chas swicegood
06-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Does anyone know anything about this plane? 2.6M petrel

Epowerreg
06-29-2006, 05:23 AM
not for a newbie ...wings not super strong but will work

chas swicegood
06-29-2006, 02:13 PM
thanks for the info. What kind of battery do you use?

Epowerreg
06-29-2006, 02:55 PM
10-16 cell NIMh or 3-5 cell LIpo this plane is not picky about battery flies on a meager AXI 2826-12 on a 3 cell lipo 12 X 6 prop all day long on just one charge..needs spoilerons to land

chas swicegood
06-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Thank you so much. chaz

TassieDevil
12-07-2006, 03:20 AM
Hi all.. first post here.. :)

I'm also interested in buying one of these models. I'm a fairly experienced glider guider and builder (including TD competition flying) but haven't done much of either over the past 10 years or so. Back when I was more heavily involved in the sport, I never really considered electrics becos the gear was a little too expensive for me, but the whole modelling game has changed now and I'm considering getting into electrics and back into flying.

I've tried to find some reviews about the kit/model but the only one I found was one hosted at the same site as where I'd be buying it from... (http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_model_reviews/esm_petrel_sailplane_review.htm). Unfortunately it's not very detailed so it would be nice to be able to get some comments from PPL who have owned/built/flown one.

I'm a little concerned about Epowerreg's comment above.. "wings not super strong"... 'tis a little ambiguous and could mean lots of things.. hehe. Does this mean the wings will bend on a violent pull-out of a high speed dive, or that they're a worry even with normal, peaceful thermal circling ? Too dangerous to attempt a roll or inverted flight ? Or even worse.. wing or tail flutter at higher speeds ? I'm curious as to how good the wing joiner/s is (steel rod, diameter ?), or about any other idiosyncrasies of the model. Could it ever perhaps be fitted with a towhook, or is the wing/joiner definitely not strong enough ? How strong is the fibreglass fuselage ? (I've heard some of the cheaper models often have weaker fuse build quality).

I know that the model also comes complete with a Speed 600 motor and folding prop. I was thinking that I'd probably stick with this to start with (just to keep the cost down), understanding that it's not going to climb out at jet-like speeds, but that's OK. I'm not really sure of what to expect from the standard plane performance-wise yet so maybe the standard is enough :) I don't even have an ESC yet either, so it's a bit of a dilemma as to whether I should buy a brushless-compatible ESC and motor up front, or start out with the standard, then upgrade later.

I can see from the review above that I'd probably change the pushrod connectors to something a little more contemporary.

Also, I have an old HiTec Challenger 550 5ch computer radio, but it has no mixing functions whatsoever, so spoilerons are not an option. So long as I find a decent place to fly it from (large open area), it shouldn't be too much of a problem tho.

Any other comments about the model would also be welcome.. :)

Regards,
Gary

radralph
12-07-2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8313802

Try some of these

Limited info but one post about folding wings may be interesting.

TassieDevil
12-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the link radralph... I did read the various posts.. after grudgingly being forced to sign up on their forum. Dunno why any forum requires membership just to READ... :(

That aside, the bad news is that it appears that ESM has gone out of business. I emailed Model Flight in SA and they informed me that the Petrel has been "discontinued". Bugger ! It was pretty much exactly the kind of model that I was after, too (ARF around 2.5m, FG fuse, plug-on sheeted foam wings with simple dihedral, R/E/A/T + flaps if possible, around 600-sized motor).

So for the last few days I've been scouring the 'net looking for something that I could buy instead. There's a heck of a lot of gorgeous ARF models around, but there's one problem in particular which seems to spoil the party in most cases. I've got a 5ch HiTec Challenger 550 FM PCM computer radio (with no mixing capabilities). I think most PPL now would consider the receiver to be "huge", and I've got a dozen or so standard-sized servos, and a couple of HS-80 "micros" (@ $50 each when I bought them, altho they wouldn't be considered "micros" any more, I'm sure). Most of the models today seem to cater for micro-sized gear, so finding a nice ARF ship to take this gear has proven to be quite a task so far. It doesn't help either that many sites do not mention gear size in the specs for the models.. :confused:

As I'm trying to keep the cost down (under say $AU300), I'd prefer to try and find a solution without having to buy a new receiver/radio as well. And there just doesn't seem to be much available in the Australian market to fill the gap for the same sort of $$$ :(

radralph
12-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Could be that you had to join because that link is the result of a search. i think the search function is members only??? Guest reading is allowed. I did it before I joined.

You might post your stuff on the sailplanes section here and at RCG and see what comes up. There are tons of people out there with way more knowledge on that stuff than me. Many have been doing it for decades!

There is also a sailplanes for sale section at RCG where many new and vintage airframes are available. You could post a "wanted" ad describing your needs and possibly get some decent hits. give it a try :)

Up&Away
12-13-2006, 10:05 AM
...(ARF around 2.5m, FG fuse, plug-on sheeted foam wings with simple dihedral, R/E/A/T + flaps if possible, around 600-sized motor)...

Have a look at this new one from Reichard. It's the next step after the Filip600Sport. http://www.rcm-pelikan.cz/index.php?kategorie=24&zbozi=1576