PDA

View Full Version : New Camera Pics and Video

Kosh
06-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Got to play around with the new Panasonic FX01 Lumix yesterday at a local RC Hydro race on Pleasant Lake. I had planned to do lots of AP there but after the first flight changed my mind in a hurry. The lake is surrounded on all four sides and l had to takeoff and land a half block away and walk to the site, No small feat with the 200' plane killing trees all around. I'm sure plenty thought I was nuts walking down the road looking up at something they couldn't see. Once over the lake I'm hit with major downdrafts at one end and shifting 25mph gusts on the other so I had my hands full just keeping it airborne and not crashing into the 200+ spectators there. My plan was to follow the hydros at 60' to 80' up around the course but that proved to be impossible so I went to plan B.

I had no plan B :eek: It was more of just self preservation than anything else so I made a 12 dozen passes for pics with very few hitting there target but I have some great photos of tree tops now.:D The wind is picking up even more so I start walking back to the landing area thinking I have used about 3/4th of my battery by now. I'm half way back and the motor dies of course from fighting the wind so now I'm a glider. Thankfully the Magpie glides handsfree well but I'm not even close to where I need to be to land. As I'm looking around there are just trees and now where to land really then it dawned on me, Use two 6' Evergreen trees as a cushion and land the plane between them. By now I'm running to the future crash site so I can guide it in like a smart bomb. Circling, circling, IMPACT !!!:eek:

Right where I planned, At least for a non landing site.:D
I raced for the plane and give it the once over, WOW no damage.
While heading back to the car thinking, Boy I must really be having fun now as I'm covered in sweat from excessive fun time:p

Thankfully I didn't send the Lumix camera up but will soon so the AP pics here are from a Nikon 3700 and others and video is from Lumix. Ground photos are all in 16:9 format

Short one minute video from ground: 15.8 MB
Please right click and "Save Target As" on link
http://www.cascadeap.com/Hydro Race.wmv

Enjoy, Kosh

Keith43221
06-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Nice pictures! The last two look real!

Cowboy
06-06-2006, 02:52 AM
So Kosh do you like the Lumix? Or is it to soon to know. I see where you can get it for 265 , did you find a better price?

aviatordave
06-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Good story, glad that everything worked out. Just think how nervous you would be if that Lumix was up there. Thats my 'PLAN B' as well.....if the landing needs to be aborted, try to crash softly. The video quality is nice...thats converted from .mov to .wmv so that means that the original is even better. I'll look forward to some airborne pics. If ya can try to get both bright sunny days and overcast so we can see how she performs. Thanks for posting

Dave

Cowboy
06-06-2006, 04:44 AM
Dave
Kosh lives in Seattle, he can get cloudy and sunny in the same video and maybe even rain.

aviatordave
06-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Dave
Kosh lives in Seattle, he can get cloudy and sunny in the same video and maybe even rain.

Even though the weather is 'iffy' at times, I'd trade the landscape with what I have here. I'm envious of you WA guys, had alot of fun out there. I'm really more interested in pictures than video. Seems like most of the posts have nice sunny days in the pics, but if a camera can pull off good 'not so sunny' days, I'd be happy with that cuz it would opeen up more days for AP.

Dave

Cowboy
06-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Dave
I understand what you were asking, just making fun of the weather we have been having lately. I Like your location, yawn .......Iowa.

Kosh
06-06-2006, 05:05 AM
Cowboy, I paid $280 so you have a better price and so far I cant find any real faults with the camera. Upon reading the manual if its set to continues it will snap a pic once every second until half the card is filled then every 1.5 seconds after. The menu is easy to understand and access fast for changes. Shot over 100 pics yesterday and a few videos just to test the different lighting conditions and I think its a winner.

Dave, The owner of Pleasant Lake hired me again to re shoot his place with my new camera. (I'm already sweating ... lol)
Thankfully he wants the whole place so that means higher shots, safe field and no pesky trees this time I hope. Overcast days are not a problem here but getting sun sometimes takes weeks of waiting but I will do my best. I'm armed with a plan C now also that can be pulled off as last resort. Catch the plane by hand. :eek:
I put C/F on the L/E when I built it and tested that out today with 7 out of 8 catches by hand. Although it snapped rubber bands on the wings a few times there was no other damage. Flaps or your air brake camera idea my prove to work much better though in the long run.