PDA

View Full Version : Sailplanes, EP,TD, DLG, Slope, DS, PSS, Scale

Sky Sharkster
06-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Our regular readers will notice a Forum name change; Thanks to our kind and understanding Administrators, this Forum is now for any type of Sailplanes (or Gliders) whether powered or unpowered.
Feel free to post regarding Thermal Duration, Hand Launch, Discus Launch, Slope Gliders, Dynamic Soaring, Glider Combat, Scale Gliders, F3B, F3F, F3J, and any others that may have slipped my mind at the moment!
Because this Forum has been for "Electric-Powered Sailplanes" since it's inception it may take awhile for the "Unpowered" flyers to find out about the change. You can help by mentioning it to your flying buddies. Also, if you belong to or are in contact with a Soaring club, let them know they are welcome here.
Hopefully we will become a useful resource for all types of Sailplanes!
Thermals!
Ron

AEAJR
07-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Our regular readers will notice a Forum name change; Thanks to our kind and understanding Administrators, this Forum is now for any type of Sailplanes (or Gliders) whether powered or unpowered.
Ron

Thanks Sky Sharkster! I did not notice the change till I read your sticky.

I fly thermal duration sailplanes in the 2-4 meter range that are hi-start or winch launched. I fly aerotowed sailplanes, slope gliders and DLGs too.

I started my flying in parkflyers and still enjoy them a lot. But my heart has fallen in love with unpowerd planes. I probably spend 75% of my air time with sailplanes today.

If anyone needs help in this area, I will try to assist in any way I can.

I have a lot of articles written on sailplanes, slope gliders and the like. However, since this was e-gliders, and I don't have any e-gliders, I have not posted them here. Maybe I will.

Sky Sharkster
07-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Ed, glad you found the new format! If you have any useful soaring articles or data, please go ahead and post'em. Jason and I are starting to work on descriptions/explanations about the various classes, flying hints and launch systems, plus links to related sites. Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Ron

AEAJR
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
The New Glider Pilot's Handbook
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11050

Ed Emmons
02-09-2007, 06:03 AM
last fall I returned to RC after being away for 30 years. I purchased a 2 meter glider from Tower Hobbies. I use a high start to launch the glider. The high start consists of 100 feet of 1/4 inch surgical tubing,150 feet of 40 pound monofiliment, a parachute, and a steel key ring. The rubber tubing is attached to a steel stake and the steel ring is attached to the glider's tow hook .

To launch the glider I attach the steel ring to the tow hook. Then I start walking backwards until the tubing has been stretched to about 175 feet. At this point I give the glider a gentle toss and the tubing does it thing. A little up elevator will keep the glider nose up and the pull of the tubing makes for dramitic launches. Once the glider stops going up a little down elevator will cause the tow line to come off the tow hook. The parachute opens and the hi-start return to the ground.

I've had several flights of 20 plus minutes.

I fly at North Troy, Vermont and Simsbury, Connecticut.

AEAJR
02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you are having a great time with your glider. What plane do you have?

Also sounds like you could be getting even higher launches. If you are interested,let me suggest the following, if you have the room.

Add 50 feet to your pull. Typical pull on a hi-start is 3X the length of the rubber, as long as you are using it above 45 degrees. At 3X you will get a stronger pull AND a longer pull. With 1/4" rubber with a Gentle Lady, Spirit or Tower Vista type plane you will not be over stressing the plane. If you are interested or concerned, You can use a fish scale to measure the pull. I launch my Spirit at 12 pounds pull on 1/2 inch rubber that I pull to 1 1/2X rubber length. But I am using VERY strong rubber. 3X the strength of yours.

If that works OK, then add another 100 feet of line to your hi-start. Typically the line length is 3X-4X times the length of the rubber. You are only at 1.5X I have a 100 foot section that I add to the 400 feet of line on mine, taking it to 500 feet, when there is more than a 5 mph breeze. I get MONSTER launches. But your rubber probably can't handle that much line. You could probably get it to 300 feet with a 5 mph breeze.

Now you have a longer pull and a stronger pull on the rubber and more line to let the plane climb.

If you do the changes above, and you like it, then you can look at the next steps.

If you feel you need up elevator on the launch, you may be a bit nose heavy, OR you may have the tow hook too far forward. Either will hurt your launch height.

Since you are getting good, long thermal flights, I suspect the tow hook could be moved back.

The tow hook should be 1/4" to 1/8" in front of the CG point. This allows the nose of the plane to rotate up on the lanch and give you a climb of 60 to 75 degrees with no elevator.

Many kits will set it further forward for safety for the new pilot. A more forward position gives a more stable launch. Moving it back gives you higher launches but you must have enough pull on the hi-start and you must give it a good push when you launch, to get it up to flying speed.

You have the potential to double your launch heights if you have the room and he desire.

Maximizing height from a hi-start launch.
http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=257

Other Soaring tips
http://forums.flyesl.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=14

Spoonwasher
02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Hello Ron & all the rest......I 've been flying a Gentle Ladys for a few years on & off. My second plane was a Lady.I always took it up to our field with my other glow stuff as it was great relaxed flying. I have 2 ready to fly even now.Never used a high start, don't know what they really were as nobody else in our little club flys gliders.My Dad & I have spent many a day soaring with the Turkey Vultures. We get them up with a Power pod and a cox .049.It's a slow climb upward but usually enough to get us into some thermals before the 5cc tank tuns out of fuel.My best flight was just over 42min , ran out of battery in my reciever..LoL.We don't have any kind of spot for slope soaring so powered pods is how we got started. We even made a launch rack for a kadet senior and took them up stacked on top of the kadet, quite q biplane ..Lol . We had Air Cadets at the field one day and got 21 of them up and on the sticks for demo flights.Dad would fly the Kadet and I'd launch from there at 250ft.
We have modified our Gentle lady's with different power pods and now are converting to electrics. The best sucess has been with a brushess(400 outrunner size, 9x7 Graupner folder on 3 cells- 1250mah ,direct drive,25amp esc.This works well as I was up on New Years day , high 25km winds and the plane still penetrated under control to get a Newyears day flight in.
I gave my Dad a Bird of Time arf for Xmas and picked up one for myself as My Flying partner needed a buddy too...Lol...we are currently converting these 3 meter sailplanes to electric.We really don't have the room at our field for winching or high starts.We haven't found any threads to use as a guide for the conversion,but I think we've got a good combo to fly them with.The worst thing is you have to cut the nose off these to put a motor in, use a folding prop and add a little ballast.It took me a week to get enough nerve to cut the nose off that beautiful fiberglass fuse. Dynaflight epoxy's about 9oz of steel in the nose for balast. Now our motor came in about 4oz, 4200mah 2 cell x 2 in parallel lipo's, 35 amp brushless ESC, Graupner folder with a 10 x 6 prop for another 3 oz, added 2.5 oz to balance. We're running direct drive so we need a smaller prop to get the current draw down in the range of our chosen speed controllers.The wattmeter tells us we are pulling 220 watts of power, plenty for a good climb rate and should have lots of reserve if we need more climbs.I have read that once these birds are up that they don't want to come down so I'm doubling the capacity of my radio batteries incase I need it.( built a radio battery pack with 3300 mah nicads)We are using full size recievers as Micro's wont have the range these birds are capaable of.If it hadn't been an arf, I would have installed spoliers for sure as I forsee getting these birds back to earth when you need to as of some concern.
The first day the weather breaks here we will be sending these birds up for a test flight or two. I let you know how we make out with our setups.
Don

Sky Sharkster
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello Don, Welcome to Sailplanes @ Wattflyer! Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with the powered Gentle Lady, I believe Goldberg still sells the power pod.
There's been a couple of Bird of Time conversion threads here, TelsaWinger and Franny both used outrunners, and Franny is now installing spoilers in hers; http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3234 What motor did you end up with? 220 Watts should be plenty of power!
We have two BOT's flying here in the Denver area, Frannys' and a hobby shop owner named Jerry have'em, both with AXI 2800 series. They look truly beautiful in the air!
I agree about the micro servos, I use Hitec HS 81's in my 2 meter and larger.
Keep us posted on your progress, Good Luck and Thermals!
Ron

Spoonwasher
02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
thanks for the warm welcome. I used an ST Models outrunner, 2908-10 (25amp) released as an E upgrade for 20 sized/weight planes. Thought this was a good benchmark to start from.My fathers choice was similar but a little more power as it can replace a 30/35 sized glow motor.more amps though at 30/35 with an 11in folder by Graupner
Thanks again for the links to the BoT threads. i'll check them out after posting.
I've got a few Gentle Lady stoties throughout my trials of workable e upgrades for the plane.
I'll get some photo's together of the BoT and post them for anyone thinking of adding an e power plan to the glider.

FlyWheel
11-10-2007, 03:51 PM
All RC planes are electric, regardless of what 'type" they say they are.

Some just have more baggage than others. ;-3)>

Just my 2

StephenW
02-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Well I'm new here thats for sure but definately not new to soaring :)
I wasnt going to join as it seemed all power related but thought I'd have a look anyway :) nice to meet you all .
SteveW

lweller
02-26-2009, 11:55 PM
It is good to see the modification for all types of sailplanes. I love to design, build; fly just about any and every kind of sailplane and glider. There is still plenty of room on my list for dream projects.

I have nipped the nose off seven Dynaflite’s Bird of Time in the past 3 years, 4 just this winter. Most are for other people but two of the seven are my own. Because our field is small they all have been modified with split flaps made of carbon fiber panels in the bottom section of the center wing panel. This makes it very easy to land at our feet. The BOT is one of the best values on the market today. There are many better sailplanes but for the price this is a great entry level big glider either for winch or electric. Mine is powered with Medusa and an18x10" folder. I use a 36mm wide spinner that fits the nose perfectly.

My favorite interest at the moment is my Kennedy Composite Blaster 2. I built two for friends and one for myself this fall. DLG’s are truly the essence of silent flight for me. These gliders are so graceful in flight and light to the touch it is remarkable.

We can fly slope off the Lake Michigan dunes where I live but the perfect west winds are difficult to come by. When they do it is a rush to the slopes.

This weekend I am putting the final touches on a Gentle Lady I decided I just had to build to enjoy the experience of so many pilots who posted memorable accounts with their Gentle Lady. I built from the kit everything to plan except the wing. I cut a new rib set designed for a combined carbon fiber and basswood spar system. Spoilers have been added but beyond that the airfoil wing shape along with the rest is true to the Gentle Lady. Modern radio equipment is so much smaller and lighter now days that even with two more servos and more substantial wing build the plane is only slightly more than an ounce heavier than specified on the box.

There is still plenty of work projects on my tables to keep me busy until when summer arrives in June…I hope I’m wrong about that!

StephenW
03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
A video of my Carbon bird at one of our big air Sites Blackheath NSW Australia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKoSs5s-ZxU
SteveW

TDisaster
03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Awesome. I've been moving un-powered lately. It's much more relaxing, and challenging too.

I started a social group for sailplane pilots here, if anyone is interested in joining.

lweller
03-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Beautiful, your Howler moves right along. For some reason it looks familiar. I'm wondering if I saw that plane recently in 'RC Soaring Digest' or another magazine. Is it made in Australia and who makes or sells it?

StephenW
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi there the Bird is a Cech built mouldie imported by Falcon gliders in Australia
but I'm sure Soaring USA would carry them . I also have a full carbon Mini blade which is US made and one of the guys got some video on Sunday at our main coastal site . No music but you can hear the blade scream when it rolls and when I pop the spolierons toward the end of the video.
http://www.vimeo.com/3537587
SteveW

Thermalrunner
05-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a brushed 550 motor 8.4v from a Sportsman Glider, (don't know anything else about it,) a brushed Turnigy 30A ESC Eagle, and a 7.4v 1800Mah 12C lipo. Will this work together in a SIG Riser 100 glider conversion? And if so, could someone recommend a economical folding prop and spinner for this setup? (size too please)
New to the electric-sailplane setup.

thank you in advance.

Dean

Sky Sharkster
05-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Hello Dean, Welcome to Wattflyer!
Yes, the 550 will power the Riser 100, but it won't be overpowered. The plane's RTF weight will likely be about 4 pounds and this is pretty much the maximum weight this motor will haul. So, you'll have slow, steady climbs that may take a minute or so to reach thermal altitude.
The 550 is right between the "500" and "600" size brushed motors. Here's an example;
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed500.htm
And as you can see, they recommend an 8" x 4.5" folder. I looked in an old Hobby-Lobby catalog and found a "600" 7.2 volt motor and they recommended the same prop.
Here's a link for the correct size and type of prop;
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/8x4.5_cam_folding_prop_3.2mm_38mm_spinner_414_prd1 .htm
The price may seem high, but bear in mind it comes with the prop adaptor and mounting screws, plus matched spinner. Note that the shaft is 3.2mm, same as the prop adaptor.
And, folding props almost (!!) never break. Under normal use, they last a long time. There's no solid blade sticking down when you land, which helps a lot.
Most "Speed " (brushed) motors are front-mounted, that is, they're inside the cowl and the screws are inserted from the front plate (essentially a firewall, but it's in front of the motor, instead of behind it) into the front of the motor. These are the screws that are provided with the motor.
Here's photos of a motor and nose, this is similar to the type mount I'm describing. The motor will be placed inside from the wing opening and slid forward. The shaft will be sticking out of the large center hole. Then the mount holes are aligned with the holes in the front of the motor and the screws are inserted. The spinner diameter is the same as the nose front diameter.
If you would like some suggestions on a more powerful power system, post here. But the 550 with this prop and the battery you have will be OK, if a bit underpowered.
Good Luck,
Ron

Thermalrunner
05-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Ron,

Thank you very much, you have pointed me in the right direction. As you can probably tell, I'm on a tight budget and trying to use what I have. The link with the motors has a Speed 600. Not a bad price at all. Will this help a little more with the power? I am not worried about speed. As long as it gets up there in a respectable time, I'm happy.
Thank you so much for the pictures and the direction on the nose install as well.

Glad to be on board with WattFlyer.

thanks again,

Dean

Sky Sharkster
05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Hello Dean,
The link with the motors has a Speed 600. Not a bad price at all. Will this help a little more with the power?
Not much, if any. The 550 and 600 have nearly identical specs. The first option that would increase your power is a geardrive (reduction gearing). This allow the motor to run at a much higher RPM, more efficiently. In turn, it's able to turn a larger-diameter prop, generating more thrust. For sailplanes, normally a planetary geardrive is used, so the nose diameter will remain small. This serves two purposes. One, it reduces drag. Two, it allows the prop to fold easily. Typically, gear ratios will be between 2:1 and 3.5:1
The problem is, planetary geardrives are fairly expensive. Usually more than the cost of the motor, although they do last a long time, if not forever.
The second alternative is to go brushless. With the prices for motors coming down all the time, you may find a good replacement for $30.00 to $50.00. Of course, you'll need a brushless ESC, this will cost about the same (or a little more) than the motor.
For this model, you'll need a motor which provides about 300 watts of power (roughly 75 watts per pound for sailplanes), a low Kv of 800 to 1200 so it will swing a large-diameter prop of 10" to 12" diameter, amp draw around 25-35 amps at full throttle and motor weight between 4 and 5.5 ounces. Here's an inexpensive outrunner that fits the bill;
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3888&Product_Name=TR_35-48-B_900kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Eq:_AXi_2826
This should give you some idea of the power range to look for.
Here's a free online motor calc, you can try different motor, battery and prop combinations (including the brushed motors, with and without gearing) to see the results;
http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp
There are literally dozens of motors that will work with this airplane, the one I linked is about the lowest cost. "Name" brand motors will of course cost more but generally be more efficient, run smoother and last longer.
Good Luck!
Ron

Thermalrunner
05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Ron,

This information is great, cleared up some of the fog. Thank you for giving so much time to helping me out, and whoever else may read this thread. I will have her up soon thanks to you!

Best,

Dean

Sky Sharkster
05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi Dean,
glad to help if I can. One other upgrade I forgot to mention would be a simple one: Going to a 3 cell (3S) LiPo of about the same, or slightly higher, capacity.
What this does is increase the input voltage from 7.4V to 11.1V. LiPos have a nominal voltage per cell of 3.7V.
If you run this change through the calc you'll see a major increase in RPM, thrust and watts. With (nothing's free!) a substantially higher amp draw.
Normally, when going to a higher voltage battery, we lower the prop size (usually diameter, but sometimes diameter and pitch) to compensate. But in this case, I believe an 8" diameter prop is about as small as you can use to pull the model.
Bear in mind, brushed motors have a finite (and short) lifespan to begin with. The brushes wear out. Running it with higher voltage simply shortens the motor life even more/faster. There's no way to say exactly how long it will last, it depends upon the motor's rated voltage, the load placed on it (generally, prop size), RPM, throttle setting (full throttle being the "worst") and motor run duration. Higher input voltage increases all these factors, all at the same time.
That's one of the main reasons brushed motors are fairly cheap. But after you've purchased a few $20.00 brushed motors, the total cost is higher than one brushless and new ESC.
Good Luck and catch some thermals!
Ron

Thermalrunner
05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Ron,

I have a 11.1v 2200Mah Lipo, but I didn't think I could match it up with the brushed 550. Will this work with my brushed 30a ESC? Or you're saying going brushless.

Thanks,

Dean
P.S. Going to try to catch some Thermals today.

Sky Sharkster
05-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Dean,
The LiPo cell count depends on the rated voltage of the motor you have. Guess I should have explained this earlier, but my posts tend to get pretty long anyway!
The free calc doesn't have a Speed "550" Graupner motor, but it has several 500's and 600's.
Using the 500 as an example, the 7.2v 500 (the rating is usually stamped on the side or end of the motor) which has a Kv rating of 2000, set up with an 8" x 4.5" prop and 2s LiPO pulls about 22-23 amps at full throttle.
If you leave everything the same but change to 3s LiPO, the amp draw goes up to a whopping 37 amps, well over the rating for your ESC. Meltdown.
But with a 500 8.4v motor, doing the same thing (2S LiPo vs 3s LiPo), the amp draw goes from 19 amps with 2s to 26 amps with 3s. Simply put, a motor made for higher voltage (with a higher Kv) can take more volts without overloading.
Problem is, the higher Kv motor (the 8.4v version) wasn't too happy with the 8" diameter prop, efficiency was around 50%. Changing it to a 7" x 4" prop brought the efficiency up to 60% + and thrust/amp draw were still good. Propspeed (airspeed, in a perfect world) was too high for a glider, however.
That's where the calcs are so useful, but a Wattmeter is even better. The calcs are theoretical, the Wattmeter is real-life numbers.
So, I'll have to hold off on recommending the 3s conversion until we know which voltage 550 you have.
I'm not really trying to talk you into going brushless right away. I'd suggest trying the motor and 2s LiPo you have now. See if it works for you. If you want more power, there's several ways to go, Brushless would be the most expensive initially (new motor, ESC, bigger prop), but ultimately the best.
Ron

Thermalrunner
06-05-2010, 03:48 AM
I guys - I now have a Discus CS 2.6M sailplane and have metal gear servos for the Ailerons, and a Mini Hitec high torque for the rudder. Any suggestions for the elevator servo? I have a micro e-flite with good torque off a Heli a friend had, is it too light? It fits just right. The elevator hatch is pretty small.
Thanks in advance,
Dean

AEAJR
06-17-2010, 03:45 AM
I guys - I now have a Discus CS 2.6M sailplane and have metal gear servos for the Ailerons, and a Mini Hitec high torque for the rudder. Any suggestions for the elevator servo? I have a micro e-flite with good torque off a Heli a friend had, is it too light? It fits just right. The elevator hatch is pretty small.
Thanks in advance,
Dean

Let's see, you have a mystery servo and you want us to judge if it is good enough. Some reason you don't want to tell us the model or provide the torque specs?

Personally I feel the most important servo on a glider is the elevator servo. So that is the one that is worth the most money. Perhaps that will be helpful in making your judgement

Thermalrunner
06-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Okay, well, maybe because I don't know- interesting accusation for a community moderator. I bought a Hitec metal gear, high torque to be safe. And good luck with the bedside manner.

Thanks anyway, Aeajr.

Thermalrunner
06-17-2010, 04:32 AM
I was asking for advice- not trying to hide something. You are a rude, despite your awards. To many other nice people on other groups.

AEAJR
06-17-2010, 04:42 AM
I was trying to make a point. I appologize for getting a little too emphatic with my statement.

When you ask a question or advice you have to give people something to go on. You provided nothing we could use to advise you. YOu didn't even tell us you didn't know anything about the servo.

Then you asked advice based on a total lack of information. I was trying to help you see how that does not work.

Again, I appologize for any rudeness in my post.

StephenW
06-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Gents,
I have owned most of these type of gliders some I still have some I've sold off .
one of those was the Discus cs ,Because the servo is mounted in the fin and the moment arm is so short and a direct drive I used a run of the mill 9gram servo .
The servo brand Ive used is Hextronik HXT900 they have a 1.5 kg torque rating
and because of such a short moment arm full use of that torque is availble to the surface ,if your micro servo is rated to that sort of torque value then it will do the job if it isnt then source some Hextronic ones IMHO.
SteveW

Thermalrunner
06-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Thank you and sorry for my behavior.

StephenW
06-17-2010, 08:26 AM
I guess we all have our moments this internet thing can cause some drama at times because the written word can be taken the wrong way with great ease . As I'm sure this is the case with AEAJR whom did apologize for it so I'd say smile and carry on we are all friends here :)
SteveW

ArneH
06-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Just like many others I want to try DLG. I am used to Hand Launch, but discus throwing is new for me.
I like the smaller models that do not need the large space to fly. I intend to start with a simple inexpensive model like this from Hong Kong:

http://images.r2hobbies.com/rcpl2001001/02s.jpg

Just to find out if my "not so young longer" arm and shoulder still tolerate this form of action.:rolleyes:
Just remember to warm up the joints before throwing. This little 1,2 m. 2 channel DLG is on its way to me with EMS right now. And I cant wait to start a new adventure in the noble sport of RC soaring.:tc:
I also got a very good offer I couldn't resist from my contacts in Russia. The 1m Neon DLG. This one cost a bit more, and there is a waiting list. But I know they are ready molded now. And I will have it in a few weeks.

I have burned all my Summer Holiday money now. So my plans for this summer, are staying home in Norway learning the art of DLG. Looks like a great form of Summer Vacation for me and my boys.:D
I will say Thank You to Watt Flyer for creating the Electric Sailplane Forum. I will write some flight (or crash) reports here, when I receive my small gliders.

TM4197
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Good luck on your new form of saiplaning! I think you will really like it. Your in a great area for thermals! I lived in Oslo for a bit, HUGE lift in that area!! Your kids will love this as well! Nice to see your getting them interested in something they can do OUTDOORS!!!!
GOOD LUCK!:tc:

ArneH
06-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Takk skal du ha TM4197! (Thanks a lot TM4197).:D:D

TM4197
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
velkomstsiden!!:D

StephenW
06-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Having finished My Fouga 90 I could turn my attention to repair the minor damage sustained by my Bearcat on its last outing and being able to have the bear back in 1 piece it was time to meet its hanger buddy, so here's the Fouga and Bearcat together at last. And before someone say they are in the wrong thread ,they are PSS models :) Put wing tip to wing tip they cover 5.2 mtrs
SteveW with a hurricane on the bench as well.

Sky Sharkster
06-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for posting the photos, you have a couple of great-looking models!
There must be some big slope lift in your area!
Good Flying and hope to see photos of the Hurricane when it's done,
Ron

tobydogs
06-27-2010, 11:50 PM
a new title for the sail plane forum....very nice! a quick note on the areocraft skimmer 600, I'm already getting 20min flights regularly now as i needed to monitor the battery draw from motor burst to altitude and soaring around while learning to control with minimal input to reduce drag.

yesterday i had three flights with variable direction winds that went from light to moderate[3-8mph],i was up and searching around for where the lift might be best when a hawk circled around the end of the field by the tree line.....he[or she] never flap wings at all and clearly theres lift there....so i went over as the hawk circled away and the skimmer hung there in slow smooth circles for longest flight time yet within between power up to regain altitude.:Q:Q:Q:Q.....i was so at peace floating around in that spot that i lost track of time,my neck got soar:blah:. i would loose altitude but would rocket verticale climb under power for 15 20 seconds and cicle around some more .

the club safety/flight line guy also flew a glider there with the same results,he then flew past [over ]the flight line which i thought was a no no. gliders are allowed to soar there ,but not gas powered planes.

when i get back from vacation, I'll take a beach chair that sits low ,is easy to keep in the car and it reclines complete with a little pillow....i better set the timer for sure as the motor i have in the skimmer rockets to heights in seconds...then its poweroff....and float away.

the field I'm at has slopes on all sides as its located on top of a closed land fill,the slope might be 75 to 100ft high.....is it possible to slope soar on a windy day? time will tell what i can and can't do .got a lot to learn. hoping to get a few lessons from the local hawks..lol...:ws:.

StephenW
06-28-2010, 12:18 AM
This is the launch zone for the slope we fly these models at.
SteveW

ArneH
06-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Yes Stephen!! Your slope Aircraft are extremely cool! Haven't seen many of these here up North.:ws:

ArneH
06-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Stuart. There is nothing like a good balsa model. I have been following your adventure with the Skimmer, and it looks great.
I am in the middle of a balsa build myself, but not a glider. Beside the put together of the DLGs. Maybe a Skimmer as a winter project, when I have finished all my other projects. Watch the skimmer well, as it seems to fly high up and far away.:tc:

tobydogs
06-28-2010, 02:29 AM
steve,thats some site you all fly at....whats the height of the slope?...it would be fun to run a hangglider off the edge:Q.

arne, the skimmer was a very fun build,you know the relaxing kind[popcorn],i'm glade i put ailerons on it as it will turn very quickly...the motor is very powerful,i forgot to mention that in all out throttle the wing begin to noticeably flap,not just flutter . it was in a dive wot and i saw the wings shake:blah: .won't be testing structuale strength :Q,if i get to steep into a dive i better be careful pulling up .

before i got married 23 years ago i flew a hangglider ,moyeswing esprite at ellenville ny. after 2 years there i took a 30 day road trip cross country and flew in tennasee"" lookout mountain,also flew a dunne in utah in 25mph+ winds that blew everyday and switched direction in the evening.dune was only 200' high and good pilots would travel the dune in the day and when the winds switch they would stay aloft and switch to the other side the was mountian flying .i didn't do to well there,flew the edge of the dune,dropped back to land ,only to get blown over into a great ground loop. i didn't know to step out front and hold the nose of the wing into the wind so it would trim itsself a could be held with one hand...lol....i grabed on to the controlbar to fight the lift with my body weight. the wind won:oops:. [i must have looked very funny to the locals:Q]

the best site of all was the forest at californa ,dunlap flight park.3800' above the landing zone.a ramp launch:D ,thermals wisked me up to 7000' at a rate to loose your lunch by:eek:. then when landing ,there was a area called the rock,beautiful thermal lift to make landing a chore.of several flights there the funnyest was my trying to gain lift and when i climbed 2000' above launch my hand began to freeze,i grabed the glove cliped to a flight wire and lost all the gain in height to traverse in front of the ramp for several minute...it was bumpy and i decided to land...no sooner had i begun flying away from the hill then a thermal grabed hold and i spun circles to climb out to 7000' above the lz .what a site to see the tall pine turn small before my eyes. this was the first time i ever turn green and thought i was going to puke. i bee lined it to lz only to be held up by another pilot enjoying the lift of the rock...i was 300' above him yelling[i knew he couldn't hear]"go down or i'll puke on you!"once i got down it was all a great story to tell the guys on the camping area.

the good old days....great memories:$.

StephenW
06-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Stuart,

Mt Borah is the site of the 2007 paragliding world champonships
here the promo from last years slope fest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2EYCIiD5E&feature=player_embedded

BTW you may have heard about this
Ewa Wisnierska, 35, the top-ranked woman paraglider pilot in the world, was practising for this month's world championships at Manilla, in northeast NSW, when she was sent hurtling up to 9900m - 1000m higher than Mt Everest - as she attempted to fly between two storm cells on Wednesday afternoon.
that was in 2007

SteveW

ArneH
06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
You have a great site! Like the place to land on the top! My every day problems are to many trees and bushes.

StephenW
06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Arne,
the launch Landing area on all 4 launch sites are cover with astro turf bit of a problem to slow up on through ;) there is also a 15 mtr wide 300 mtr long grass strip on top :) Stil l would love to fly some of the slopes in Norway with out doubt one day maybe.
SteveW

tobydogs
06-28-2010, 10:04 PM
9900 meters......:eek:...over 32,000 ft up:blah:, was she outfitted with a small oxygen supply? thats a very cold place she flew up to:Q. i believe it though....paragliders are at the mercy of a strong thermal,in fact i read of the parasails colapsing do to turbalancein thermals. i had a double surface 180 glider that flew my 200 lbs very easy.all i would do is pull in the control bar and sprial down even on those wonder wind days i never had issues.

a wonder wind day is when a pilot flys away from the mountain over the lz [landing zone] and there s lift everywhere:Q.i remeber a day at ellenville ny that everyone landed except a newbe pilot who couldn't break thru the lift....it was a beautiful sunset when i landed and we put headlights on the lz as the newbe finaly came down...lol....he should have flown futher away from the lift zone but was affaid....all good fun.

i don't want to hijack the thread:tc:,its not about past thrills...lol:ws:.some day i'll share my crash story where i was nicknamed "rc":oops:

AEAJR
06-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Sounds like that Skimmer is having a great time in the air.

StephenW
08-13-2010, 01:39 AM
well this is the slopies I'm taking to the event this year, simply becuase thats all that will fit in the car :) thought you all may enjoy a peek at some of the aircraft in my hanger.
SteveW

ArneH
08-13-2010, 09:16 AM
You have some really cool Slopers Steve! Interesting to spot the different type of models flying at the Slope.

dgoebel
09-06-2011, 05:46 AM
My EP and Thermal (winch launched) flight report for the day Labor Day, 5 Sep 2011. A fellow member of our local MRCSS decided to bring his winch out to one of our sod farm flying sites today and invited everyone (in the MRCSS group) to come on out and join him. Mike T got there before 10 with some others trickling in and flying. When I showed up about 11, there were 4 or 5 guys flying off the winch or at least one was a Radian flying.

I started with my Frequency checker and found someone already on the one 72Mhz channel I had along, so I broke out the 2.4 radio and my fairly stock Easy* for it’s last fairly stock flight. Gonna upgrade to a Brushless inrunner and Lipo batteries soonest, wanted to get an idea of what it’s rate of climb was before the upgrade.

Had my RAM altimeter in three different planes, Multiplex Easy Star (climbs at about 200ft/min) Radian (climbs at about 950 ft/min), and Mike launching my Vtail RE on his winch at 2580 ft/min, during the first 6 seconds of his launch.

First and last Easy Star flight of the day was 28 minutes of motoring and thermalling, yes Easy Star’s will thermal for those who’ve wondered….<G> Remember, stock Nicd 600Mah battery, 28 minutes. Max elevation for the ES was 492 AGL. Motor powered climb rate was 150 – 200 ft/min. Some of my thermal rates of climb were over 200 ft/min.

After that I broke out the Radian, rates of climb in the 500 to 950 ft/min, first flight was 30 min 13 sec,
Stock with 1300 Mah battery, max elevation approx 675 AGL, and again cored some thermals and enjoyed a beautiful sunny day, blues skys puffy white to grey clouds blowing up above us.

Broke out the Open Class V tailed RES (downgraded to RE only) to get some winch time.
My thanks to Mike for bringing his winch, giving me my first winch launches in 5 years! Also thanks to Mike and fellow MRCSS member Ib for helping trim my V tail open class glider.

When I launched on the winch, best I got was about 1300 ft/min, Mike hit over 1900 ft/min twice.

Thermals were booming all day, by the way, thermal rate of climb for my Easy Star, Radian and the V Tail open class were all around 200 ft/min, though the Radian and V Tail both exceeded that on occasion, up to 380+ ft/min on the VTail.

Met Andrew O. there too, we both chatted about our Radian's a bit, I'm very happy with my purchase. On my 2nd Radian flight of the day (after everyone left, but my wife showed up with lunch) was just over an hour on the stock battery, and I was getting pretty tired of flying by 5 pm. RAM altimeter maxed out data about 13 min's into the 30+ min Vtail RE final flight of the day, It was climbing though 1200ft pretty steady, and I recall the highest part of the flight was around 19 minutes. Have to bring the laptop next time to dump flight data more often.

I plan on being out sloping in SD with our club in a couple weeks, will put the altimeter to high rates on the slope days just to what kind of elevations we're hitting with the wind blowing up the hills...

If you wanted to fly today, but couldn't, you have my sincere condolences, it was beautiful here in central Minnesota!

TM4197
09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
DG: Thanks for the info...all really neat numbers to know! Nice that you guys had good weather to soar.

Old Fart
09-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Only fly slope, didn't even get a chance to do that this weekend. Too busy with house guests....from Minnesota :)

bluzjamer
09-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Guys I love this forum....so much info and help. 30K feet without oxy I don't know how she lived.....good reading though. I belong to two clubs here in Rhody. I got my wings at a gasser club after a 40 year absense on an electric Cessna and Hawk Sky.
I joined a Soaring club which onlt allows gliders and electric flight and love that club.
I started flying my electrics there but now mostly fly electric gliders. I have a walking disability and can't lay out a high start. I cringe when I land far away. I have a used E Bot that I love, a Skimmer I bought off one of the club members that fly lots, and a Vista EP. The Vista and skimmer both have brushed motors and I run 3s lipos in them 1800 mah in the Skimmer and 2200 mah in the Vista. I tried a 2s in the skimmer but it was very slow and hardly climbed and the owner used to fly it with a nicad pack at 8.4 volts. Nothing comes down more than warm and I get quite a few climbouts to 600'. We fly near a small airport and have to keep watch for private aircraft, it is a lightly used airport. We all keep clear of full sized aircraft. Have a v tail EP glider I'm trying to get airborne. Bought it used but very little room in it to stuff the bat and rx and had to replace the pushrods as the old ones kept flexing too much. That one has a BL motor and will use a 2s in that one if I can fit one...trying to fit a 1000mah or 1300....may have to think smaller. Pushrod length are 27-28 ". Had 032 wire and am thinking of going up to 062 or using 256 ends with either balsa or CF rods. May try small dowels if I can get the weight down. Hope to get this up this year. Love this hobby. Have been know to jump out of perfectly good airplane but that was a long time and many lbs ago.

pistnbroke
11-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and slope flying with a little as 2 hours stick time. I have built 4 slope soarers and have had great results after alot of reading.

This is my most recent build, the Limit Ex at 150%. I built this after having so much fun with the 22 inch span. It is quite a fast little thing and I have yet to master a decent landing with any of my slope soarers...guess I will just have to practice more :)

Regards
Ian

noobab
12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
hello
looking for plans to build a U2 pss model

any one have any plans
sean