PDA

View Full Version : Scratch-build Piper Cub for 1st plane

Voyager2lcats
06-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I would like to thank everyone who is a member of this site because it is extremely informative and a lot of the posters show their dedication and enthusiasm for the hobby by helping out others. I'm making a shameless plug for a gentleman named Carl Rankin, from whom I recently purchased plans for a foam, scratch-build Piper Cub. If you are interested in building your own, I can't recommend a better way to spend a $12.00 check. Carl will send you a cd-rom disk in a jewel case in the mail. It contains 156 pages of instructions and 14 pages of templates viewable in pdf format (Adobe Acrobat in layman's terms). The instructions are fantastic. Carl assumes you know nothing about building (which is somewhat true for me). I can't say enough about the quality of this cd-rom. I found out about Carl and his Piper Cub in Quiet Flyer magazine earlier this year. There was a great article with his e-mail address if anyone wanted to contact him. I am posting it again as a public service. The best part about Carl's plans is the Piper Cub is made out of foam sandwich containers (jumbo size; I previously stated "large") which you can buy in a package or (as I have) salvage from those deli platters you like so much. Carl Rankin's e-mail address is: flyingpuppets@yahoo.com

Voyager2lcats
08-29-2006, 09:36 PM
This is a follow-up to my April posting. The scratch-built Piper Cub is ready to fly this weekend! My wife Veronica has generously agreed to film the glorious (fingers crossed) occasion. Since my 4-year-old son Thomas is an avid airplane fan, we are going to use the Labor Day weekend to fly around an open field near where I work at Fort Jackson, SC. Go Army! When I get around to it, I am going to paint it in the colors of a United States Army Cessna utility aircraft (I guess they have Piper Cubs as well). If anyone knows of a nice website illustrating the white and red US Army paint design, please let me know.

firemanbill
08-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Voyager2lcats! First off let me say Welcome to WF! I don't see how this post never got any replies??? I must have missed it as well.

Anyway Best of luck to you on the maiden this weekend! Hope all goes well and you have a good report for us.

Post some pics of this bird if you can. It sounds really intersesting!

Voyager2lcats
08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey Firemanbill,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been viewing many posts on this site over the last few months to find construction tips and recommendations for foamies. I am very impressed with the dedication of most posters. I know my first post had a lot of visits, but since it was really just an announcement and a plug for Carl Rankin's plans it didn't garner much in the way of responses. I will take a "before flight" picture, in flight(?) and "after flight" picture (hopefully it will look the same as the "before flight"!). I will be sure to post them. No matter what happens, I am really looking forward to flying!

Voyager2lcats
09-05-2006, 04:34 AM
I flew my scratch-build Piper Cub today. Conditions were temp: 89 degr.; humidity: high; winds: gusting from 5-15 mph (i.e too high for this newbie, but damn the torpedoes!). Results: excellent ROG take off with strong vertical climb out (did 45 degree hammerhead on first one- oops!). Major damage after calling it quits= slight bend in right side landing gear wire and broke one prop blade on a nose down landing (looked okay at the time, but broke later at home). I have a replacement, so flying will continue. This little baby is tough!! My longest flight ended in a strong wind gust and a tree branch landing; damage: None. You want a pleasant trainer with power? This is your baby. I had a blast.

Cowboy
09-05-2006, 05:07 AM
Voyager
Maidens are always a blast, glad it worked out. Now we need pics like you promised, and specs on the plane like wingspan, weight, power, you know things like that are important to share.

Voyager2lcats
09-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Okay, here they are (I hope). I am attempting to attach some pictures for everyone's perusal. This airplane is held together by Target brand clear tape (59 cents per roll). If you like CA, epoxy, gorilla glue, or Elmer's, then by all means use them, but this stuff is gold. It is an extremely pleasant plane to fly for a first timer (me!). Once I get the landings down, flights will be even more exciting. I must give major kudos to Carl Rankin for this little bird, because she is immensely fun!

Bob

Voyager2lcats
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Hmm. Wingspan is 45", fuselage is 30(?)". All up weight: Unknown. Motor is a GWS IPS-B; ESC is GWS ICS-50F; Rx is GWS R4PII; Propeller is GWS 10x8; and 2 servos are Blue Arrow BA-TS-3.6 (rudder and elevator). I bought most of it from Tower Hobbies online and Draganfly.com. Prices were less than competition. Tower has the best availability in my brief experience. I don't have a local hobby shop, unless you call 20 miles local.

P.S. I purchased the the GWS 4 channel transmitter from Microrcflyer.com (great price).

Eric_N57105
09-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Okay, here they are (I hope). I am attempting to attach some pictures for everyone's perusal. This airplane is held together by Target brand clear tape (59 cents per roll). If you like CA, epoxy, gorilla glue, or Elmer's, then by all means use them, but this stuff is gold. It is an extremely pleasant plane to fly for a first timer (me!). Once I get the landings down, flights will be even more exciting. I must give major kudos to Carl Rankin for this little bird, because she is immensely fun!

Bob

Looks great, Bob and congratulations on a successful maiden flight. I bought the CD from Carl, but haven't actually started the build yet as I have two other projects ahead of it. You're the second rave I've read about it though.

Eric
www.ke6us.com

Voyager2lcats
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Eric,

Thank you. Carl Rankin's instructions are pretty meticulous. The position of all the electronics is spot on the mark. I did not even use a guage to determine the center of gravity of the wing. The plane's handling characteristics are very stable and response is excellent- even in gusting winds (gulp!). I wish you as much enjoyment and learning about construction as I have in the last few months. This is a plane that will give back what you put into it.

GallopingGhost
09-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Well... ring my bell... Where did you find the foam trays at?

firemanbill
09-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Very nice voyager! glad to hear it flies well and you are having fun with it. That is what this is really all about isn't it???:D

Between the foam trays and tape what do you have in the bird itself? 50 cent???:D

You really can't beat that! And replacement parts are cheap too!

Voyager2lcats
09-06-2006, 03:12 AM
The trays called for in the plans are jumbo size take out; what you would get if you took home a dinner from a restaurant for a steak dinner. I (ahem) "improvised" by going to the local Publix grocery store and asking if I could have some of their used meat trays (twice as thick [1/8"] as the aforementioned variety [1/16"] as well as longer and wider; 7.5" x 9") for a crafts project. That would be a "NO!" as in contaminated material in a lawsuit, but the guy at the meat counter told me he had 26 large meat trays that the store had not ever used so I could have them for FREE. Okay, that was total luck. So if you factor in the cost of electronics (Tx, Rx, ESC, motor, battery, and servos), it came to about $130. Plans were $12.00, but well worth it. I did use the jumbo tray foam for the tail structure to reduce weight and drag, but performance seems very good for a slight increase in overall weight. I have no complaints.

Voyager2lcats
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
I flew the Piper Cub this Saturday and cracked the nose after stalling out on a right turn/take off. I should have just let her take off and then circled right, but hey it's more fun to take chances, right? Needless to say the stall was harder than I thought because the motor was still going flat out. I managed to shut it off before I hit, so it wasn't too bad. I didn't notice that the motor was now pointing to the right. So now it has an ugly pull to the right on take off similar to a WW1 Sopwith Camel. I finally called it quits (still flyable by the way) and took it home. I pulled out the cardboard template for the top nose cover/engine mount and made a new nose cover and mount from part of a left over foam food box (with plenty in reserve!). Taped it together using the same procedure called in the orginal plans and- voila!- good as new. I will try and fly it this Saturday and post the results. I have a new spectator; my mother-in-law wants to watch as well as my wife and son. Note: this plane takes off great from asphalt and concrete; just make sure you have enough tape on the tail skid.

Voyager2lcats
09-18-2006, 03:38 PM
As mentioned previously, I repaired the nose with a new engine cover/mount cut from styrofoam. I had purchased a 7.2 V, 220 mAh NiMH battery as a backup/alternative, so I gave it a try. It weighs 40 grams; almost half the weight of the 270 mAh NiCad (72 grams). Needless(?) to say, the Piper Cub is a bit more peppy without that extra 32 grams. Center of gravity is unaffected. The only thing that kept me from flying until dark, was my transmitter battery warning light! So I'll give the transmitter battery pack a good fast charge before I go fly again. Still haven't transferred film from analog to digital-but stay tuned. I can see a streaming video in the future. Especially after the upcoming paint job.

socal swimmer
10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
so the fuselage is hollow? including the nose? is it strong enough?

is it the type of trays that meat comes on from the grocery store?

Voyager2lcats
10-03-2006, 04:14 AM
Social Swimmer,

I'll quote the plane's designer: "This design motor mount is a little weak, on purpose so that in a crash it crushes the foam (that is easy to fix) instead of damaging the expensive parts." It's the equivalent to a car body collapsing and shedding parts as an energy dissipating method in a crash. So the nose and fuse are hollow but pretty resilient- I have crashed into the ground at full speed from a 45 degree angle and flew it the next weekend. I think it flies better now than when I first built it (or maybe my flying skill level is improving?). The foam trays are the big ones you see in the meat section. You could almost fit an entire chicken on it. If you build it, you should use the thinner dinner take-out trays for the tail section (reduces drag). There is no crash so far that I have not been able to repair.

Voyager2lcats
10-12-2006, 04:19 AM
Nothing new here, other than an update on pictures. Paints are a combination of Ceramcoat and Apple Barrel acrylic gloss (Michael's and WalMart respectivley). So far no wearing off. Tried to fly during lunch today with mixed results (too windy). No damage and I guess it is good practice trying to stay aloft without ailerons in gusting wind. I won't fly tomorrow unless there is NO wind.

P.S. I'll be adding a Stars and Bars roundel (circa 1960s) to the left wing this weekend. Wish me luck!

Voyager2lcats
11-17-2006, 10:40 PM
This is just another little update. I have been modifying the Piper Cub for ailerons and it is ready for this weekend. Winds are supposed to be light here. I will post an updated paint job tomorrow. I am thinking I will probably fly Sunday afternoon. I am going to try both my NiCd and NiMh batteries and see which it handles better. Might even have some in-flight pics;)

Grasshopper
11-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Good luck with it Voyager! If it flys as good as it looks, she'll do great.

Voyager2lcats
11-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Tom,

Thanks! I was having a heck of a time today getting the ailerons to align with the wing- I don't know why. I think someone is sending some weird signal through my house because my cell phone won't work in the living room and the plane twitches when I leave the battery plugged in but have my transmitter off. I know it sounds like aliens from space or black helicopters eavesdropping on me, but I don't have a frequency checker to find out what it is. I think the real culprit is a HAM radio nearby but I don't know enough about frequency band and power bleed over. Some days it's fine.
Anyway, tomorrow is supposed to be 63 degrees, wind gusting to 6 mph, sunny, so anything goes! The ailerons are ready. I need to update the photo, since I painted a new stars and bars roundel on the top left wing. My wife was impressed- I will let everyone else reserve judgement.
One last thing: you really are a Grasshopper! You post everywhere. I can only imagine what your stable of planes amounts to right now. Amazing. I will say again that you did a beautiful job on that Stuka. Have you figured out why it is such a beast in the air? Your Richmodels Spitfire should keep you happy at least.:) Thanks for the encouragement!

Bob

Grasshopper
11-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Hi Bob,

Yeah, I jump around here a lot. I don't really stick to any particular threads just because there is so much to learn. I really enjoy reading about other peoples projects and seeing pictures of their work. This forun is kind of addictive.

Thanks for the compliments on the Stuka. I think the problem was probably with the CG. I moved it forward 1/4" and added some weight to the nose but I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I did get the Spitfire, P-47 and my Magpie out again this weekend though. I really like the war birds. I'm starting my P-38 this weekend so it should be ready just about the time it's really cold out.

Voyager2lcats
11-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey Tom,

I'm with you on liking warbirds. They are some of the most beautiful looking propeller aircraft. I'm modifying an Estes P-47 (a poor RTF version of the Cox ARF). The color scheme is different. Instead of the 56th Fighter Group colors, this one is silver with D-Day invasion stripes and a yellow nose. It would have been a yellow and black checkerboard nose, but I messed up the sticker/decal. No matter, I am going to repaint it. No flying this weekend. Too many chores on Saturday and a family outing to a state park today took precedence and everyone was tired by the time we all got back to town. Really too bad, because the weather was perfect.:( Maybe next weekend.

Bob

Voyager2lcats
11-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Here's a nice pic to liven up everyone's day:D I added ailerons and painted the U.S. national insignia on the wing of the Piper Cub. I will probably fly tomorrow if the planets align correctly;) My son has a cold, so unless he's better I probably won't fly (he hasn't missed a flight yet). He really loves to watch it! My wife has taken some nice pictures and film of it flying also. I will scan the pictures when I get a chance. I cannot tell you how much fun this plane has been. Bon chance!

Bob

Voyager2lcats
11-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Well, things didn't look good this past Saturday as I have not got the ailerons centered. The Cub will taxi nicely, but she won't take off. I ground looped it the third time I tried to take off and cracked the nose slightly but enough to end flying for the day. I am working on my Estes P-47, so the Cub is sitting in the closet waiting for my attention. This may take some time. I have made some smaller, thinner wings which are going to get the aileron treatment. So that might do the trick. Time consuming to remove and reattach the struts for the wings. I tried to hurry on the ailerons last time, so that is never a good thing. If the ailerons don't perform well, I will revert to rudder.:) Hope for good weather. Aloha!

Bob

Grasshopper
11-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Well, things didn't look good this past Saturday as I have not got the ailerons centered. The Cub will taxi nicely, but she won't take off. I ground looped it the third time I tried to take off and cracked the nose slightly but enough to end flying for the day. I am working on my Estes P-47, so the Cub is sitting in the closet waiting for my attention. This may take some time. I have made some smaller, thinner wings which are going to get the aileron treatment. So that might do the trick. Time consuming to remove and reattach the struts for the wings. I tried to hurry on the ailerons last time, so that is never a good thing. If the ailerons don't perform well, I will revert to rudder.:) Hope for good weather. Aloha!

Bob

Aloha??????? Please don't tell me you live in Hawaii!!!!:(

Voyager2lcats
11-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Tom,

No, I don't live in Hawaii- South Carolina is home. Lower cost of living, but higher crime rate(!). Weather is excellent for year-round flying; rarely freezes.:) I just like using "aloha" for the fun of it, along with "auf wiedersehen", "arivaderci", whatever. It's silly, but there you have me.;)

Bob

Grasshopper
11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
My daughter just moved to South Carolina (Beaufort) to the University of South Carolina. It's too far away as far as I'm concerned but it is a beautiful place.

Voyager2lcats
11-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Tom,

She is in my neck of the woods. I live in Columbia, received my degree from the University of South Carolina. It's a college town, military town, and a state government town (capitol) all rolled into one. Take care (see, I didn't use Aloha!:D ).

Bob

Voyager2lcats
03-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Now you might ask yourself, "Why did it take so long to change to a new set of wings and change back to rudder control vs. ailerons?". Well the short answer to that question would be- it is time consuming and the weather has been hit-and-miss for flying purposes. I will post a new picture as soon as I can find the battery recharger for my digital camera (oops!).:D I am pretty pleased with the wings. I added a fillet in between the two wings; makes it easier to fit the wings above the cabin/cockpit area. I have been watching the new posts to the foamies section and it has been very interesting. Thanks.

Bob

Voyager2lcats
03-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Just a quick update here. My little family (Me, my wife, and son) went out to our flying field yesterday and enjoyed the flight of my electric Cub with its new thinner wings (aprox. 35" wingspan). I had to change out the NiCad battery to the NiMH when it ran out of juice. The lighter battery made it a little tail heavy- it started to climb steeply with WOT. Instead of being smart and trimming it I porpoised it around. I inadvertently did an inside loop and landed it simultaneously once (yikes!). So I would say it was a success. Cheers and many happy landings.

Bob

Voyager2lcats
04-19-2007, 04:34 AM
I don't have a picture, but I will post it tomorrow (finally found my camera battery charger). I used a smaller take-out tray with compartments that nicely replicate the two halves of a Piper Cub cowl. I think it looks great- I need to paint it and the new wings, but it flies very nicely. Definitely thinking about the future in brushless technology as well.:rolleyes: It's late and now time for sleep.:)

P.S. I have not loaded the image yet, as I have been too busy perusing everyone's posts on other threads. I will atone for my neglect tonight by posting a picture.

Voyager2lcats
08-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Well, it's been a while since I last posted:o. My wife has some great video of the plane flying and my best landings to date (yeeha!). Unfortunately it is Hi8, not digital. I don't have any experience with converting analog to digital with film other than taking it to some place that sends out film for conversion to digital (i.e. a lab). So if anyone has any good suggestions (that means it won't cost more than $30.00), I am all ears. I am still a big supporter of this "little" plane (even though it's the biggest in my hangar). I am glad that people keep taking a look at it on my thread and hope that will continue. The thing I like is that this plane really proves that it is SIMPLE to scratch build your own RC airplane. It will give you the self-confidence to try building from free plans and build threads. If anyone has had success with this plane, I would be happy to see a post telling me about it. I can't promise a quick response, but post some pictures. I'll post a recent picture of the Piper Cub this weekend. Fly when you can,

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-23-2007, 05:35 PM
how are you connecting your servo control rods to the servo and the control horn?

I use a quick connect that allows me to easily adjust my control rods...

take a look at this....

http://www.slofly.com/cart3/product_info.php?products_id=24&osCsid=f6b3d3d66d01e3707fe111e775ab892b

Voyager2lcats
08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, you are going to think I am a real throwback, but I use nylon sewing thread as the control lines in a pull-pull rudder and elevator configuration (that's what Carl Rankin's plans told me!). They work fantastic (and very inexpensive). Have not had any breaks yet.
That's a nice price for the Dubro push rods. I like their stuff; I've got their 3" wheels for my SE5a scratch build biplane. Check out Tony65x55's build threads on RCG- excellent stuff for scratch building. FM you make Grasshopper look like a piker (sorry Tom!); I haven't seen anyone post like you in recent memory. Hang in there (easy for you, since you have a tail!). Fly when you can,

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-23-2007, 06:13 PM
you old fogie!!!

I want to do some pull pull controls, I am thinking about doing a very, very scale biplane with cable control lines for everything. But, it's a secret project, so I can't say more :D

Voyager2lcats
08-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Okay, I confess to being over 40! But my love is not limited to just OLD things! Hmm. I tried to think of something that wasn't a biplane and the next thought I had was a P-40 Warhawk! Wow, I guess I've pegged myself; Gee thanks FlyingMonkey! Didn't someone say "To know one's self is to love one's self"? That was pretty silly.
I am sure you will unveil your scale project when it is complete. Does your girl friend know about this one? Use that tail for good things! Fare well.

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Heck, I am not even sure what it will be...

I plan on doing a Jenny, before the next SEFF.

When I went to the last one, I visited the airport right up the road. Seems it is where Charles Lindbergh bought his first plane. Which was, a Jenny. Fixed it up and flew it away.

I was thinking about doing something in honor of that...

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 04:38 AM
FlyingMonkey,

That's a tall order to do a scale Jenny; reminds me of a sailing ship with all of that rigging between the wings and struts and landing gear. I guess you'll be starting on her tomorrow(!!!?). Actually that's a pretty enviable build- very historic and a solid aircraft. E-Flite makes a nice kit from what I have read, but then that isn't the point, is it? There is nothing like the pride of scratch building something that flies nicely. Definitely a good choice. Good luck and I will be looking for your Jenny build thread (no pressure of course). I went to a web site on Lindbergh's first solo flight and lo and behold he bought and flew a Jenny out of an airfield near Americas, Georgia! From small beginnings come great ventures! Keep flapping your wings,

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 04:39 AM
I said I was thinking about it.

I can think about such things for years...

:D

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 04:52 AM
FM,

Oh come on, what's wrong with spending your every waking moment fussing with glue, foam, rubber bands, tape, x-acto knives, all tied in with sleep deprivation. Why it's better than drugs or alchohol (not that I would know anything about that:)). Just think of how happy(?) it would make your girl friend. Hmmm. I guess there would have to be quite the "payoff" for that one. Well, there would just be no little monkies for a while.:( Good night!

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 04:54 AM
no little monkeys?

I am finding some planes right now!

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Ahem,

FM you might not be aware of this but creating little flying monkies might involve more than building some planes. But then I admit to being uninformed of the proclivities of FlyingMonkies. I know that Dorothy and Toto were terribly afraid of them, but that might be revisionist propaganda. You know that the Witch really gets the shaft in that story. Sniff!:sad: Watch out for those power lines, they singe fur.

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 02:47 PM
ohhh, I know.

It's the living, breathing, crying, crapping little flying monkeys that I intend to avoid.

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 02:52 PM
FM,

Cherish that thought. However, I have heard one was sighted over on the "Greatest Stryker Story Ever Told" thread. You might want to investigate.:)

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I can't do it, I just can't bear the thought.

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Sounds to me like it might be time to "gather up your marbles", if you know what I mean! But then I am struck by the thought that maybe little FlyingMonkies should be allowed the freedom to roam far and wide, flinging their poo with glee and disdain in equal measure. Sigh! Okay, maybe not.

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Weazilla has offered to pay to cut the binds that tie....

but of course she'd have to have a job first.

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
FM,

You nefarious flying poo flinger, you have, have,... hijacked my thread! Gasp! Okay, I am feeling better now. I nearly inhaled some coffee upon reaching the previous conclusion. Oh, woe is me! Taken over by a FlyingMonkey! I guess I shouldn't be so upset. Oh, give my thanks to Weazilla. I would consider accepting little FlyingMonkies in lieu of payment but they're just... too.... messy.

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 03:53 PM
you helped!

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Sir! (Uh, that's not an insult to FM's is it?),

I-I-I am appalled at the notion that I assisted you in hijacking my thread! Why that would mean that FlyingMonkies are in charge. We can't have that! There was a rumor that you were going to be in charge, but that has been largely squelched by evil forces outside of the Monkey Minions. I do not know their names!;)

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Fine, you didn't help, the monkey wasn't in charge.

You hijacked your own thread....

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
FM,

Don't take it too personally. Come back and torment me about the inadequacy of my feeble little IPS-powered Piper Cub as opposed to say- the numerous brushless-powered trainers that populate the advertisements now. See, wouldn't that be fun?(leaves after setting out FlyingMonkey food). Come on in, the water's just fine.

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 04:25 PM
right, I know a trap when I poo on one....

Voyager2lcats
08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
FM,

Here at the Scratch-build Piper Cub for 1st plane thread, I do not abuse FlyingMonkies. Umm. Some minor tormenting IS permitted, but whupping with sticks is clearly NOT allowed. It's not a PETA thing, just a moral issue. No, I don't subscribe to "beatings will continue until morale improves". Although, I will note that Tom (aka Grasshopper) is really tearing up the foam on his E-Flite P-47. (Sudden thought). Oh, I just hijacked my thread again. I give up. I may just have to join the Monkey Minions and suffer (note the word MAY).;) Fly when you can (probably a lot with those wings on yer back).

Bob

FlyingMonkey
08-24-2007, 05:05 PM
ohh you've just sealed your own fate, even with the word may...

Voyager2lcats
08-27-2007, 04:19 AM
Yes, it would appear that I have. Such is life.:blah:

Voyager2lcats
09-01-2007, 03:18 AM
I am going to fly early tomorrow AM (7ish), weather permitting. Apparently more rain is coming our way, but I am hoping that it won't get here 'til later. Fly when I can (my old title).

Bob the flying cat

Voyager2lcats
09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Just like the title says. It was gusting pretty good over 50' altitude, so I got blown downwind into a parking lot, had electric interference, managed to cut throttle and crash land it somehow. I should have stayed low and slow.:mad: Pretty minor damage; easily fixable. No $$$ will be spent on this one!:) Fly when I can.

Bob

FlyingMonkey
09-06-2007, 02:10 AM
well, maybe you will have it down pat, by the time you get to SEFF 08...

Voyager2lcats
09-06-2007, 05:53 PM
well, maybe you will have it down pat, by the time you get to SEFF 08...

I took a risk with the conditions. It was really beyond the plane's ability to fly in that much wind, but I wanted to test my piloting skills. I did pretty good, since I realized the higher altitude wind was even worse than the ground conditions. So I "landed" her pretty quickly. Like I said, very little damage- probably 15 minutes work making a new foam mount inside the cowling.:)

Voyager2lcats
09-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I have excellent news. Carl Rankin, the designer of this particular Piper Cub, has a new web site with his designs at www.flyingpuppets.org. Please check out his site and see if you like what is there. Carl unofficially refers to the Piper Cub as the "Friendship" because so many flyers who have purchased his plans continue to write him and let him know how much they enjoy his plane! That includes me.

Voyager2lcats
09-23-2007, 03:38 AM
I flew her Wednesday in gusting wind, and I have to say that she handled it pretty well. I even got blown into a tree, recovered her, and kept flying.:) I need to remember to put the NiCd battery in her when it's windy because the extra weight keeps her from being blown around as much. When it's calm I use the lighter NiMh battery.
I tried some pretty neat stuff- couple of touch and gos, throttling down into the wind and hover/stalling(!!), LOW altitude turns (6" above the ground on one), two minor flop landings. Only damage I can see is a 1/2 crack in one wing panel- white glue and tape and no problems. She is getting more worn, but structurally very sound. One last thing I do like about the NiCd- I seem to get flatter, shorter takeoffs with it. I took off in about 4' on one take off.:) This is a very fun plane.

Voyager2lcats
02-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Today I overdid it. Lots of intermittent gusting wind, a NiCd brimming with a fresh charge, and loads of thermals. Result: A Piper Cub climbing like a bat out of you-know-where and refusing to come back. So I put it into a death spiral and it went splat into a parking lot about 500' away. Battery, nose/motor, and fuselage+wings in three different locations. I could rebuild her, but she's getting pretty worn foam-wise. I'll post a photo of what she looks like and also post it to the crash forum.:(:)

Bob