PDA

View Full Version : MagpieAP for Law Enforcement

TexasRCFlyer
06-08-2006, 06:24 AM
I have a couple questions. I just bought the Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang PTS Glow Trainer. I love it. It came with a JR XF421EX 5-channel computer radio system. I am wanting to get the Magpie AP for my job. I work for a Sheriff's Department here in East Texas and I am on our SWAT Team. These aerial videos and photos that I am seeing would be priceless to us for Law Enforcement purposes for gaining intelligence prior to a raid. Being new into this hobby, I wasnt sure of a couple things. If I buy the Magpie AP, I can use my JR radio that came with the P-51? I can just buy servos, ESC, RX and a motor/battery? What do you use to activate the shutter?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

TexasRCFlyer
06-08-2006, 06:58 AM
While reviewing more posts in here, I may opt for the E-Starter or Airfoilz Yak-54 for my AP setup, those seem to be more fun to fly with the aileron controls for when not doing photography.

aviatordave
06-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Those planes are prob more fun to fly, I agree. But with aerial photo/video you want a real stable platform for your best results. You might be able to get pretty good results with those planes - some people have. The best example I can provide to use the Magpie is for flight duration. I can get 30-45 minutes of AP/AV which in turn results in plenty of pictures and video off of 1 charged battery (3 cell Kokam 2000 mah lipo). If its recon your interested in, you might want to weigh all your pro's and con's. I have several planes (glow and electric) which fill my need for 3D aerobatics, fun flying, or Aerial Photography. Good luck with your choice -

As far as your question goes, maybe you could use some of the equipment that came with your mustang. If you could post a link to a web page that better describes it would be beneficial. As for the triggering portion, I use a Pentax Optio s5z camera which uses a infra red control to operate the shutter (kind of like a TV remote) its light and uses little to no current. Others have used a small nano servo on top of the shutter button to activate the camera. You would need a 4 channel radio (Minimum) if you use the Magpie. If you use a plane in which all 4 channels are being used for control (aileron, rudder, throttle, elevator) then you would need a 5-6 channel.

Dave

TexasRCFlyer
06-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Excellent points in your reply, thanks. Below is a link to my P-51. I figured most of the parts would work, I just didnt know how hard they would be to take off and I would like to have them both for flying. I think, after your advice, I should go with the Magpie. I can get the Magpie, all the needed accessories, and be good. I can then get the Yak-54, and switch the parts off the Magpie when I am not needing AP.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=HAN2825

Im not in a hurry to make this purchase, I am still listening to other pointers and ideas.

aviatordave
06-08-2006, 05:21 PM
That radio and reciever would work great. If you wanted to save an ounce, you could get a smaller reciever....but I wouldnt sweat it. I use a Futaba reciever that prob the same size as yours and the plane cant tell at all. If you have questions on motor/battery/esc/servos just yell, we can give you alot of differnt applications to use.

Dave

Kosh
06-09-2006, 04:26 AM
If you use a lite camera 5 ounces or under you can just use the standered Magpie with camera mount. That really gives you 2 planes in one with the stock and sport wings for $60. A E-Fight Park 450 or 400 outrunner, 20 amp ESC and a 10x7 prop would do fine with or without camera also.

Randy Due
06-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Excellent points in your reply, thanks. Below is a link to my P-51. I figured most of the parts would work, I just didnt know how hard they would be to take off and I would like to have them both for flying. I think, after your advice, I should go with the Magpie. I can get the Magpie, all the needed accessories, and be good. I can then get the Yak-54, and switch the parts off the Magpie when I am not needing AP.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=HAN2825

Im not in a hurry to make this purchase, I am still listening to other pointers and ideas.

You can do that, but it gets old having to swap out gear from plane to plane. Sure is nice to just "grab and go!":D ...especially since you have a good computer radio. (I'm assuming with model memory) I really enjoy having a dedicated AP plane....and slow flyer....okay, and very fast flying wing for those windy days....and maybe one or two others, just for kicks!:rolleyes: :D Whatever you decide, I would recommend brushless motors with lipoly batteries to match the planes. IMO, both are worth the extra money. Brushless motors are a high powered low maintenance dream come true. Lipoly batteries need a little more care to be used safely, but worth the effort since they can store a lot of juice at half the weight of other battery chemistries.

Randy

nakelp86
07-03-2006, 02:12 AM
and if U decide to go with MagAPie do not forget to go throught Magpie thread on RC groups :-)

Dave, do I sound like a broken record ??!!
:-)))))