PDA

View Full Version : .60 glow Pica Waco Biplane

Dennis
06-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Need any and all suggestions on converting a .60 size glow Pica Waco to electric. Are their any photos on the site of a Waco? Had this kit for many many many years in my workshop and finally decided to build it. Having second thoughts about even putting it in the air as company has been out of business for some time and the kit I understand is very rare and hard to find. Should I just build it and keep it for sentimental reasons. What would you guys do. I am undecide. Dennis Can reply to this site or contact at dsc070744@wowway.com Thanks Fraser, Michigan

Matt Kirsch
06-12-2006, 02:39 PM
The good news is that Pica is back in business. They're now owned by Cox, the makers of the famous "Bee" .049 engines, and they've started issuing ARF versions of the old Pica kits. Rumor has it that there are plans to re-issue the kits as well, but I can't verify that rumor.

This is the 1/6 scale Waco, correct? The Eflite Power 60 system on a 6S LiPoly pack should be more than adequate. An AXi 4130/16 will offer similar performance, while the AXi 4130/20 will allow you to swing an even larger propeller for a more scale appearance.

Dereck
06-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Need any and all suggestions on converting a .60 size glow Pica Waco to electric. Are their any photos on the site of a Waco? Had this kit for many many many years in my workshop and finally decided to build it. Having second thoughts about even putting it in the air as company has been out of business for some time and the kit I understand is very rare and hard to find. Should I just build it and keep it for sentimental reasons. What would you guys do. I am undecide. Dennis Can reply to this site or contact at dsc070744@wowway.com Thanks Fraser, Michigan

If you have the full kit, chances are someday, it will be worth something to a serious collector, much more so if it's untouched.

Another point - chances are the structure will be pretty hefty too. It's an old design and many of that era of kit was put together with little thought of weight issues. While e-power has gotten lighter (and more expensive than ever ... ) a lighter model is still the cheapest upgrade in performance around.

How's about making a copy of the plan, so you can return the entire kit to its box for that collector somewhere down the line, or just to give your kit mountain a little class. Then build an electric specific version of what is a classically beautiful and very under-modelled biplane.

After all, before electric flight went down the path to 'same old, same old' ready mades, this method was good enough for the likes of Keith Shaw and the other e-flight pioneers.

Good "how to" suggestions? Ken Myers' "Ampeer" newsletter site. Harry Higley's books (funny old things, made of something called 'paper', can be read anywhere ;) ) - he does one specifically on biplanes that's a treasure, his "covering" book is good, though his electrics book is very dated now.

Inspiration? Start here, where else?

http://www.wacoairmuseum.org/

or:

http://www.wacoclassic.com/intro.html

Be a lovely model to take to the field, with little chance of anyone having one just like it...

Good luck with your project

Dereck

lowpass99
06-16-2006, 08:17 PM
do a search on the new HIMAX HC50
nice motor. i have received mine yesterday.
plenty of power.:)

pasmits
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Sorry for the english, bud I fly an electric Pica Waco.

I have to be fair, it has done only one flight up to now.

I fly it with a ROXXY BL OUTRUNNER 5065/09 (45a continious, 50a max)
and with 6s2p LIO-Ion battery pack (22v, 4400mah, 50c max)
it further has Cyclon Pilot 100 controller (100a continious, 120a max)
it swings a Topflite TOPQ5220 - 18 x 8

The first flight was a nice, I had lift-off in les then 10 meters and a 45deg. climb without any problems. Landings was also fine.

By the way, it ways in at about 6,5kilogram.

Regards,
Pascal Smits

aeromaster
10-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Pascal,
What a beautifull Waco ! Like an attractive woman, these bipes just never loose thier gracefull appeal. (at least to me)
I have the larger 72" Pica Waco completed w/ servos installed but not yet flown & now since I've become interested in elec power, I'm sure that will be its power source.
Be carefull w/ that beautifull bird.

Regards
Bob