PDA

View Full Version : Newbe APer

rahtware
06-14-2006, 04:47 PM
with the dismal results I got with a returnable digicam I decided to go hunting for a light/cheap camera to buy. My local Staples was closing out discontinued HP products and I was able to pick up a 4MP camera for $60US.

This morning I mounted it on my old Slow Stick and took a few test shots... After changing props, motors, Cam-Batts, etc... I came up with a few good shots. Still not as sharp as I would like, but definitely usable and good enough to justify the expenditure.

This one is me and my landing strip... the road! When you live amongst tall trees you take what you can get.

Normal summer weather for the coastal range of Northern California... Foggy mornings.

So, what do you think?

aviatordave
06-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey those are good shots. I like the fog in the background.

I'm not sure how much that camera weighs, but alot of guys have had to 'beef' up the wing on the Slow Stick due to folding under load. You may have already done this...but just in case you didnt......

Did you do any post enhancing to the pics, or is that straight from the camera?

Dave

rahtware
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey those are good shots. I like the fog in the background.

I'm not sure how much that camera weighs, but alot of guys have had to 'beef' up the wing on the Slow Stick due to folding under load. You may have already done this...but just in case you didnt......

Did you do any post enhancing to the pics, or is that straight from the camera?

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the heads up on the wing... Will get to that before the next flight.

The only enhancing I did was to run them through Photoshop to shrink/compress them to "web" size. I should mention that conditions were good as it was early AM, there was no wind and the shadows weren't too harsh yet.

Am going south latter this week and hope to test it out in harsher conditions... I want to make sure everything is OK before the 15 day return window closes.

Randy Due
06-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Nuttin wrong with those!! I really like the 2nd one.

Randy

rahtware
06-15-2006, 01:38 AM
I wanted to take a picture of the CF rods I installed in the SS wing so decided it might be a good time to make a quick/unscientific comparison of the HP to my Canon S1IS.. I shot both in "auto" mode and from the same location. I then cropped both in PS for a semi-close-up. The only change I made between the two was to take a smaller sample of the S1IS photo as it is a 3.2 and the HP is a 4-MP camera.

The S1IS:

The HP:

I took these with my S1IS:

The camera mount (and other gear) on my Slow Stick:

The CF wing rods:

The wing is now rock solid! The picture also shows the rubber band "bungee" reinforcement to the landing gear. This worked fine.