PDA

View Full Version : Alfa P51 receiver question

arck
06-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Hi Alfa p51 owners, I'm just finished my brand new alfa p51, my only problem is where do you guys put the antenna receiver, from inside the plane, outside with clear tape?,,,,
All answers were useful thanks,,,

jonnyjetprop
06-07-2006, 02:22 AM
I had a P-47. Mounted it on the outside with a piece of clear tape. I have an E-flight P47 with this mounted on the inside.

http://www.ecubedrc.com/antennas.htm

Works great and its hidden inside.

John

alienx
06-07-2006, 02:54 AM
I poked a pushrod through the tail from theoutside and then pulled the wire back out the tail. It clears the back of the plane nicely.

arck
06-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks a lot I will try Alienx form, maybe its better to protect the antenna and to avoid paint problems with the clear tape.

arck
06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Had anybody try the bergs 4L receiver in this kind of plane?, wich is better the electron 6 more weight or the bergs one,,

alienx
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I use the Hitec Micro 05S. I fly mostly alone in a park and these are light. Only single-conversion, but I haven't had any problems.

arck
06-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi alienx, in some moment I try to buy yours but there was not so for my channel (16), so my other option was to buy the bergs 4L and the hitec 6 electron, think I will prove the berg since it is less heavy.

alienx
06-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi alienx, in some moment I try to buy yours but there was not so for my channel (16), so my other option was to buy the bergs 4L and the hitec 6 electron, think I will prove the berg since it is less heavy.

I think you will be fine. The lectron 6 seems to be very popular, but it is hard to justify the weight in a 15oz model.

I am 14oz AUW with the Mocro 05s, so there would have been room for the Electron 6. But I guess I will save it for a bigger plane.

Let me know how yours flies. I am still trying to get mine balanced!!

arck
06-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Alienx, here in my country are not popular all that has to do with electrics, so I'm alone with this, all my field partners are glow addicts, so is hard for me to ask someone if I have any problems with my E planes, so far I have four glow planes (Tiger 60, Piper cherokee, shunami and a hobbistar 60) all these planes are hanged in my hangar since I know that electrics are much better, my E-planes are one yak 55(foamy), one su27 xxl (foamy), one sirius hotliner(is a blast), three E pylon racer Jonas design(speedster), one skyfly, one superstar EP select and my brand new p51 from Alfa, with these plane I want to make in my field partners a question face, aha this is electric?
Thanks for your support
If you want to see my field here in my country this is my personal web page: http://www.rcperu.com , on Saturday I will make my first fly, all is ready, and will take Photos to post here.

alienx
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM
That's a beautiful field you have to fly in. I think you will be a very popular person once they all see how nicely your electrics fly. My favorite is the e-flite P-47 so far. It takes a little work to keep it in the air because it is weak foam, but it flies very very well!

Good luck on the Maiden. Make sure to post pics or video!!

arck
06-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, I will make a short video and some pics,,,,

arck
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
My first experience with the alfa p51 was horrible, I told a friend to hold the plane 25 grades up, then full power, full up elevator, the plane made a loop near the ground, the result was the nose totally break :( , the mpjet its OK, I trying to fix the nose with epoxi at home but its difficult because the weak foam, WHAT could happened, any suggestions to repair the nose?, why the plane immediately made an incontrolable loop?,,, any opinion?

alienx
06-12-2006, 03:34 PM
full up elevator

Sorry man. If I read you correctly, you were WAY out of trim as it left your hand. Mine still flies nose high on its own. Launching it with an upward pointing toss, AND full up elevator is a disaster waiting to happen.

If you have anything close to a 9x6 prop, it was probably making enough power to loop out of your hand. If not, it probably would have veered to one side abruptly and nosed in.

Sorry to hear about it. It would be interesting to see any video you may have. We could get a sense of what actually happened. But I think I am correct.

arck
06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Sorry man. If I read you correctly, you were WAY out of trim as it left your hand. Mine still flies nose high on its own. Launching it with an upward pointing toss, AND full up elevator is a disaster waiting to happen.

If you have anything close to a 9x6 prop, it was probably making enough power to loop out of your hand. If not, it probably would have veered to one side abruptly and nosed in.

Sorry to hear about it. It would be interesting to see any video you may have. We could get a sense of what actually happened. But I think I am correct.

Thanks alienx, it was terrible, today I will post some pics of the crashed plane I'm still repairing but don't know if he could fly again,,,,,he need to much epoxy to fix the nose, hope will under 500grms,,,,

alienx
06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks alienx, it was terrible, today I will post some pics of the crashed plane I'm still repairing but don't know if he could fly again,,,,,he need to much epoxy to fix the nose, hope will under 500grms,,,,

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. I'm sure you probably had an oz or two to play with. Is it the nose behind the motor mount that compressed, or just the cowl? Either way, you can do a lot with things like CA and fiberglass and spackle. The important thing is the motor and other gear survived.

arck
06-12-2006, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. I'm sure you probably had an oz or two to play with. Is it the nose behind the motor mount that compressed, or just the cowl? Either way, you can do a lot with things like CA and fiberglass and spackle. The important thing is the motor and other gear survived.

Its the nose with the cowl, it breaks in two peaces, and the fuselage compressed near the battery hatch,,,,,I think epoxy its better due the power of red mpjet and the trust of the 9x6 prop,,,

alienx
06-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Its the nose with the cowl, it breaks in two peaces, and the fuselage compressed near the battery hatch,,,,,I think epoxy its better due the power of red mpjet and the trust of the 9x6 prop,,,

Go ahead and post some pictures if you can stand looking at it. I'd like to see what kind of damage they get. I haven't crashed mine yet, but it is still far from a balanced flyer!!

arck
06-12-2006, 05:30 PM
We must wait until the afternoon because I'm in my office at the port in this moment 35km far away and forget to bring my camera in the morning, but I will go to eat at home so I will bring it to post them in the afternoon so you can give me your opinion.

arck
06-12-2006, 08:56 PM
This my ex-brand new alfa p51, look at the firewall, it was broken in three pieces,,,,

arck
06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Here other pics

alienx
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I think it looks good. Anything that is missing a piece, maybe you can just cust a small piece of styrofoam to match and use some duct tape to hold it in place. Or epoxy. You seem to be pretty good at this. The cowl can probably just be taped on the inside. It looks like all the pieces are there and not too badly crushed.

arck
06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for your advises, I will finish to fix it this week and try again on Saturday, I hope it fly well in the second attempt,,,this try I promise to make a short video,,,,what about the elevator and aileron's, how much do you have in yours, in some posts I read they suggest 2mm up the two ailerons, half throttle with the red mpjet to lunch,,,

alienx
06-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks for your advises, I will finish to fix it this week and try again on Saturday, I hope it fly well in the second attempt,,,this try I promise to make a short video,,,,what about the elevator and aileron's, how much do you have in yours, in some posts I read they suggest 2mm up the two ailerons, half throttle with the red mpjet to lunch,,,

As much as I have opinions, you'd think I was an expert. But I'm not. I have the blue motor and a 9x4.7 prop. I launched it level, at full throttle. I also have about 2mm of up aileron trimmed in. But I think this is not going to be so much of a concern on launch. I think it is designed to help the plane fly level under power.

I don't think the difference between our props is going to be so overwhelming. I don't know which motor is stronger though. I could tell on the workbench that the prop I had was going to be plenty. It was trying to fly out of my hand pretty hard. Mine flew plenty fast with this set-up, from launch to landing. My problem was i couldn't get it trimmed to fly level. So I never really got to wind up the motor very much. It also kept spitting the spinner off and hitting the prop with it.

I hope to get another flight on mine in about a half hour if the winds come down.

alienx
06-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Hey Arck,

I got another flight on mine tonight. My fourth if you count the first three test flights.

Anyway. I launched level at full throttle. It flew very well. Left my hand level and gradually increased its climb as the speed built up. Just like the video on the Hobby Lobby site, but just not as fast. I think it would have gone vertical on its own if I didn't chop the throttle. I flew in about 5-10 mph of wind. So maybe that added a little to the angle of attack on the climb out.

I trimmed it at the elevator before the flight to try to take some climb out of it. I think the elevator was probably about level to the stabilizer. But I needed a handfull of clicks of down trim once it was airborne. Any more than half throttle pitched it nose up again though.

So it flew much better than the test flights, but not yet where I want it. I will say this, it is not close to the cadillac that the E-flite P47 is. This one is much more (or at least a little more) demanding to fly. I was tense the whole time. And I felt inspired to keep it at altitude. I was very uncomfortable flying it near the ground. But you seem to have a lot more flying experience than me so maybe it's not so bad for you.

The plane is well behaved though. You just have to be ready for the performance that is built in. At least I had to.

Up and down four times with no crashes! At least I know I have a plane I can fly while I'm rebuilding my P47.

Andy

PS. I only got about 7 minutes on my TP 1320 mah battery. I was at 11.53 volts afterwards, so I'm sure I could have made 9 or 10 minutes if I wanted to try to stretch it. But I was surprised by how quickly the charge got used up. I'm used to 14-15 minutes on the P47 with 2200mah batteries.

Good luck. Post some video!

arck
06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey Arck,

I got another flight on mine tonight. My fourth if you count the first three test flights.

Anyway. I launched level at full throttle. It flew very well. Left my hand level and gradually increased its climb as the speed built up. Just like the video on the Hobby Lobby site, but just not as fast. I think it would have gone vertical on its own if I didn't chop the throttle. I flew in about 5-10 mph of wind. So maybe that added a little to the angle of attack on the climb out.

I trimmed it at the elevator before the flight to try to take some climb out of it. I think the elevator was probably about level to the stabilizer. But I needed a handfull of clicks of down trim once it was airborne. Any more than half throttle pitched it nose up again though.

So it flew much better than the test flights, but not yet where I want it. I will say this, it is not close to the cadillac that the E-flite P47 is. This one is much more (or at least a little more) demanding to fly. I was tense the whole time. And I felt inspired to keep it at altitude. I was very uncomfortable flying it near the ground. But you seem to have a lot more flying experience than me so maybe it's not so bad for you.

The plane is well behaved though. You just have to be ready for the performance that is built in. At least I had to.

Up and down four times with no crashes! At least I know I have a plane I can fly while I'm rebuilding my P47.

Andy

PS. I only got about 7 minutes on my TP 1320 mah battery. I was at 11.53 volts afterwards, so I'm sure I could have made 9 or 10 minutes if I wanted to try to stretch it. But I was surprised by how quickly the charge got used up. I'm used to 14-15 minutes on the P47 with 2200mah batteries.

Good luck. Post some video!

Hi Andy, here is some pics of my repaired P51, ready to airborne, short video coming soon,,,,its amazing, I love this plane,,,,

alienx
06-21-2006, 06:52 PM
You did a nice job putting it back together. Looking forward to the video!!

Shaggy
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I just flew my new alfa P-47 and did an underarm throw like i do with my shocky, not good, i had loads of power it went up and over i got control lost control and then nose in, its fixable but when i go again tomorrow how the hell am i going to throw it?

alienx
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I just flew my new alfa P-47 and did an underarm throw like i do with my shocky, not good, i had loads of power it went up and over i got control lost control and then nose in, its fixable but when i go again tomorrow how the hell am i going to throw it?

I hand launch every plane I own the same way. I hold it in my right hand like a dart, just behind the wing (if a low wing), and throw it straight and level.

I think the underhand toss is harder. You are throwing the plane at more of a stall angle, and the release is lower. Not to mention that I always feel like I am going to hit my leg with the tail, so I probably put the plane in a roll from the get-go.

Good luck.

Shaggy
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
I had a high wing that i did like that, I guess i was just thinking the alfa is not much heavier than the shocky, but hey its not good. Like a dart tomorrow then, I have a 10amp 150 watt motor so i am guessing i will not need to through it too hard. It do go up nicely but just over my head and caught me off guard.

I have just lost a bit of confidence I think, but glad i found this thread as it does mean they can be fixed :D

alienx
10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
OK, I'll make two observations based on what I just read. 150 watts is going to be a lot of power for that plane. And both the Alfa's I've had and maidened both seemed trimmed to the eye, but rocketed straight up after a level launch. One even tried to loop behind me. Your may be experiencing the same thing, and the amount of power you have is going to make it worse, and happen faster. Just some food for thought. You'll have to decide if any of that really applies to you.

For what it's worth, I flew mine all about 14-15 ounces with 125 watts or so. They were very spirited fliers that way.

Let us know how it goes.

Shaggy
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Well i think the loop was totally my fault, I just through it to up, and the elevator is interesting, I think that might be the case. it weighs 14oz which is a nice weight.

I will let you know how it goes. the weather looks good again, and a nice dart type throw should be fine :D

Bill G
10-29-2008, 02:31 AM
My LHS has an Alfa P51 which they've had forever, and have reduced to an attractive price. It keeps tempting me. This is especially true since my best all-around plane of over 30 planes is hands down my Alfa 190. I can give this plane the most horrible tosses in the world and straighten them out into a good lauch with ease. Excellent plane.
Power wise it has one of the smaller AXIs. Been so long I can't remember which one. Not a powerhouse, but I like it as it is. Flys with a 3s-910 for around 10 min full throttle flights.

Shaggy
10-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Well everyone i am an alfa man now all fixed and flew it this morning snow on the ground clear skys, the only trim needed was the elevator it did want to just go up, maybe it needs a little more nose.

I am glad I found this thread it gave me the confidence to fix and fly again :D