PDA

View Full Version : Camera Tilt Problem on Magpie AP

Ernest-T
06-08-2006, 03:17 AM
I've got a Pentax Optio 60 mounted on my Magpie with the optional servo set up to tilt the camera as per the plans. The system works fine until the camera is mounted, and then the servo will not bring the camera back up into position. I'm using a GWS Naro + servo. I could go with a more powerful servo, but I'm thinking that part of the problem is with the angle that the servo is applying force to the camera mount. Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

In the air I pull a loop and use the weight of the camera to put it back into position, but I'd rather have a more dependable setup.

aviatordave
06-08-2006, 05:26 PM
can you post a pic of the camera, camera tray and servo?

Ernest-T
06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
OK here are some photos of my setup:

http://ernest-t.smugmug.com/photos/74271199-M.jpg

This first photo shows the camera in the horizontal position (shooting straight out under the right wing). The servo that controls the tilt is on the right and the short pushrod attaches to one of the holes in the camera mount as per the instructions for the Magpie AP.
http://ernest-t.smugmug.com/photos/74271431-M.jpg

This next photo shows the camera in the veritcal position (shooting straight down) after the servo has been activated. To get the camera to return to horizontal the servo has to "push" the camera mount down to make it rotate back up into position.

I think that part of the problem is that the mounting hole in the camera mount for the pushrod is too close to the screw that the mount rotates around (making a short lever arm). The problem is that if I move the pushrod mounting hole further from the screw, I may run out of servo travel.

What do you think?

nakelp86
06-10-2006, 02:59 AM
There is no way it will ever work
U need more leverage for the weight of the camera.
Instead mounting the wire directly to the tray make longer arm sticking out of the tray and mount the wire to that arm.
Also I thing stronger servo would help

Kosh
06-10-2006, 07:24 AM
I think you will find that most just set the tilt and call it good, Whiles its cool to have the servo I found that from the ground I was always second guessing where the camera was pointed. A fixed location lets you concentrate more on flying the plane and getting the shot your after.
I think nakelp86 is right on the money and you need a standard servo to pull the camera back up. You might get lucky with a HS-81MG servo but its close to the same weight as a standard anyways.

nakelp86
06-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Yep thats right
its easy to misjudge wher the cam is pointing but if you insist on tilt you have to experiment with the right ratio of servo strenght and correct leverage.
Here U can open another can of worms :D
U can get creative as U want.
well, Im not Rembrant but I hope this will help.

nakelp86
06-10-2006, 11:54 PM
ooppss

Ernest-T
06-11-2006, 02:00 AM
After some close examination and experimentation, I have come up with a solution. I found that part of the problem was that in the air the bouncing of the plane would cause the camera, when in the vertical position, to over rotate putting the pushrod on the wrong side of the camera mount screw making it impossible for the servo to lift the camera back into position. To solve the problem I changed the pushrod mounting hole on the mount to a position about 1/4 inch further out on the mount and about 1/4 inch lower. I also adjusted end point travel on the servo so the camera will not rotate into a true vertical position, but one that is about 15 degrees off of vertical. This prevents the problem with over rotation.

I can now rotate the camera through about 85 degrees in the air.