APC 11x5.5 prop. It was pulling 15.2 amps at WOT.