PDA

View Full Version : My first AP video!

ForestCam
06-15-2006, 04:51 AM
I was bored tonight and decided to mess around with my CVS camcorder. My previous attempts at AP video yielded shots that looked like waves were going through them, interference from powering the camcorder off the reciever I suspected.

I broke open an old 750 mAh lipo pack I had laying around and desoldered one of the cells, made up a plug to hook it to the cam (along with a charging plug too) and off I went.

It was after nine before I got things done and I wasn't sure how the video would turn out because the sun had already set but I was pleasently suprised and best of all the interference is gone! :D

http://media.putfile.com/Evening-Flight-061406

qban_flyer
06-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Very good video Forest. :)

Lovely music as well! ;)

ForestCam
06-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Just for the record, none of those kids belong to me!:D

Kosh
06-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Very smooth, Thanks for posting the video.

qban_flyer
06-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Just for the record, none of those kids belong to me!:DHE, HE, HE. :D

Whenever I fly in the neighborhood they flock to the park once they see the plane airborne from a distance. :D

Nice park you have there. :)

ForestCam
06-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Actually that's here on the complex property, the neighborhood park is the ball field you see from above and I don't have enough room to fly there.:D

qban_flyer
06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
You are lucky to have such a nice area close by. I'll have to check the video again to see if can I spot the park. :)

I have a similar one .2 of a mile from our home. That's where I fly the Slow Stick and smaller models. ;)

rahtware
06-17-2006, 12:53 AM
I was bored tonight and decided to mess around with my CVS camcorder.
I was impressed by the quality of the video. So I had to find out what a CVS camcorder was... Are you saying that you took that great video on a returnable camcorder??? Have you done any of the hacks to it? Or do you turn it in??

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

qban_flyer
06-17-2006, 01:19 AM
My inquiring mind wants to know about that CVS camcorder wonder too. How long have you had it? What's the model number and do yout think it may still be available? :)

ForestCam
06-17-2006, 01:52 AM
Well my first purchace back in March ended up being a vesion 3.7 which at that time ended up being unhackable so I tossed it in a box and started looking around and finally found a version 3.4 that had been already hacked on ebay for around $40 shipped. I soldered on the USB connector which uses a male/female floppy drive power plug to attach to the camera simply because it was the smallest 4 contact connector I had and I've got a box of old floppy drives.

I had plans on possibly turning the first cam into a night vision "scope" but never got around to it. I guess you remove the IR filter off the lens, stick a half dozen IR LEDs to the front of the case and instant night vision. :D

I wanted to up the resolution to 640x480 but I couldn't remember how so I logged into camerahacking.com and from what I could see (didn't read the threads just the titles) they've come a long way since March and firgured out how to hack the later generation cameras.

qban_flyer
06-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the enlightening and detailed info FC. :)

I'd have to say that for your $40 investment, the video quality is excellent. :)

Kosh
06-17-2006, 03:23 AM
Much more info on the cam http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531020

dmmalish
12-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I was bored tonight and decided to mess around with my CVS camcorder. My previous attempts at AP video yielded shots that looked like waves were going through them, interference from powering the camcorder off the reciever I suspected.

I broke open an old 750 mAh lipo pack I had laying around and desoldered one of the cells, made up a plug to hook it to the cam (along with a charging plug too) and off I went.

It was after nine before I got things done and I wasn't sure how the video would turn out because the sun had already set but I was pleasently suprised and best of all the interference is gone! :D

http://media.putfile.com/Evening-Flight-061406

forrest did you notice at the 2:16 min point of your video there is an explosion or fire in the right upper portion of your video?? just curious

ForestCam
12-04-2006, 06:15 PM
After extensive forensic study and review I have come to the conclusion that what you're seeing is a flood light coming through the trees. :D