PDA

View Full Version : Beaver Meet the parking lot...

firemanbill
06-04-2006, 07:26 PM
OK, Don't ask what happened because I really do not know:(

I had three flights already today on the Beaver and all was perfect. Not a hint of any problems at all.

This time however I'm cruising along at about 50' just making lazy laps and having fun. The it happens. It banks hard right then back to the left then inverted then WHAM! I was not hot dogging or goofing around in any manner at all.

The only thing I can figure is the elevator servo came loose, or at least it was after wards anyway...

The good news is the Beaver is one of the toughest GWS birds they make in the nose area and that little 400xt is one tough motor. I have broken shafts on eflite motors that didn't hit nearly as hard as this one did.

She'll be back in the air in no time!

Twmaster
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Ouch.

Bill G
06-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I couldn't believe how little damage was done in a recent crash, to my normally perfect flying Beaver. From my perspective, seeing the plane gradually descend into a steeper dive and then watching the wing fly up in the air, after hitting ground, it looked like stuff flew everywhere. In reality there was 1 crack in the elevator, and the floats flew up in the air, only tearing out with a small amount of foam That's it, no other damage. Baffled, I went back and found part of a rubber band, which was quite dryrotted. It was the cause. The rubber bands got old, and slowly allowed the wing incidence to change in flight, until it was uncontrollable.

I always used a number of those crappy GWS bands, but it doesn't matter. I even had recently bought the large Hobbico bands, but they didn't make it on the Beaver. They're on it now, and checked every flight.

The float mounts are now CA glued to two CF spar runners, which are glued to the bottom of the fuse. They run from 1 inch fore of the front mount, along the fuse bottom to the rear mount. 1 spar each on either side of the mounts.

TW, that's actually a pretty hard hit to do that much damage to this tough bird.

Twmaster
06-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I replace my rubber bands after every outing.

It's a cheap way to avoid the problem.

firemanbill
06-04-2006, 08:49 PM
She is tough Bill. After tearing it down the only real damage done was the motor, stick and all were pushed back into the mounting hole.

Believe it or not she is already done and ready to go back out!

thomdoe
06-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Bill G, Again you make me LOL Keith

qban_flyer
06-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Glad to see the damage to your Beaver was easily repairable. :)

Weather here is iffy this afternoon, but off to the CASA field in Rockville, MD I go to meet some friends and fly my AirfoilZ YAK-54, outrunned Micro Whizz and outrunned Lil' Rascal. :D

AHAA!!!s will tag along just in case. :p

firemanbill
06-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Just got back in from a short outing to see how she flies.

For the re, re, re, re, maiden it did quite well:D

Perfect 16 minute flight without incident, did several touch and go's as well and she is just as good as new!. Winds were getting quite gusty too!

Yeah.... I've got my Beaver back!:D

Bill G
06-05-2006, 04:20 AM

Perfect 16 minute flight without incident, did several touch and go's as well and she is just as good as new!. Winds were getting quite gusty too!

Yeah.... I've got my Beaver back!:D

Does the old lady know about this?

They actually do better in winds with the floats. All that low weight makes them more stable. Kinda flys like a pendulum.

qban_flyer
06-05-2006, 04:53 AM

Yeah.... I've got my Beaver back!:DExcellent! :D