PDA

View Full Version : Anything good to say about GP Hellcat?

geo8498@mac.com
06-06-2006, 03:37 AM
I was waiting for this plane just like everyone. Now I've been reading some posts that have made me rethink getting the Great Plane Hellcat. Mostly aileron issues from what I'm understanding. Does anyone have good things to say about this plane?

I just crashed my Alfa P47, after having rebuilt it so many times. She's a goner at this point. I love that plane, but my budget doesn't allow me to get another Alfa right now. The only thing that I see around that might be a close runner up is the Great Planes Hellcat. $70 is easier to swallow right now than $100-$120.

I already have a couple GWS warbirds, Zero and Mustang. I'd like a notch up on a nicer, higher caliber plane than GWS. Maybe between $50 -$70

Can anybody recommend a suitable replacement for my P47? Something I can put the same gear in and that I can use small Lipos in, like TP1320's. I'm thinking the 16oz range.

Kit or ARF, built-up or foam. Preferably a warbird, but maybe something of similar performance.

Would the GP Hellcat be a great disappointment?

Kosh
06-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Compared to a GWS plane I think you will find plenty lacking although others may think its great. I just have to go by what I learned from buying one. It replaced the A-10 as the most sucky aircraft purchased so far.

The Good:
According to the dog it has a soft chewy outer skin with a nice crisp center, It lacked the flavor of dupron but makes up for it with the crunchy wing spares. Hope to have some video up this week of this planes well deserved end. If you really want a good flying Hellcat I have a "Scorpio F6F Hellcat" new in box I could part with. Great Planes version soured me so much I just don't even want to try it now.

alienx
06-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Sorry, I don't own one, but I was hoping you could tell me about your P47. Like everyone that has flown one, I love my E-flite P47. I wanted to get the Alfa one too but am not really happy yet with the nose-high attitude of my new Alfa P51. I am hopeful I just haven't got it quite balanced yet.

So what is your impression of the Alfa P47? Any balancing issues? Can you get it to fly nicely under power? You can PM me if you like. Sorry if I am off topic here.

Andy

geo8498@mac.com
06-08-2006, 03:12 AM
I loved my Alfa P47. She lasted me about two years until this last windy day side wack into the ground. I knew it was too windy to fly, and I was being overconfident.

It flies (flew)great. Light wing loading. Tended to pull left at launch and wanted to climb, but some of that I attribute to it being old and banged up. It didn't seem to be so bad when it was new.

Last year an overly friendly dog stepped on it, and she was never quite the same after that. I'm surprised I kept it going as long as I did. But I liked it so much, and it was more expensive than my other planes, I went the extra mile to keep doing repairs.

One reason that I'm hesitant to buy another Alfa is mostly because there's no way to replace a broken part. I never could find a replacement cowl.

Bill G
09-07-2006, 06:16 AM
Anything good to say about GP Hellcat?

All kinds. I didn't like it at first, but I figured out the setup, and love it now. Very smooth, graceful flyer. Flys well on low rate. I'm using a geared 12mm Feigo, and wouldn't change it for the world. Decent power, and light, which may be why it flys so well.

The elevator must be set with the bottom flat, and the top curved like an airfoil, or you'll go straight up on launch. For whatever reasons, I always have a bit of yanking around getting it going, but is very smooth as soon as its flying.

The aileron rods are too tight. Replace them with .015" music wire from your LHS. It sounds thin, but it doesn't kink. Just make sure to bottom out your aileron servo's EZ link screw before installing, so you don't get "tricked" into thinking its tight, when its not.

Glue the elevator pushrod well to the inside of the fuse. Its under some stress, and you don't want it to pop off, and put you into full down elevator in flight. GP's tape securing scheme is just laughable.

Glass the inner bottom of the cowl with lightweight glass. Just the bottom about say 3 inches arond the diameter. If not, you'll be glassing the outside like I did, after cracking it up.

The factory cg setting seems good. Rolls well. I found the trick is to start down elevator a bit early, to help it over. Inverts well too.

Got a bunch of flights, and a few repairs:eek: on it now. Looks a bit like its been through the war, but a good plane. It is not, however, the same as an Alfa. The foam is softer, and the control surfaces, especially elevator, are a bit stiff, as they are stamped into the foam, and not a smooth as Alfa's hinging.

mgrande11
04-02-2010, 05:40 AM
The biggest issues with the hellcat is the stock motor is trash, the ailerons are too tight, the battery hatch is a P.I.T.A. way to small, overall I'd say save your ducketts and get a parkzone warbird that has the stock brushless setup.

ministeve2003
04-02-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't know how much work your wanting to do, but have you looked at the bigger GWS P40... the foam is different (denser) and if you do a decent job painting it it could be really nice, prob a floater with a lightweight setup, or a speed demon with a little better one... I've been contemplating doing one myself, a fellow flyer just got one to do and is going to put the stock stuff from a t28 into it...

Wingspan is 39"
AUW is supposed to be 22-28oz

Plane runs around $60

http://karglusa.com/airplanekits.aspx

SK

Grasshopper
04-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I doubt the OP is going to respond. The thread is almost 4 years old and he hasn't logged in for 2 1/2 years. :o

Bill G
04-03-2010, 05:36 AM
I doubt the OP is going to respond. The thread is almost 4 years old and he hasn't logged in for 2 1/2 years. :o
About the same amount of time the Hellcat has been off the shelves. :D
Never know though Tom, as he could come back from that other place. They get canned by the day over there. :Q

mgrande11
04-04-2010, 04:00 AM
The wing fell off of mine mid flight, what a POS!

Bill G
04-12-2010, 04:49 AM
The wing fell off of mine mid flight, what a POS!
The plane falls into the category of a number of ARFs, where it requires rework out of the box. Once done, it is a great plane. The wing reinforcement retainer was glued onto the wrong side of the wing on mine. :D The aileron wire took 20oz of force to move :eek: and was replace with .015 music wire. I fastened the hell out of the elevator cable to the fuse inner. With the recommended tape securing method, in the event that it falls off, then you will likely get full down elevator, and level elevator with full pull up, if you're lucky. It also requires that the elevator be set neutrally such that the bottom of the elevator is completely flat across the entire stabilizer. Move the elevator up one mm, and the plane will go straight up on launch.

The PKZ Frankie is in the same class. I bought a replacement wing for a project that never happened. What a piece of crap. Eventually, I bought the remainder of the airframe in parts, due to "aw what the hell" syndrome. Replaced control surface hinges with real pin hinges, epoxied a number of seams and areas, with a bit of additional reinforcement in key areas, and used a Sullivan Gold cable for the ailerons. With a BL outrunner, the plane is an excellent flyer. I only flew it once, as I'm really not a P51 fan, but it launched, flew, and landed as good as they get. I'm sure this isn't the "out of the box" :eek: experience many have reported.

Kosh
04-12-2010, 05:30 AM
WOW...

We have over a dozen of these flying on our field above 100 MPH with no mods on brushless BP outrunners.. There are NO design flaws in this plane and I fly mine almost daily.

ministeve2003
04-12-2010, 05:33 AM
HellCat, or Hellcat foamy?
LOL

SK

Kosh
04-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Foamy, I dont do wood planes !!!

ministeve2003
04-12-2010, 05:47 AM
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/9/6/3/8/t919408-225-thumb-f4uf6f-42.jpg?d=1153306031

or

http://www.electrifly.com/discontinued/gpma1196-main.jpg

LOL, I was just jokeing...

Flatout doing 100mph...LOL

mgrande11
04-13-2010, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE=Kosh;710202]WOW...

We have over a dozen of these flying on our field above 100 MPH with no mods on brushless BP outrunners.. There are NO design flaws in this plane and I fly mine almost daily.[/QUOTE

Didn't you say you were gonna feed it to your dog.

Bill G
04-14-2010, 09:43 PM
WOW...

We have over a dozen of these flying on our field above 100 MPH with no mods on brushless BP outrunners.. There are NO design flaws in this plane and I fly mine almost daily.They're not all the same. They had a batch where the pushrod cables were installed incorrectly, and I got one from that batch, as well as my wing mount reinforcer installed incorrectly. You would have needed a standard servo to have a chance of working the cable, with 20oz of force needed to budge it. I had heard that GP had problems finding a manufacturer to build them correctly, which is why it took so long for them to get released originally. Still an excellent plane once everything is correct.

mgrande11
04-16-2010, 01:55 AM
This another one of my damned planes.

LipoPilot
04-16-2010, 03:55 AM
The most pitiful GP plane I have ever owned, was my first warbird and made me never buy from GP again...Lost this customer.

LipoPilot
04-16-2010, 03:59 AM
WOW...

We have over a dozen of these flying on our field above 100 MPH with no mods on brushless BP outrunners.. There are NO design flaws in this plane and I fly mine almost daily.

WoW miss this crazy post...Ha I would love to see this plane in video at 100mph and stay together...atleast the one I got wouldnt do 20 without something falling off it in flight.

LipoPilot
04-16-2010, 04:01 AM
My post on this plane... http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44413

Bill G
04-17-2010, 01:23 PM
WoW miss this crazy post...Ha I would love to see this plane in video at 100mph and stay together...atleast the one I got wouldnt do 20 without something falling off it in flight.
100 is seemingly a bit fast, but the best setup I had in it was a long can 400-4100kv on something like 3:1 with I believe an 8x4 Master Airscrew prop. Basically straight vertical on launch. The interesting this is that with the added airflow over the tail, even when you're horsing the plane around doing manouevers that kill the speed, it no longer had the snap issues that it previously had with less power. It was one of the most positive controlled aircraft I ever had. I had thought about buying another at the LHS, but it's gone now. My buddy had mine, and I even bought a new cowl for him. The rest of the airplane is quite repaired though, but still flyable.

As far as stuff falling off in flight, the way I look at an ARF is like this: Since you don't have to build a kit, spend time reworking what needs to be done. I know that is NOT what ARF means, but it is reality. The hot glue used on these planes is lacking, and I did have to reinforce the tail gluing, wing mount, and other reworks discussed previously. After a few planes under one's belt, the initial rework list is second nature, and you just do what it takes to have a good plane. I bought a PKZ Frankie as replacement parts, and I can tell you it was absolute junk. Reworking what the plane needed, it is an excellent flyer. If they had came stock with the reworks done, they would have been raved.

cyclops2
04-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Means to me. They can do ALL the hard parts. SHAPING all the parts nicer, than I can do when I feel like it.I carve up blue foam. I know how much time it takes to find the plans. Enlarge them. Do 3 sets. 1 is for the OUTSIDE templates.I know how times flies. Real fast. For only about $ 40 to $ 60 .ARF ARF ARF.
The 2 planes below only cost me about $ 40 each to carve & sand. No RC gear.