PDA

View Full Version : Three Phase Alternator - Three Phase Motor?

kyleservicetech
01-31-2015, 08:40 PM
I've posted this thread in RCGroups that shows a video of two standard brushless motors directly wired to each other. That makes one an alternator, the other a motor.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2337244#post30651764

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc9TP95VoZk

pmullen503
02-01-2015, 12:52 AM
Interesting, any practical application for this?

kyleservicetech
02-01-2015, 01:19 AM

Nope

IMHO, none what so ever for modeling use anyhow :oops:

Turner
02-01-2015, 03:28 AM
This is basically the way diesel electric locomotives work.

theapplepi3.14
03-11-2015, 09:33 PM
I envision a plane with two driven motors that are in sync with the driving motor which is powered by the recoil of a machine gun so that the plane can fly with two blades very close together and a gun shooting through the blades (timed by the recoil spinning the motor) but it will only fly if the gun is constantly on! moohahahaha!

Larry3215
03-12-2015, 06:42 PM

Nope

IMHO, none what so ever for modeling use anyhow :oops:

What? Wait just a second! Are you trying to tell me I cant hook up a second motor to my main motor and use it as a generator to power the main motor?????????

Nononono, Im sure if you put them both inside the right kind of pyramid and maybe add some extra magnets in just the right positions to match the star positions, it would work! :D

kyleservicetech
03-12-2015, 07:23 PM
What? Wait just a second! Are you trying to tell me I cant hook up a second motor to my main motor and use it as a generator to power the main motor?????????

Nononono, Im sure if you put them both inside the right kind of pyramid and maybe add some extra magnets in just the right positions to match the star positions, it would work! :D

Of course you could always buy a Hacker A200 15 KiloWatt motor on a giant scale model. Then put a smaller motor and prop windmilling to generate power to run the receiver/servos. :D :D

By the time you get it to work, you've spent more time and $$$$ than just getting a big LiFe or A123 battery pack to do the same job. :D :D :D Or, just buy a HV uBEC!

Larry3215
03-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Naw, I like my perpetual motion ideas better ;)

theapplepi3.14
03-12-2015, 08:09 PM
You could invest money in Antman's technology and then buy a million-man-microbe-size mercenary military to man the machinery inside the motor, making many megawatts, moving the prop, and making the plane move

PJBruno
05-02-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm researching high altitude long endurance setups and this is the most accessible solution for intermittent battery charging using an on board IC engine.

A large 22 foot span soaring airframe with twin 64mm EDF's gives me plenty of room for fuel and charging gear. Eventually the goal is to build a matching alternator or generator for my Lipo charging circuit. Until then this is a great solution for charging a battery system with liquid or gaseous fuel.

A fuel driven pico turbine/gearbox setup with solar photovoltaic wing skins is the dream but time and funds are limited.

A build log is coming but I like to build and fly more than log or shoot video. With a 2200mah battery and great conditions the bird will stay aloft for just over ten hours on autopilot.

Turner
05-02-2015, 01:55 PM
...With a 2200mah battery and great conditions the bird will stay aloft for just over ten hours on autopilot.

What is the purpose?

PJBruno
05-06-2015, 03:03 AM
The idea of a long endurance aerial platform came out of a request for a search and rescue prototype that was low cost enough to lose in a maritime environment.

Now the idea is to provide a flexible platform for science or imaging payloads in the form of modules. I've been working on measuring surface wind speeds over a large area of Northern Lake Michigan in preparation for another project. That payload can be swapped in a few minutes to fit a high resolution camera.

Most of my work is custom ROV and marine instruments. RC was a hobby in my teens and getting back to this kind of "work" has been lots of fun.

dereckbc
05-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Interesting, any practical application for this?You bet there is. It is the basis of almost all over unity SCAMS. Great way to rip people off like HHO systems for your car.