PDA

View Full Version : Forward Facing Camera Mod for the Magpie

aviatordave
06-05-2006, 02:24 AM
I got the Hobby Lobby Carbon Fiber Landing Gear after being totally dissatisfied with the stock aluminum gear that came with the kit. I have always landed the Magpie ultra smooth, but with just normal use it gets pretty flimsy.

I also wanted to try my hand at a 'Forward Facing' camera with the Magpie, which as we all know is only a side facing camera plane.

The Gear costs $17.00, and the mount was made from paint stir sticks picked up from Menards (for free).

I flew it tonight and just took video which I will upload later. The gear is pretty strong yet allows enough bounce to act as shock absorbers.

Here are the pictures.....I mounted the camera offset a bit to line the barrel of the camera down the middle of the gear. I get an unobstructed view forward...no wheels and no prop in its view. I'm pretty happy http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Camera used is a Pentax Optio S5Z

-Dave

aviatordave
06-05-2006, 03:15 AM
I got the Hobby Lobby Carbon Fiber Landing Gear after being totally dissatisfied with the stock aluminum gear that came with the kit. I have always landed the Magpie ultra smooth, but with just normal use it gets pretty flimsy.

I also wanted to try my hand at a 'Forward Facing' camera with the Magpie, which as we all know is only a side facing camera plane.

The Gear costs $17.00, and the mount was made from paint stir sticks picked up from Menards (for free).

I flew it tonight and just took video which I will upload later. The gear is pretty strong yet allows enough bounce to act as shock absorbers.

Here are the pictures.....I mounted the camera offset a bit to line the barrel of the camera down the middle of the gear. I get an unobstructed view forward...no wheels and no prop in its view. I'm pretty happy http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Camera used is a Pentax Optio S5Z

-Dave

Here is the movie (11 meg) (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E6F6705F137EF1BE)<edit - link not working> with the forward camera on the Magpie.

I should have waited till the winds died down a bit (12 mph +) but couldnt wait. Its not too bad and I will surely try it again on a nice calm day with some better scenery. This is just a little bit of Fairfax.

Dave

Kosh
06-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Nicely done Dave, The first time you watch the landing you have to think its going to crash but its just the camera angle. You can also try it pointing it backwards for some interesting shots also. Anyways it looks like a nice package and I like the nylon bolts holding it on. I know your motor can overcome it but did you notice more drag on the airframe with the camera pointed forward?

aviatordave
06-06-2006, 04:16 AM
Hey kosh -

On power you dont really notice the camera, but on glide you def. do.
Its a good air brake, hence the steep angle I landed at in the video. It was so windy when I made the video, that was about all I could use. I will surely try it again on a nice calm day. I'd be interested in seeing some flaps for even better ultra slow landings.

Dave

aviatordave
06-12-2006, 04:07 AM
Here is a sample picture that I was going for. The sun was setting which saturated the picture (supposed to be the state of Iowa) on the forward silo. I took about 20 pics before the sun set and its alot easier for me to us the forward facing camera, the extra wind resistance helps slow it down and no blury pics. I'll try to get more examples this week since the weather guy said its supposed to be nice.

aviatordave
09-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Well look what I got in the mail today, a motor mount from Mountain Models!

Not a bad deal, only 3 bucks. Ordered it August 28th and it showed up today.

So what am I going to do with this?

You will have to wait, I'll show you yet another mod I will be making to my Magpie AP.

Dave

A big thanks to Brian @ Mountain Models (Laser Arts)

aviatordave
09-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Just a heads up, the original motor mount is still good. See for yourself! :)

Kosh
09-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I hate it when that happens. :p

So let me guess, Youre going to make your dog fly? :D

aviatordave
09-01-2006, 09:08 PM
LOL, :p We have a wiener dog and he cant even swim (trust me, I have that on video too). But I heard anything is capable of flight with a big enough motor on it!

Kosh
09-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Well he may need 2 motors but he already has the factory installed landing gear. Add some servos to the ears and you have forward canards.

Grasshopper
09-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Weiner dogs are really pretty aerodynamic and with a set of landing gear on front and back, they come in pretty nice. Stock models need to come in a little hot but if you add Kosh's flaps on him, he would probably do great.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Hitch
09-01-2006, 09:34 PM
<edit - link not working>

Any chance you can upload that video somewhere else? Id really like to see the video.

Kosh
09-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Hitch and welcome to Wattflyer, When Dave gets home he can send me the file and we will get up and working tonight for you. Getting the dog airborne will just have to wait.

Hitch
09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Much appreciated.
Getting the dog airborne does sound like a fun project though.

Grasshopper
09-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Much appreciated.
Getting the dog airborne does sound like a fun project though.

Especially if it's someone elses dog.

Susantd
09-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Kosh has been threatening to make my dog fly for months. Wicket (my shih-tzu) hasn't ok'd this flight so far.....

Kosh
09-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Its still my belief that Wicket was shaking so badly because he wanted to fly. :p

aviatordave
09-02-2006, 04:53 AM
I'll have to get that video tomorrow, I'm on the laptop right now and dont have access.

PETA would be interested in our dog project!

Kosh
09-02-2006, 04:59 AM
PETA may need there own airline tickets, There just to heavy for this project. Now what dog wouldn't want to go for a car ride and hang there head out the window. Its the same thing only without the car. :D :eek:

(Disclaimer) "Wattflyer in no way condones flying Dogs or any other small furry mammals from planes." But I say what the heck, If your dog really wants to fly who am I to stop you. :D

JediFlyer
09-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I dont know...I could test my gravity theories with some PETA members :D;)

aviatordave
09-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Any chance you can upload that video somewhere else? Id really like to see the video.

Here ya go Hitch. Its only 11 meg so I was able to load it on my website. (I'll send Kosh the real big files - thanks Kosh :) )

Nothing special, just a lap around Fairfax (IOWA not VIRGINIA :p :) ) <--we have the same town names

First try forward video (http://app3.websitetonight.com/projects/3/2/4/5/32459/uploads/Movie.wmv)

A little vibration at full throttle, but I have isolated that since the video.

Dave

aviatordave
09-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Well here is the motor mount assembled, and attached to 5 inch risers made from lite ply. I think everyone knows what is going to happen next. The paint is drying so I will attach it to plane tomorrow. If Mother Nature says so, I will give it a flight test and get a ground / inflight video too.

cya,

Dave

up_ya_go
09-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Well strike a light Dave .... that video was very enjoyable ... well done !
Cheers
Ray

aviatordave
09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Here is the new motor mount attached to the plane. It sits 5 inches higher than the stock mount location. The angle of the new motor mount is the same as the old, its perfectly parallel to ensure I get close to the same flying effects as before.

As you can see from the pictures, we have had rain all day and more is expected (Thanks for that Washington Rain Kosh :p !!).

The mount allows the prop to be completely out of the picture as my camera is facing frontward. I plan to install a digital live feed so that I can see what my camera sees as well as install a tilt servo to the camera tray (thats coming soon !).

I'll try to get out tomorrow and get some pictures and video.

Dave

(Glad you liked the video Ray....more to come!)

aviatordave
09-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Well it worked and it didnt work.

Here is a 9 meg video of a take off, fly around and landing. That worked fine.

The bonus is that I can get a pilots view of the flight with the horizon in the picture. That works Great! and I am pleased.

What didnt work you ask? Well I have a 12 x 8e APC prop swinging 4 inches higher than before. The "P" factor has more of an affect on the plane than before (I'll post a video of the result...) With a 10 inch prop I think all will be well, but I need to run some numbers first. the 12 inch prop is livable, but can be a problem in tight quarters.

So yes it works....but I need a smaller prop.

Here is the video

First attempt video (http://app3.websitetonight.com/projects/3/2/4/5/32459/uploads/forward1.wmv)

If anyone has ideas, bring them on!

Oh yea, the plane is a tad less responsive due to the props wind off the surface area, but a little more throw will cure that.

Dave

(any one here have moto-calc?)

Kosh
09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Thats great looking video Dave and a worthwhile mod to think over. Try a 11x7 prop and see how she does with that. That angle of the camera opens up a whole new world and really lets you see everything. :)

Now that we got that mod done its time to make your dog fly. Wiener dogs are a little soft in the middle and may need some carbon fiber to stiffen him up but I'm sure he wont mind. Just make him a slope glider for now and worry about powering him later. Oh yea, Make use of those ears. :p

radioyankee
09-09-2006, 05:53 AM
i must say that your video is very impressive. i have been looking for a while to obtain these kind of results. do you know the range of the video transmitter to ground distance? thanks a lot

aviatordave
09-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Radioyankee - onboard is just a regular 5 megapixel camera with video capabilities. The camera is a Pentax Optio s5z (do a google search to see what it looks like and costs) I was flying with just line of sight.

thanks - Dave

Don E
09-11-2006, 04:20 PM
I like it! And I have an idea. (more of a question really)
When you move your motor to above the centerline of the plane does'nt it create a "lever effect" that pushes the nose down with an increase in throttle?

I noticed this when I put a brushless motor on the Wingo. I had to raise the motor to get a larger prop to fit. Then had to change the thrust angle to get it to fly right. Because the motor was behind the wing I had to add down thrust to counteract the "Lever effect". So does a tractor prop do the same thing when you move it? And if so would up thrust help then?

Something to think about.
Don

aviatordave
09-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey Don,

I cant say I noticed that effect when I flew the plane.....I usually fly no more than 2/3 throttle on take offs, and the rest is just gentle flying. But you have a good point, I'll try a full throttle setting and see what it does. The main thing I noticed was that the elevator/rudder were not as effective as when the prop was at the centerline, but still worked ok.

Here is a slowstick with basically the same thing (more professional looking than mine). I didnt recall anyone having that problem, but I'll look thru some old threads and see if that was brought up.

here is the SLOWSTICK (http://www.askmanap.com/stick.html)

Dave

Don E
09-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Dave,

If it works, don't fix it.

Now I'm guessing it might have been the difference between having the prop in the middle (behind the CG) or having it in the front. Rather than the height change. Still, unless it screws somthing else up that I don't know about, a little bit of up thrust would put more wind over the tail.

The Slow Stick looks like it maintains some down thrustfor the tractor, and I cant really tell on the pusher, but I Like that contraption he's got hanging off of the front of it. Seems like you'd need two people to run that rig. You going to build one of those?

I got my CF landing gear the other day. Did you do anything special, or just mount it like the original gear?

Thanks

Don

aviatordave
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I got my CF landing gear the other day. Did you do anything special, or just mount it like the original gear?

Thanks

Don

Don, I just mounted like the normal gear, its been tested and proved itself on a couple of my 'not so pretty' landings. Its got enough spring in it to absorb the cushion of a landing. I also used the same hardware from the magpie to connect the wheels to the landing gear.

As far as the slow stick...I heard they really changed the design and it isnt as strong as the first. (wings are made from a thinner material and the fuse is in 2 pieces now) The fact that the wind grounded th plane keeps me away as here in Iowa its wide open and there is usually a good breeze.

Dave

Don E
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Don, I just mounted like the normal gear, its been tested and proved itself on a couple of my 'not so pretty' landings. Its got enough spring in it to absorb the cushion of a landing. I also used the same hardware from the magpie to connect the wheels to the landing gear.

As far as the slow stick...I heard they really changed the design and it isnt as strong as the first. (wings are made from a thinner material and the fuse is in 2 pieces now) The fact that the wind grounded th plane keeps me away as here in Iowa its wide open and there is usually a good breeze.

Dave

Sweet.

Thanks for the landing gear info.

Just to clarify, I don't really want a Slow stick. I was talking about the Pan tilt camera holder thing that was on the modified pusher Slow Stick from the link you posted. Looks cool but I dont think I'm ready for that kind of complexity yet.

Does the forward facing camera work well for pictures, or do you just do video with it?

Thanks

Don

aviatordave
09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
oh ya....lol - I thought about that after I posted. His camera tilt is pretty complex, more than mine is right now. I think that he took most of that design from an AP heli. If you look on his site he has a video that you can watch called 'Qualicity..." he actually moved the camera tilt while in flight from a slowstick, pretty neat. It can be a one man job, but you have to be good at flying 'under the hood' as they call it.

The forward facing camera gives (me) a better chance at framing up shots. I just aint no good at trying to get something lined up with the camera facing the side. Alot of guys can do this...I'm just challenged. I remember going out to get a shot of a building, taking about 50-75 photos, landing and viewing them only to find out I was missing most of what I wanted, I have some forward shots...not alot. Video is such a blast that I have done that more than photos. I plan to get out this week and get some shots of a school for the contest, I'll post more results here as well.

The last week the plane has been grounded, I was pacticing takeoffs to see what minimal throttle setting would look the best when I looked away at some kids on the other side of the field, needless to say - I bent the shaft on my gearbox. I got the new replacement one yesterday so now I am back in business. I'll post a small video of how to bend your gearbox shaft tonight maybe. you have to laugh at your mistakes.....

Dave

Don E
09-12-2006, 07:20 PM
D'oh!!!
Thats kind'a how I felt when I folded the stock landing gear off of my Magpie.

Oh well. Now I know. LOL

I've had pretty good luck with the side view for pictures, but video out the side makes my head ache. Besides, I just got a camera that can do 640x480 30fps yesterday, so I really haven't had the chance to do anything with video yet. I'm not even sure that my computer is fast enough. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my wife that we "need" a new computer for something other than "hobby use"... and it's raining today>(

Looking forward to the video.

Don

aviatordave
09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
So what camera did you get? or did I read it somewhere else and forget??? just curious, what computer are you using, we might be able to help you yet.

Dave

Don E
09-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Computer is a PII 350mhz. I've nursed it along as long as I can. It just needs to be replaced.

The new camera is a casio ex-s500. I was looking at the panasonic lumix series, but got this one because it's lighter and less $$. I'll see if I can find a school with it before the end of this months contest. (I didn't miss it yet did I ? )

Don

aviatordave
09-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Don -

Computer = OUCH :eek:

Camera = GOOD :)

Your right, you will have to talk to your domestic boss and upgrade. Even if its a cheap Best-Buy ($250.00) model, its worth it.

You have till the 21st of Sept to get a school pic in.

Dave

aviatordave
09-25-2006, 03:41 AM
Started out fine, checked everything and looked good. Plugged everything in and took off.

1.) This is where the left side gear bolt came out and my landing gear turned sideways just after liftoff.

So I am like..well since I am up I may as well get some shots.....right?

2.) This is where the motor mount gave way. Really bad noise coming from 150 feet up

So I immediately kill throttle. Noise is gone and I have full control. So I apply throttle slowly, noise comes back. Crap! time to land with sideways gear. I actually landed it with no forward momentum since I had enough headwind. Camera and everthing else is OK!!!

See pics below for carnage. I modded my magpie for forward facing camera. The amount of leverage the motor has is too much for the area that is attached to the fuse. I guess that makes sense and I should have done something there. My fault for overseeing that.

Dave

Here is a short (1 meg) video of how lose the mount was during flying. (it was nice and snug prior to takoff)

Broken Motor Mount (http://app3.websitetonight.com/projects/3/2/4/5/32459/uploads/motor_mount.wmv)

And this is the reason today I did not get a school photo for the contest. Good thing its been extended!

aviatordave
09-26-2006, 04:17 AM
Made a 'brace' to strengthen the area that the mount is connected to. The weight of the wood was minimal, so I dont think it will affect flight performance. I also painted it in 'aviatordave flat black' :)

So now I am all ready to try another sortie...maybe tomorrow ??? we'll see :)

Dave

aviatordave
10-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Now that we got that mod done its time to make your dog fly. Wiener dogs are a little soft in the middle and may need some carbon fiber to stiffen him up but I'm sure he wont mind. Just make him a slope glider for now and worry about powering him later. Oh yea, Make use of those ears. :p

Not my dog but would this work? I should give it a try :p

Kosh
10-23-2006, 05:43 AM
LOL ... Looks like he has a pretty short glide slope but with enough power he should fly. :eek:

Kosh
10-25-2006, 12:10 AM
We bribed our resident stunt dog Siroc with a double cheeseburger into trying on some wings. He had full concentration on the burger so I could get some pics. Siroc was NOT harmed in anyway other than his pride perhaps. There was a small casualty when a squirrel fell out of a tree (No dought from laughing at us) and he took off after it. :eek:
Were still working on finding his CG point but I think were close now.:p

aviatordave
10-25-2006, 03:35 AM
now thats funny...:D

We can put him on the greyhound track and let that little rabbit out. If he gets going fast enough he might take flight.

Hey..where does the camera go on him???......it has to be AP!

I'll have to hook up some wings to my weiner dog....he only weighs about 7 lbs, so I'll have to get some smaller wings. Of course since his body is long, he should fly ok since he wont be short coupled.

The things we do to 'Mans Best Friend' :cool:

Dave

Kosh
10-25-2006, 04:03 AM
now thats funny...:D

Hey..where does the camera go on him???......it has to be AP!

Dave

We only did taxi test today but the camera goes right on the collar so its forward facing this way you don't get that flaying landing gear in the way.
We also noted that the landing gear cant be stopped once airborne until touchdown. Forward facing ears are bad news so they will have to be glued down but its a small price to pay.;)

Note: As a slope glider he only needs 193 MPH winds to stay up. AUW is 47 pounds and should get close to 20 minutes of flight time per cheeseburger if all goes well. :)

aviatordave
12-17-2006, 07:01 PM
I took these today, not alot of sun but the winds were down. I used the magpie with the camera facing backwards and that seemed to work well. I would fly over the building and as soon as I passed it I would start triggering the camera as I keep flying away. This resulted in closeups and far shots all from the same angle. I did this 4 times to get different views of the building. I spent less than 10 minutes in the air and used about 15 photos...which 2-3 were out of frame. All were well focused.

I think taking pictures with the camera works best for me and the magpie can be a quite versatile ap platform.

(thanks to Kosh for showing me that great deal on the 15C 2100 lipo...all kinds of power!)

Dave

**I'm going to put one of these in a christmas card....I'll post that later today

aviatordave
12-17-2006, 07:03 PM
yuk...the download software really pixed up the photos...I'll edit them on my desktop later today

Sparky Paul
12-17-2006, 07:20 PM
"p effect" effect?
Nose down or a lateral thrust?
If nose down, add upthrust to the motor.

Kosh
12-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Looking at that flag you had some wind to deal with so well done. I was only able to spot you in photo #2 (I think thats you). Well composed shots Dave thanks for sharing again. :)

aviatordave
12-18-2006, 04:35 AM
"p effect" effect?
Nose down or a lateral thrust?
If nose down, add upthrust to the motor.

thats where I goofed up. After I raised the motor I left the same downthrust....where I should have changed it to upthrust. I didnt like the effect of having no air over the rudder on takeoff and just put the motor back where it belonged. I can still take forward shots, but have to angle the camera down just out of the prop. I have since experimented with rear facing and think that is my niche.

aviatordave
12-18-2006, 04:37 AM
Looking at that flag you had some wind to deal with so well done. I was only able to spot you in photo #2 (I think thats you). Well composed shots Dave thanks for sharing again. :)

yea there was a little wind, but it was manageable. As long as the magpie is in the air with that motor/battery combo, I can deal with that and more. Landings and takeoffs can be a little hairy :eek:

aviatordave
12-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Here is the Christmas card, cost about 50 cents from Wallyworld. I used my 'Red-Neck Scanner' (took a picture...lol) so it looks dark for some reason. I was trying to get the light glare off it...oh well you'll see it and maybe some of you can try it with your family or friends.

Dave

aviatordave
12-18-2006, 04:58 AM
OK..last time I bug you guys tonight....lol

Here is what the magpie looks like with the camera facing rearwards. I have it aimed just so that the tail of the plane is out of the picture. I think I will leave the plane like this as it is the easiest way for me to take pictures.

Dave

radioflyer75
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
What breed of dog is that with the wings?

aviatordave
12-18-2006, 05:27 AM
big dog or small dog? the small one is a miniature dachshund, not sure what the big one is...Kosh might know

Kosh
12-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Big thanks for the pics Dave the rearward shots are great. Siroc the dog with the red wings and is my friends but I borrow him for some of my movies and pics. Siroc's a Australian cattle dog, aka Blue Heeler and is not really RC compatible but we try anyways. :D

nakelp86
12-24-2006, 03:19 AM
OK..last time I bug you guys tonight....lol

Here is what the magpie looks like with the camera facing rearwards. I have it aimed just so that the tail of the plane is out of the picture. I think I will leave the plane like this as it is the easiest way for me to take pictures.

Dave

this set up its even safer for the camera/lens.
With my new Mpie I will try to get a bit taller LG to avoid the prop for forward looking shoots